Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans?

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I have a pair of the Freddies of Pinewood jeans which are great and a Viven of Holloway wide legged pair, both of which are repros. I tend to wear jeans with a shirt and cardigan or western/plaid shirts. I've gotten a lot of inspiration from the Sears catalogue books on how to wear jeans with a more authentic look. I would love to have an authentic vintage pair of jeans (or dungarees as they were called) but the ones on Ebay usually have really tiny waists. I do actually have a deadstock pair from the 1950s sitting in my cupboard which are about an inch too small!

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
Twinkle said:
Like Fleur, I go for Freddies of Pinewood..

http://www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk/

back1.jpg

freddies2.jpg

Great fit and only £35.... Wash up great too.

I hope that this helps

Estelle :)
thease look so good ;) i love the high waist. i don't wear jeans, have one pair though, that my loving hubby bought me a couple of years ago, they still have the tag attached...lol however thease look so comfy, i might just get a pair

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
Jeans are a must for me too. Running around after the kids means sometimes needing something hard wearing and casual. I like blue to dark blue jeans, cropped for summer, long with turn-ups for winter. I do have one black pair of 501's, but the rest are cheap'n'cheerful:)

epr25

Practically Family
I saw the complaints about Old Navy above but I was just in there at lunch today and saw that they had a style that were sort of a sailor pants cut? High waist wide leg. Has anyone tried these on? I didn't have time when I was in there but they looked promising.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I have lots of pairs of vintage jeans but my absolute favourites (high waisted side zipping and slim leg) are falling to pieces. Does anyone know of anyone in London who can make copies of garments? I'm desperate for another pair. x

ShortClara

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
This sounds crazy but my sister got a really cute pair from Old Navy for about $35. They are more narrow cut and maybe a little 70's though. My sister has wide hips and they look amazing on her. Also Urban Outfitters had some for around 65.00 I think. I keep checking stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls but haven't had any luck yet.

DeadPan, I just got the Victorias Secret London High-Waisted jean and they fit gorgeously! I have to hack a foot off the bottom *sigh* but once I do I'll be wearing them incessantly. They have little top-stitched front pockets and a little 70s, but they are cute as heck and i don't care!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I just bought a pair of high waisted, wide legged dark denim pants at Anthropologie on sale for $39 this weekend. I checked online to find a photo to share and noticed they had quite a few versions of sailor pants in the sale section. Thought I'd share.

Dani California

Familiar Face
I used to hate old navy jeans, but a few weeks ago I ended up buying their dark wash sweetheart classic fit jeans. They fit really nice and are cheap, which is great considering the fact that I used to buy expensive jeans, but they never lasted...holes, would shrink, etc. Such a waste of money. But, the other day I went into J.Crew and fell in love with their dark wash bootcut classic fit. A little more expensive than old navy, but definitely better quality. They're $99, but i got them on sale. Not as high waisted as 40's jeans, but definitely up there compared to lowrise jeans. I ended up going back last night to get another pair:)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i went to Buffalo Exchange today, tried on four pairs of jeans by four different companies, and NONE of them fit properly!! i'm just looking for plain old modern jeans that aren't TOO low and are decently made. j-crew seems to be the brand that fits me, but i've been fluctuating in weight and am not ready to drop $100 until it settles a little more.

besides 40s jeans though, i have to admit i love sailor dungarees for an updated-yet-vintagey look.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Old-fashioned dream jeans

Hello gang!

My Freddies of Pinewood Classics arrived today and they fit like a dream! :D I'm super duper happy because jeans have never done that before. They're so flattering, they make me feel like a million bucks! Hooray!

Twinkle said:
Like Fleur, I go for Freddies of Pinewood..

http://www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk/

back1.jpg

freddies2.jpg

Great fit and only £35.... Wash up great too.

I hope that this helps

Estelle :)

olive bleu

One Too Many
sadly, the only jeans that are comfy on my pear-shaped bod are modern ones with spandex....i only have one pair..i just wear dresses and skirts as much as i can and clamdiggers in the summer

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
Lauren said:
Jeans are my best friend. They're sturdy and comfortable and you can crawl under tables and not be obscene. I made up a pair of 30's pants in denim with side buttons and wear them with either sandals or lace up saddle type shoes or keds, which are all period correct. I pair them with boat neck striped shirts with 3/4 sleeves and tuck them in, then put a contrast belt around the waist and wear a beret for a nautical type look. I'll put on a puffed sleeve button up shirt or with a sweater with a long scarf. Pretty much anything.
Here's a snapshot of a more casual look from the summer with a handkerchief tie top and a scarf in my hair.
l_4e568a41c950f32c8e186f044804c3ba.jpg
I love this look..and i must totally agree with you that jeans are a gals best friend..I work in a library and I have to be very careful of the jeans I wear...Im always running around helping patrons back and forth..bending over to bottom shelves and chasing little children who are a riot..Jeans are the best thing to wear in an athmosphere like this...I want to get new jeans like these and trow out all the modern ones I have..I always have to pull them up because they are either too low rise or dont fit me right. Where would I be able to find patters to make my own?? I love your pants in this picture...they look great!!:eusa_clap

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I was just thinking today about buying a pair of jeans. I am thinking of going with the jeans from DaddyO's. I like the dark color of them.

However, as soon as I buy a nice demin with a widge of lycra in them, I'm going to make a vintage pair based on that popular vintage repro pattern that has been floating around for awhile.

Wish me luck!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks, Ritzy!

And Miss Dottie, which repro pattern are you talking about? If there's a jeans pattern out there I've GOT to get it. :)

Mary

Practically Family
Wow you look wonderful! I've never seen jeans look that good!

I'm wondering how wide your jeans are. I've always thought sturdier fabrics would look better more narrow and flimsier as more widelegged. But I guess there isn't such a rule.

But would you please tell me roughly how wide they by your feet?! (I'm always confused by pattern pictures where all pants look the same(wide) but aren't in reality)

M

l_4e568a41c950f32c8e186f044804c3ba.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Inky

One Too Many
exquisitebones said:
Does anyone on here own these denim Vivien trousers?????

If YES, do you also own the Freddies dungaress

If yes... which do you like better.

If NO, do you love love love you VOH ones?

http://www.vivienofholloway.com/index.php/1940s-style-trousers/1940s-Denim-trousers.html

Hi Exquisitebones!

I have the Vivien dungarees, but not the Freddies ones. I talk about the VofH ones here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=746413&postcount=145

I actually bought the pair in the picture, lost weight, sold them to another Lounger and bought a smaller size just because I do like them a lot. They are not a heavy denim, and as you can see, sort of shiny. You do have to hand wash or preferably dry clean to keep them nice. I ended up actually hemming my pair without any cuff because the line was more flattering on me. I might change out the white plastic buttons for some blue vintage ones when I find them. I wear them often, dancing and just hanging out and they are very comfy.

I'm interested in the Freddie dungarees, would love to hear some feedback from the ladies :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav