Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFK remembrance and hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedoracentric

Banned
With so many "journalists" regurgitating this fake "JFK killed hats" story, it does make one wonder just how much of "journalism" is to be believed, doesn't it?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Another JFK killed the hat thread. One of those topics like Johnny Depp's hats that comes up all the time. If you read American Hatter back issues. Hatters have been proclaiming the slowing if hat sales since the 1900's.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
From the thread on hat-history, I linked to before:

"Early in this (the 20'th) century U. S. had 25 million males old enough for hats, and the annual production was 36 million; just before the war 50 million hat-males, but production of felts only 22 million."

The fedora hat was dying decades before the 60s

Any and/or all of the reasons already stated must surely have contributed in some way to the decline of hat wearing, but it certainly wasn't caused by only one specific thing. President Kennedy was merely an extremely-well-known individual who more often than not preferred to not wear a hat, and some people followed his "lead", i.e. "If President Kennedy doesn't wear hats, why should I?" As has already been stated, hat wearing was in decline long before Kennedy became so well known.

For anyone who is truly interested in reading up on the history of hats and a fairly inclusive collection of some of the various potential reasons for the decline of hat wearing, start by getting a copy of "Hatless Jack: The President, the Fedora, and the Death of the Hat" by Neil Steinberg. I don't know if it's 100% accurate, but it's an interesting read in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I have nothing whatsoever to do with the creation, publication, and/or distribution of the aforementioned book, and receive no financial compensation for any sales of said book unless you buy my copy from me. It makes no difference to me whether or not you buy it, borrow it, or steal it, let alone read it; I just like the book and recommend it to anyone I think might be interested in the subject.

With so many "journalists" regurgitating this fake "JFK killed hats" story, it does make one wonder just how much of "journalism" is to be believed, doesn't it?

Not to disagree with the posts explaining the decline in hat sales as a phenomenon dating back to the early 20th century, the influence of John and Jacqueline Kennedy on style and fashion was substantial.

I think it's safe to say the death of mens hat wearing was the perfect storm:

More automobiles, less exposure to the elements
More urban/suburban lifestyle, less exposure as above
WWII vets wanting to rebel against wearing a "cover"
Young fashionables rejecting hat wearing in general as "fuddy duddy"
Etc,etc

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Not to disagree with the posts explaining the decline in hat sales as a phenomenon dating back to the early 20th century, the influence of John and Jacqueline Kennedy on style and fashion was substantial.

I absolutely agree, that they had a profound influence in many areas of daily life. I was only eight when he was killed, but nevertheless I was very aware of this president in a far off country. That very couple were icons - and they were on everybody's lips. They had a massive impact in Europe, too :)

I don't know if this was the case in US too, but in Europe it seems like quite fewer hats were purchased during The Great Depression than during the roaring 20s. During and following WWII the money were still very scarce and a lot of goods were rationed. As we got back on our feet (not least thanks to The Marshall Help), the importance of hats had been downplayed for a generation or more - and hats never regained their former attraction.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
As Ed mentioned, we always get these JFK killed the hat type threads (don't recall seeing a Depp one for a while though) and there is no doubt that the industry was in decline way before JFK was sworn in.

I think that rather than blame him for killing the industry, it would be interesting to speculate on whether he could have changed the downward trend had he been an enthusiastic hat wearer. What if he had done a deal with his friend at Cavanagh (I believe he was a VP of sales or marketing) and got a line of JFK hats he wore at every opportunity?

Alan pointed out that JFK and his Mrs were leaders in style - people would have followed his lead for sure. Maybe it would have happened if he'd been around a bit longer to wear that Peter's Bros hat. Hmm, somehow I can't imagine him in a western though.

I don't know if this was the case in US too, but in Europe it seems like quite fewer hats were purchased during The Great Depression than during the roaring 20s. During and following WWII the money were still very scarce and a lot of goods were rationed. As we got back on our feet (not least thanks to The Marshall Help), the importance of hats had been downplayed for a generation or more - and hats never regained their former attraction.

I see a similar trend as the USA in Germany & Austria excluding WWI and WWII. Production was at it's peak in the early 1900s. There was actually a boom in production in the mid to late 30s. You see less companies (similar world trend) in the 50s but the major makers (Mayser, Wegener, P. & C. Habig, ect.) were back in production and selling hats. Seems every man working a white collar job had a Homburg during this time period (early 50s into the 60s). Actually went on longer than in the US.

Last edited:

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
I wasnt born yet when he was killed, but my mom was so I asked her what she & her family had thought of the Kennedy's, politics aside since her family was more repubs then dems.
She agreed with the fact that the Kennedys would be considered "trend setters" & like some today they could have had a most profound effect on the clothing culture. I mean, look at the late JFK jr's magazine "George", it is claimed to have been similair to Vanity Fair or Esquire, pop culture & fashion style mags.

I also have talked to some other "old timers" of both sexes, & for the most part they agreed that JFK & the Mrs could have influenced fashion/culture if he had lived, in what way we will never know. Now, one thing, most of the oldtimers were older kids or young teens as my groups really dont have many folks in their late 70 or above.

And interesting fact I thought, he was killed on a friday & 50 years later his death date fell on another friday. Well, to me it was interesting.

And a side question... it appears in most of those pics that wide ribbons were the standard, or is it that thin ribbons were either harder to see or just not on some of those hats in the pics?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan pointed out that JFK and his Mrs were leaders in style - people would have followed his lead for sure. Maybe it would have happened if he'd been around a bit longer to wear that Peter's Bros hat. Hmm, somehow I can't imagine him in a western though.

Hi

I was just going to note that it appears JFK and Jackie were the first and probably the last President and First Lady to be leaders in style. I know Lincoln wasn't. Coolidge, Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, and the Obama's sure don't seem to be leaders in style.

Political leaders in style consists of JFK, and Prince / King Edward? Is that really it? I don't know if Queen Victoria counts even though a few decades of style were named after her.

Later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
President and First Lady to be leaders in style. I know Lincoln wasn't. Coolidge, Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2,

Reagan brought back the brown suit, single-handedly!

liten

One of the Regulars
if he had been wearing his hat in elm st on 22nd , it may have just enough to put files aim off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany