Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
INKY-
here's a good selection-

Levis from 1880s-1960s, faithfully* reproduced.
http://www.cultizm.com/index.php?ca....html&XTCsid=c479b12b8eab677bea3478767c0607ea

@ http://www.cultizm.com

B
T
Ouch! they have the 1937 LVCs that I bought in Japan for $30 less than I paid in Osaka. Thanks for the link. If I could afford to buy them over again I wouldn't wash to shrink them I'd get them in the size I actually wear. They wouldn't ever see the inside of a washing machine. Might have to get hung out in the air now and again just to keep the wife and co-workers happy though...

Inky

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
INKY-
here's a good selection-

Levis from 1880s-1960s, faithfully* reproduced.
http://www.cultizm.com/index.php?ca....html&XTCsid=c479b12b8eab677bea3478767c0607ea

@ http://www.cultizm.com

B
T

WOW! They do have some great pants - I've bookmarked and am still surfing for just the right thing. I hate to spend too much, he's losing weight and won't wear them for too long (it's going slowly, hahaha) so I am thinking the Prison Blues will do for now and then when he gets to his goal weight we'll get him some really nice vintage repros. Thanks for the linkie!!

lyburnum

Practically Family
I have a question about the Prison Blues jeans.

My husband is looking for a decent pair of jeans with a high waist, but the Levi's he bought when washed turned a very blue-blue and lost that deep blue he liked about them when he bought them. He bought a pair of Academi Japanese Selvege jeans and they're perfect - high rise and no loss of large amounts of dye after washing. However he can't find any more Academi jeans in the US so I was wondering about these Prison Blues jeans.

Basically, all I want to know, is how they wash? Because he doesn't want anything that's going to change shade dramatically after washing.

Thanks!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi.
Maybe you should try the "Vintage" (authentic repro)ranges from Levis and Lee-
A premium range, which cost way more than the Mall variety.

They are made in "vintage"* denim, with all the correct details of models from the beginning of time, up to the '60s. The denim is dark, dark indigo and hard.

Perfect.

There is a bit of information here on the FL about them and whether or not/how to launder them without losing the fresh indigo, etc.

*"Vintage Denim" woven on old, narrow looms(hence the selvedge in the seams), from cotton yarns as close to correct as can be obtained.

I have quite a selection of the repro Levis, collected over the last 10 years or so- slowly wearing out.

Another option is EDWIN- quite a bit cheaper. They make some Mall and Fashion jeans but also some excellent vintage models in dark, dark, rigid indigo denim.
EDWIN is run by the Japanese company who make the Lee vintage repros.

Remember- washing is the ENEMY of dark indigo denim.

Anyway, you could do worse than search around a little, on the FL, for more info.

B
T

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
I can vouch for Sugar Cane, I have a 47' pair and a 55' pair and they are my favorites. I also have a pair of the Edwin Nashvilles and they hold up real well although the dying is not as good as the SC. The SC's take quite a while to break; I have been wearing the 55's every day for the last 8 mos. washed 3 times and they still have not faded that much.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I was in the Edwin store in Kuala Lumpur the other day, and was somewhat disappointed to find that the quality of Edwin jeans seems to have declined. Not the same denim as I remember and 'quirky' modern styling on most models on display. I hope it's just a local abberation...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yeh,

And they seem to be merging. There were some of the former 'on offer' (with selvedge) and the denim was almost indistinguishable from the latter. I'm glad I built up a stock-pile of LVC jeans before they went OOB.

I still like Denime Takus, though.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Not being an afficionado of the Nime fabric, what are the benefits of vintage style jeans? Cut, fit, longer-lasting, colour?

What of Old Town denim? Any good?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
How long do you have? Vintage denim is worth a forum in its own right.

I've no experience of Old Town denim, but their serge trousers are great. Contrary to popular belief, denim isn't just an American vintage phenomenon, although jeans are. I love 1930s British denim workwear and its military derivatives. I can see that a pair of Old Town high-rise fishtail buckle-back trousers with a matching sack jacket in dark blue or rust red denim would be a splendid outfit.

Rust red or brown may be said to be the British version of indigo blue, although if you want to get really vintage American, you'd be wearing red/brown cotton duck (canvas) rather than blue denim. I have a repro 1876 Levi Strauss suit in this fabric that I like very much.

BT may want to add something to this...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
How long do you have? Vintage denim is worth a forum in its own right.

I've no experience of Old Town denim, but their serge trousers are great. Contrary to popular belief, denim isn't just an American vintage phenomenon, although jeans are. I love 1930s British denim workwear and its military derivatives. I can see that a pair of Old Town high-rise fishtail buckle-back trousers with a matching sack jacket in dark blue or rust red denim would be a splendid outfit.

Rust red or brown may be said to be the British version of indigo blue, although if you want to get really vintage American, you'd be wearing red/brown cotton duck (canvas) rather than blue denim. I have a repro 1876 Levi Strauss suit in this fabric that I like very much.

BT may want to add something to this...

Well- I do have a pair of CC41 work trousers in the Rust/Brown Denim.
Yes, it is really a standard in British Work-wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner