Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans?

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
Ok so im still new to this sight and I tried to look and see if there was something like this already but I did not see anything, if I did something wrong and I just repeating something that’s already been done I do apologize.

Here is my question….what is every ones view on jeans, and if you where them what do you pair with it? I really love the vintage look but being in a dress or a skirt is not always practical for me, ok ok, I know I could put on some slacks but some days I just feel like jeans, but I don’t know what to where with them.

I also have a really hard time with skirts, I have a natural hour glass figure but it’s not as tight and tone as I would like it to be, I have hips and things and chubby knees and ankles and I feel like a goof in skirts, (unless I have heals on) and I cant where heals all the time (although I try) any suggestion would be great, I just don’t know what type of skirt to where and what type of shoes would look ok other than a heal, so I go back to jeans, but then I don’t know what to where with it….and the circle starts again…HELP?

fernande

Vendor
For your body type. (or as you've described it) A skirt that falls to just below the knee- or mid calf would be flattering. You could wear a pair of close toe wedge loafers or very low cuban heeled oxfords. If you don't like your ankles wear dark stockings or tights and a lighter shoe- the focus will then go to your shoes and not your legs.

If you've got a waist- (hourglass you say) a darker belt (black is perfect and easist to get) will really streamline your figure no matter what kind of skirt you wear circle or otherwise.
Ankle booties are also good, Its not golden era styling really, but a pencil skirt (especially a vintage one, in good old fashioned wool- well made vintage garments-will really hold you in-) then if you have some ankle boots you will cover up your ankles (since you described that you aren't crazy about them)
yet you see a little leg, etc.. its a nice look.

If your current figure is not where you want it to be- or you want to appear more toned- something I always bring to any styling job I have is Spanx.
even thin women (like Gwyneth Paltrow) wear spanks under their gowns.
You can get them at macys and bloomingdales- they are flesh toned leggings/ girdle thingies that stop below your knees but really tone the tummy, backside and thigh area- they are really comfy and most people who I have put them on, really like the results.
you can wear spanx under trousers or even a skirt.
Its very similar in idea to all of the girdles and foundation garments of old, but are less "hardcore" and if you are just getting into vintage fashion are probably easier to wear.

I wear jeans often when I'm working around the house with a classic 40s lace up oxford (with a chunky, cuban heel) that are totally comfortable.
my jeans are just basic dark denim ones I've had for years- I cuff them and wear white socks- I guess it looks a little bobbysocker/juvenille deliquent .

You can always pair a darker denim pair of jeans (more "vintage-y" looking and relatively easy to get) with a vintage blouse or a cardigan- you still have the vintage vibe, that way.

I got a great pattern from 1943, that is a wide leg trouser/"rosie the riveter" style overalls.
I bought some dark denim to give it a whirl sometime this week.
This style is also very period, but would be pretty on you. (and is also really in fashion right now-outside the retro universe)

I'm excited about the pattern- perhaps I'll post some kind of you tube video of the makings of it. I'm not an advanced seamstress by any means so it will probably be comical.
:)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I wear jeans almost everyday. I like to keep a few different cuts in my drawer to achieve different styles. I have one pair of high-waisted Wranglers (straight-leg), a pair of wideleg and high-waisted sailor-ish jeans, one pair of high-waisted jeans that fit tightly (like drainpipes), and two pairs of regular ol' modern lowrise straightleg jeans.

In the fall weather, I often pair a button-up shirt with a cardigan for a casual vintage look. Pullover sweaters are great, too. Sometimes when I'm mixing up the modern and vintage styles, I'll wear a regular tee under one of my vintage cardigans. In colder weather, add jacket/coat.

Jeans and bandannas in the hair are a match made in heaven.

As for shoes...it varies. I like cheap mary janes and ballet slippers, but they're horrible for the feet. Saddle shoes, sometimes. Converse and Keds, occasionally...with insoles! My actual walking shoes are a pair of acid green Saucony sneakers, though.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I wear straight or wide-leg jeans, as I have short legs and wide hips - they look better. I love pairing jeans with heels or platforms, and with a t-shirt and fancier coat (say velvet or beaded). I also do 50s atomic button-downs, or sweaters with a nice pin.

I want a pair of high-waisted, so I'm looking around. I'm afraid to commit to the $100+ pairs on the internet until I've tried some on and see if they are rubbish or not!

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I really like the darker washes, they have a more vintage feel, look cleaner,and are more flattering. I have one pair of jeans that really fit well, they're a slight boot cut I think, they look great with heels, mary janes, and of course cowboy boots.
I'll wear a 50s cardigan over a t shirt when its cold, or plaid button down shirts when its warm. For some reason when I do wear jeans I tend to lean towards the western accessories. Like gluegungeisha said, bandanas are really cute with jeans.
I'd really like a high waisted pair of jeans too, just haven't found the right ones yet.

Blondie

Practically Family
At the moment i am loving Stop Staring jeans.
But also love my 40's Levis, 50s side zips, i live in jeans.
Always wear them with flats of some description or biker boots in winter.
My pet hate is jeans and high heels.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I have a pair of Levi's Blue jeans that are in fact my only pair of jeans outside those I wear to work. I love the fit of them. They're not cheap though - £95. But the nice guy in the Levi's store gave me a 30% discount :D They're really thick, hard wearing, deep indigo denim with a nice high waist. They stop my butt from looking huge as well as they're classified as 'skinny' but actually they fit more like a straight - which is always a bonus!

I have one other pair of jeans that I wear to work. They're Gap High Rise Indigo Dyed. They're nice and a good highsteet version of high waisted jeans. Not too bad on price either (esp. as I get staff discount). The denim isn't as thick, but some people like that.

I did try a pair of Stop Staring high waisted jeans and they were awful. I can't believe how much they charge for them - the fabric is so cheap. Oh well. They're also far too big for me.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I have a love/hate relationshiop with jeans. I love wearing them, but I hate depending on them as much as I do. I have a pair from Victoria's Secret that have these really wide legs & I think I love them more than any pair I've ever had. They aren't perfect though, they could be darker & have rear pockets, and I'd love to have them in a dozen different fabrics & colors, if I did, I'd never need another pair of anything.

I'm one of the jeans & heels girls. Jeans with flats is too tomboyish for my taste. One of my favorite looks is jeans with a long sweater jacket & high heels. It is such a sexy, 70s look. I think that is probably my ideal outfit.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have a pair of Queen of Heartz one, and a pair of Freddies of Pinewood. The Freddies ones are a pain to get on and off as they are a bit tight on the hips! But they are made of a lovely thick denim where the QoH ones are very thin and stretchy. I'm also considering getting a pair in Selvedge denim from makeyourownjeans.com as I've had great reports from others.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Jeans are my best friend. They're sturdy and comfortable and you can crawl under tables and not be obscene. I made up a pair of 30's pants in denim with side buttons and wear them with either sandals or lace up saddle type shoes or keds, which are all period correct. I pair them with boat neck striped shirts with 3/4 sleeves and tuck them in, then put a contrast belt around the waist and wear a beret for a nautical type look. I'll put on a puffed sleeve button up shirt or with a sweater with a long scarf. Pretty much anything.
Here's a snapshot of a more casual look from the summer with a handkerchief tie top and a scarf in my hair.
l_4e568a41c950f32c8e186f044804c3ba.jpg

Blondie

Practically Family
ShortClara said:
Why?

You must not be short lol
For me jeans represent casual wear/ outdoors wear or in the 40's "work wear",
thats why when i see girls "dressing them up " with high heels it just looks weird, just my opinion, to each his own !!!!!!!!!!!!!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ShortClara said:
I wear straight or wide-leg jeans, as I have short legs and wide hips - they look better. I love pairing jeans with heels or platforms, and with a t-shirt and fancier coat (say velvet or beaded). I also do 50s atomic button-downs, or sweaters with a nice pin.

I want a pair of high-waisted, so I'm looking around. I'm afraid to commit to the $100+ pairs on the internet until I've tried some on and see if they are rubbish or not!

This sounds crazy but my sister got a really cute pair from Old Navy for about $35. They are more narrow cut and maybe a little 70's though. My sister has wide hips and they look amazing on her. Also Urban Outfitters had some for around 65.00 I think. I keep checking stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls but haven't had any luck yet.

Gigi

New in Town
^ I found a pair of trouser cut ones there for a good price. They sometimes have great high wasted styles, if you're going for that look.
I've got a pair of trouser cut ones that I just adore, but I'm very short so I can't wear flats with them. This is a problem because I'm in school and spend the entire day walking.

Gigi

New in Town
Miss Brill said:
I hate Old Navy jeans. Lets just say they ride up in the front. ;)

Maybe they do on you. I have tried on pairs there that fit horribly in the crotch area. There always seems to be a bunch of extra fabric. What's that for?!

Shorty

New in Town
I'd love to wear 40's jeans but I'm only 5'2" "tall" so all 40's or repro jeans have too high waist for me. If someone knows jeans to fit a short girl like me I would appreciate telling me where to find a pair of nice jeans with 40's style ;)

olive bleu

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Jeans are my best friend. They're sturdy and comfortable and you can crawl under tables and not be obscene. I made up a pair of 30's pants in denim with side buttons and wear them with either sandals or lace up saddle type shoes or keds, which are all period correct. I pair them with boat neck striped shirts with 3/4 sleeves and tuck them in, then put a contrast belt around the waist and wear a beret for a nautical type look. I'll put on a puffed sleeve button up shirt or with a sweater with a long scarf. Pretty much anything.
Here's a snapshot of a more casual look from the summer with a handkerchief tie top and a scarf in my hair.
l_4e568a41c950f32c8e186f044804c3ba.jpg

Lauren, who but you could make jeans look this beautiful?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner