Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A introduction, a score and a few questions/issues

obie

New in Town
Dropping by to say hello. I have been lurking on this forum for a few months, after finding myself becoming interested in hats, especially nice fedora's, etc. After trying on a cheapie J Crew hat and not liking it, I started to search this forum for a local hat retailer in the Philadelphia area, wanting to try on and buy one first before treading the dark and sometime murky waters of the internet, ebay and Craigslist.

I ended up stopping by South Street hats in Philadelphia and came home with a pork pie hat (a style I like since I am a guitarist born and raised on the blues)...

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9103.jpg

After I got it home, I liked it, but haven't had an opportunity to wear it out, as it has been 90 plus degrees every day that I would have had a chance to wear it. I then started to read more about the various hat brands out there and while the pork pie is nice, it is from a relatively unknown company, and probably not the greatest deal out there, but I was able to try some on and figure out my hat size, 7 3/8.

More reading of the forums allowed me to see that with few exceptions (Optimo, etc) current offerings are not of the same quality as vintage hats, especially the Stetson hats that I was drawn to for various reasons. This lead me to start trolling eBay, and winning a nice brown Royal Stetson...

IMG_9104.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

Of course I bid on several, including a few straw Stetson cowboy hats that I plan on wearing when out in the yard or going to the Philadelphia Union Soccer team homegames, etc. Right now I think I have five additional hats inbound, with one being another stingy Fedora, two straw Steston cowboy hats and two Resistol 4X felt cowboy hats. Good thing my wife will be wearing some, as with all of her hair ties back, makes her fit into my size hats as well.

I started thinking about why I just started to get into hats, and it dawned on me that as I get a bit older I am starting to dress a bit nicer when leaving the house, and realized that my father, to this day always wears nice slacks, suit pants, and a button down shirt regardless if he is digging a ditch in the backyard or going out. I do remember my father wearing Fedora's when I was younger, but never thought anything further about it, or to inquire if he still had any.

As luck would have it, my parents started to clear out their attic of 30 plus years of items. My wife happened to be picking up my daughter there from an overnight visit when she caught eye of a Steston hat box. My wife asked my mother about it, who declared that they have tons of them, and were ready to give them away to a neighbor, who had showed interest. My wife looked in one and saw a nice vintage Stetson straw hat at 7 1/8 and decided to let me know.

Today we went to pick up my daughter after another sleep over at my parents and there was four or five vintage Stetson boxes. Upon stating my interest, my father told me that he purchased most, if not all of them in the late 60's, early 70's from the Steston store located on 2nd street in Philadelphia. He said that he over the course of a few years bought several of them, and had worn a handful, but had several that were still in the box all these years later, including a beautiful Homburg. There is a Knox or two in there and some other various brands.

Unfortunately they are all 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 while I wear a 7 3/8 which is just about perfect, if not a little loose. My question before I show all these hats is a few things.

1. Will I or could I have them reblocked or stretched to fit my head.

2. If so, would anyone know of any places that would do so in the Philadelphia area. I think it would be worth it to have these hats adjusted to fit me, as I think the history of the hats being my fathers would be an amazing thing to have to wear for years to come myself.

3. If it isn't possible, could anyone shed some light on the various hats pictured. I have taken a few pictures and could always post more. I am hopping that I can have them readjusted, but if not, I would hope to be able to sell them to be able to buy similar vintage Stetson's Knox's etc in my size.

Here are some pictures, hope you enjoy!

IMG_9097.jpg

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

IMG_9106.jpg

Mike Rivera

New in Town
I'm new here, but have been wearing hats for 20 years. My head size apparently grew from 7-1/8 to 7-5/8 over this period.

I stretched a nice Montechristi Panama and a Biltmore felt fedora using a common hat-streatcher (like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-hat-stretcher-42210.html, and some steam.

The Biltmore was pretty easy, but the straw had to have some brim reshaping done afterwards as the sizing caused it to buckle a bit in places.

I reshaped the brim using water and an iron and instructions online and it seems to have worked well.

I just took mu time and didn't do all the stretching at once. A little bit every few days.

- Mike

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Hey Obie,
Welcome aboard!
We have a quasi-active group here in the Philly area. You actually did great stumbling into Oscars' South Street Hats, we've been there as a group a few times, and he usually gives us some preferential pricing too. Tell him you are a Fedora Lounge member! That Selentino is a marvellous hat, I managed to get quite a nice one in a black velour finish with a fantastic crown height and perhaps a 2 1/4 inch brim. I cant wait till fall to start wearing it.
The bad news: Overall, trying to stretch those hats to your proper size is probably going to be fruitless. You will either taper the hell out of them, tear a sweatband, etc... With the stingy brims on those hats, getting them re-sized is pretty much out of the question, you'll end up brimless!
The good news: There are still a lot of hats out there, and MANY loungers move hats here on the forum or E-bay, you can find something! Although larger hats do come at premium prices.

Also good news: I'm a 7 1/8! Let's talk about those straws! :)

obie

New in Town
rmrdaddy said:
Also good news: I'm a 7 1/8! Let's talk about those straws! :)

Thanks for the welcome!

I did think that getting them up that far in size would be "stretching" it a bit much. Of course if I can't stretch em' out, or if doing so would make them look like a fat guy stretching a small hat on syndrome, then it would time to make them find good homes....

Shoot me an email/ PM about the straws and we can talk.

Any idea's about what the felt's would fetch on the open market? Several have boxes as pictured, but many do not have such. As I am a watch guy and boxes add to the overall value of the item, is it the same for hat boxes as well?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Obie,
If you had a specialty hat that came en suite with it's box(Stetson Stratoliner), you might be able to obtain an enhanced value, but, you have a collection of nice stingy-brim hats (Primarily 1960's )that are for the pea heads (like me). For the "hat collectors" (read: ones that pay top dollar) you've got 2 hefty strikes ag'in ya.
They are really only worth what someone will pay for them, a little e-bay-fu will give you an idea of what pricing the market will bear. I'm sure others have been seeing vintage sellers that have become savagely capitalistic based on keywords, with any Stetson listing at $120, even for the most horrible hats!
My last score was a Dobbs La Grange straw (shantung really) for which I recall paying the princely sum of $4.99 :)

obie

New in Town
I did check eBay and it is what it is. I think I will see if I could get the felt's reblocked one size up and see if that would make them usable. I would rather keep them in the family if possible, but the straws, well they won't be sticking around.

I am west of Philly in PA. I do get into Philly several times per month and have clients up and down Jersey, actually up and down the East Coast so I will be scoping out hat stores from DC through NH this year...

MattJH

One Too Many
I love it when I hear people giving Oscar at South Street Hats their business. Well done! And there is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with Selentino. Enjoy your pork-pie.

obie

New in Town
MattJH said:
I love it when I hear people giving Oscar at South Street Hats their business. Well done! And there is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with Selentino. Enjoy your pork-pie.

Would they be able to reblock my hats? Any idea of cost for that?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Obie,
The main issue is a reblock might pick you up a size, Optimo charges $30-40 for a clean and block. In order to really gain size, you'll need to ship them out and invest at least $60 a hat (maybe more) to have the hats resized, with new sweat bands, the whole schmear. In order to gain internal circumference, you'll need to lose brim, of which you don't have much. Wishing a too small hat would fit you is something we've all done, but acting on that wish typically never makes wallet sense. Sorry amigo :eek:

obie

New in Town
rmrdaddy said:
Obie,
The main issue is a reblock might pick you up a size, Optimo charges $30-40 for a clean and block. In order to really gain size, you'll need to ship them out and invest at least $60 a hat (maybe more) to have the hats resized, with new sweat bands, the whole schmear. In order to gain internal circumference, you'll need to lose brim, of which you don't have much. Wishing a too small hat would fit you is something we've all done, but acting on that wish typically never makes wallet sense. Sorry amigo :eek:

Thanks for the info and the honest long and short of the situation. Realistically, I think the short brims are a bit too short for me, as I am 6'2" 240 lbs and look like a monster wearing a small fez in stingy's....

AcridSaint

New in Town
Instead of trying to sell them, you might try to trade them out. Will probably take you longer, but you could get what you want over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner