Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jeans and shoes with Aero Half Belt

nerdator

New in Town
I got myself an Aero Half Belt. Now I feel that I need a pair of jeans and shoes that go with it. Any ideas? I thought of a vintage Lee or Wrangler, but I have no ideas about the shoes, normally I wear Doc Martens, black with or without toe cap.

Salv

One Too Many
Have a read through the Jeans thread - plenty of good information in there. Any of the Levi's Vintage Classic (LVC) reproductions would go well, and have a look at Aero again as they have possibly the best online selection of Levi and Lee repro jeans in Europe. A little closer to home for you is Rock A Tiki in Berlin who stock LVC and also the very nice Ace jeans by German company Dress-O-Rama.

As for shoes, I think a pair of classic Bass Weejun loafers in the same colour as the jacket would look good.

nerdator

New in Town
thanks for the advice, guys, Salv, I checked out the site for the jeans you mentioned, the store indeed is in Berlin, since I am from Berlin, I can go there next week, I already have an eye on a pair of vintage Lee in my size...

Salv

One Too Many
nerdator said:
thanks for the advice, guys, Salv, I checked out the site for the jeans you mentioned, the store indeed is in Berlin, since I am from Berlin, I can go there next week, I already have an eye on a pair of vintage Lee in my size...

That's handy, having the shop so close. Let us know what you buy.

nerdator

New in Town
Salv said:
That's handy, having the shop so close. Let us know what you buy.

I ordered two pair of jeans, a vintage Wrangler Blue Bell 1946 and a Levi's 1955 501 Fault Line. They told me they didn't have a retail store anymore, so I ordered online. It's funny because it's in the same city... [huh] I really hope both jeans will fit... Then it is going to be an expensive adventure, but I will stick with it, if not, well, then there will be one or two refunds :mad:

nerdator

New in Town
Salv, both jeans have arrived. I am happy with the Wrangler Blue Bell, perfect fit, looks great. Concerning the Levi's Fault Line, it was too long (no problem, why not having a turnup), my father, who has been wearing Levi's himself all his life, told me to launder it first, because the ones he used to wear in his youth were neither sanforized nor pre-shrunk. At this time they used to buy them one size bigger, wahsed it, after that you had a perfect fit. I did as he told me, keep your fingers crossed that all the laundring will help...

Salv

One Too Many
nerdator said:
Salv, both jeans have arrived. I am happy with the Wrangler Blue Bell, perfect fit, looks great. Concerning the Levi's Fault Line, it was too long (no problem, why not having a turnup), my father, who has been wearing Levi's himself all his life, told me to launder it first, because the ones he used to wear in his youth were neither sanforized nor pre-shrunk. At this time they used to buy them one size bigger, wahsed it, after that you had a perfect fit. I did as he told me, keep your fingers crossed that all the laundring will help...

How do they look with the jacket?

You'll only need to wash them in a short, cold wash, just enough to shrink the denim. If you like dark denim you won't want to lose too much of the dye yet. I bought a second pair of the 1933 501XX recently and washed them to shrink them to the right size, but they lost that really nice dark blue dry sheen that I love. I wish I hadn't washed them yet - they're a perfect fit and a great shape, but they don't look as good. My other pair of the 1933s didn't see a washing machine for the first two years (I steam cleaned them when they needed it) and they retained the sheen and faded perfectly.

So that's the jeans sorted out, what are you doing about shoes? These are popular with UK retro/vintage fans, although they're not authentically American:
a3e2_1.JPG

These are from a UK ebay store if you like them - a search for "chukka shoes rockabilly" should find them.

nerdator

New in Town
jeans and shoes

Hi everybody,

Sorry I kept you waiting all the time, but now I am back with some fresh pics of the new stuff I got. I told you about the Wrangler Blue Bell with a loose cut and my Levi's 501 1955 Fault Line. Well, the pants got company, a 1937-style 501 with cinchback and front rivet. Then there is a new pair of shoes from one of my favorite shops for vintage clothing here in Berlin. Here is the URL so that you can check it out for yourselves: http://www.blue-moon-shoes.de/. Unfortunately, on the website, there are only shoes to be seen, but they have a lot of other stuff, such as vintage jackets or shirts or English deadstock shoes.
I have bought shoes there for almost 17 years now, Doc Martens mainly, and that's where the black and white shoes are from, bouncing, doc-martens-like rubber sole, white stitching, suede flap under the eyelets. I love them, I could walk in them for miles, though they need a little time to break in, especially at the heels. The other pair is a little older, 7 years or so, the quality of the leather is superb, the sole is made of leather too, so the soles wear off pretty fast because I am tall and heavy (6'6'', 255lbs). That's the reason why I have been a faithful customer with my local shoemaker because he would repair the worn off pieces with rubber patches. So you can enjoy the shoes for years, unlike the ones with a rubber sole, once they are worn off, it is difficult to replace the missing areas. Well, I think that they go well with my jacket, although it is too warm now for an Aero Half Belt ..., by the way, does anybody have a good idea for a vintage-style summer jacket, leather or denim?

here are the pics:

the Wrangler Blue Bell
wrangler_bluebell.jpg

the new shoes
shoe_blue_moon_02.jpg

the older shoes with leather sole
shoe_blue_moon_01.jpg

the 55 Fault Line 501
levis_55er_faultline.jpg

the 37 cinchback 501
levis_37er.jpg

I am really sorry about the quality of the pics, I promise I will find out about the correct close-up function of my digicam [huh]

Marty M.

Vendor
Huh?

nerdator said:
I got myself an Aero Half Belt. Now I feel that I need a pair of jeans and shoes that go with it. Any ideas? I thought of a vintage Lee or Wrangler, but I have no ideas about the shoes, normally I wear Doc Martens, black with or without toe cap.
Please excuse my ignorance, what's a Aero Half Belt?
Marty Mathis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace