Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brick and Mortar Hat Store in the Philly - South NJ Area

KNezz

New in Town
Greetings,

I'm looking for a hat store in the Philadelphia - South NJ area? I've tried Saks, Neiman Marcus with no success (well it was worth a try). I've also tried Hats in the Belfry on South Street but their hats weren't of the quality I am looking for. Years ago I went to South Street Hats and worked with Oscar. They had quite a few nice hats and could order almost anything one was looking for. I stopped by yesterday to find that he is out of business (unless someone can tell me he moved to another location?).

I'm looking for a store similar to South Street Hats?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Oh, man, I hope South Street Hats hasn't gone under. I've never been there, but I've long wanted to patronize the place and figured I'd make a special trip to Philly one day soon to do just that.

KNezz

New in Town
Sorry to say that yes South Street Hats is out of business.

I was there a couple of years ago to eyeball and price a few hats. My plans were to go back but life and work got in the way. I'm totally new to the game and recently decided to take the plunge. Just a few days ago I visited the ATM (in case a credit card was a problem or a special cash deal could be had). My intent was to find at least two hats to take home to begin my journey. To my unpleasant surprise the place was dark and empty other than a few hat boxes lying around. There was also a sign on the door letting all know that the facility was available. I was bummed to see an empty store.

When I first visited the store I found the atmosphere extremely interesting and comfortable. There were a few customers shopping in the relatively small store along with a couple of gentlemen who appeared to have been friends who stopped by. The place gave me the feel of a neighborhood barber's shop (friendly and personal). The shop was not newly renovated or modern. It was very aged without frills. There were hats all over the place in no particular order. There were hats on the counter, walls, floors, display cases and racks. There were had in plastic bags, hat boxes and some hats just enjoying freedom. Oscar introduced himself and made some suggestions. I asked a few questions that he was very willing to answer as well as give me some unsolicited hat advice. That let me know that he was knowledgeable about his trade and more than willing to assist me.

To my loss I wasn't prepared to purchase a little more than two years ago. It took me a few years to get around to wearing hats. I'm fearful that I won't be able to find another store in my area that will have a good selection, sage advice and a friendly atmosphere..

Regards

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
If you dont want to make the trip to NY(i'd suggest you do) then its slim pickings in your area. NJ has a few stores such as Dans Hats in Newark but NY is the place to go for a nice selction of fur felt hats .

Bummed to hear about Oscar & South Street. He did a nice job on a Strat & a Resistol Wanderer I sent for cleaning & re-blocking.
Great guy to talk with even on the phone.
Sad to see another shop shuttered....

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've walked past South Street Hats several times in the last year or so - our daughter is at school in Philly so good excuse to visit.

The store has never been open, even when obviously still occupied, so I'm not surprised to hear it shut down.

Stopped at Hats in the Belfry once, no need to go back.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I've walked past South Street Hats several times in the last year or so - our daughter is at school in Philly so good excuse to visit.

The store has never been open, even when obviously still occupied, so I'm not surprised to hear it shut down.

Stopped at Hats in the Belfry once, no need to go back.

I bought a straw from Oscar over the summer. As far as furs go, he was selling mostly Selentino last time I was in. Shame to see him close up.
There's another hat shop on South St. around 5th that sells some stingy Stetsons. That's about it for the area. LL Bean in Marlton, NJ actually stocks the Moose River Stetson.
In NY I'd go to JJ Hat Center at the Empire State Building or Bencraft in Brooklyn (never been to the Williamsburg store but the other one was great). Worth and Worth was okay the times I've been in - I've never found a hat I wanted to walk out with there, though.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Owning a full stocked hat store today is a tough job. Even in a city like Philly that has a good population of customers, its hard to explain why a decent hat costs at least 150$ with 250 to 300 being more the norm.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Owning a full stocked hat store today is a tough job. Even in a city like Philly that has a good population of customers, its hard to explain why a decent hat costs at least 150$ with 250 to 300 being more the norm.

I still think that planting men hat models wearing your wares in strategic locations like the subway or prominent corners would provoke men into saying "I want a hat like that," and women into saying "I wish my Bob would buy one of those." There's nothing like live modeling in my view. No retailer seems convinced of it, but then the business relies on people walking into the traditional store to "get the spirit." I'll tell you I got that spirit when I visited Worth & Worth, but unless you ventured up to the 6th floor of that building, you'd miss the whole party.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo