Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean Shepherd

Flivver

Practically Family
I used to listen to Jean Shepherd on WOR every night when I was in high school. As I recall, he came on right after the 10 PM news. He had an incredible ability to make his stories seem real...right down to the sound effects. I can still hear him imitating the sounds of his father's Willys-Knight as the "old man" pulled into the driveway!

davew

New in Town
I grew up listening to Shep on WOR in the mid to late 70s....just great radio.I think it is the flicklives site that will send you a 11 mp3 cd set of shep,you just burn it and return it.

Earp

One of the Regulars

Yes! I have these. I broadcast them (along with other, more vintage radio shows and music) via AM transmitter to my 1930 Kolster radio. Jean Shepherd is a true radio broadcasting icon. He had such talent for story telling and could describe things so perfectly you felt like you were there. My grandfather could do the same thing. Jean's books are a must read.

On a slight side note, has anyone here ever noticed what a fine job they did with the clothing and interiors for the movie they made from his story about the Red Ryder BB gun? When I was a kid a lot of things still looked like they did in that movie. It really made me nostalgic. You can read several stories about the restoration of the house they used in that film here:

http://www.flickstongue.com/

The kitchen in that house was dead on accurate.

In God We Trust, all others pay cash!

I listened on WOR mostly in my parents car as we drove back from visiting friends and relatives on holidays and weekends. We'd be on the Belt Parkway headed back to eastern long Island enthralled by the wit and wisdom of Jean.

Collectors Choice CD club has a couple of Jean Shepard CDs that they have sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21