Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimmy Pierce

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
The one exception that I've seen is Art, from whom I've received all three.

I'm on board with that. My Sportaire is on my head as I type, and it's a beautiful thing.

Neil

A-List Customer
Agreed

As I continue to contemplate the Art Fawcett orders I have in the pipeline, I am thinking Sportaire. A Sportaire and an HST.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Hey Neil, I think you have the wrong thread, mate. I hope you don`t cancel Art`s order because you have to wait too long then switch to another hat maker...

Viper Man

Banned
daizawaguy said:
Hey Neil, I think you have the wrong thread, mate. I hope you don`t cancel Art`s order because you have to wait too long then switch to another hat maker...

:eek:fftopic: Maybe it's just me but everytime I read one of your posts I find your tone very condescending and off putting. Lighten up, champ.

duggap

Banned
Neil said:
As I continue to contemplate the Art Fawcett orders I have in the pipeline, I am thinking Sportaire. A Sportaire and an HST.
Don't forget to give some consideration to the style called Trackside. It is a ton better looking in person than on Art's website. It has the diamond block to it. I got one in navy blue and it is my go to hat.:)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Sportaire was my first, though I changed the color. It is a perfect, all-around classic fedora. As far as fedora styles go, I would say it is the ideal everyday hat.:cheers1:

Neil

A-List Customer
To Daizawaguy

Why in heaven's name would I cancel my order with Art? Quite the opposite. I now intend to buy two hats from him. The fact that he has a long waiting time is pretty much immaterial to me. I placed my order in mid-September, and I expect to see the hat around the end of the year. And something else: In the course of dealing with him, I have written him about five times. I always find a reply in my inbox by the next day. I also called his shop to make sure his "conformer" had arrived back. A woman answered, and assured me it had. Art is exactly the sort of merchant I like to deal with. Helpful, responsive and prompt.
Oh, wait: I just re-read your post. You're being sarcastic. I get it.

Deputy Jedi

New in Town
I've lurked here for a bit and unfortunately my first post is negative.

I placed an order with Mr. Pierce in early September. (brown fedora - winchester blend felt - $160.00) He charged my credit card almost immediately. I waited seven weeks and had heard nothing. I called last Monday and his voicemail said he had been out of town and would be returning calls that day. Receiving no reply, I called again on Friday and this time received a generic computer generated message. I left a message asking for him to call me or I would be forced to contact the bank about reversing the charge. No reply. I call the bank tomorrow.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JP has been noted for a lack of customer contact skills but does make a nice lid. It was my understanding that he eventually gets the job taken care of. Sorry to hear you've not received a reply 7 weeks and $160 in.

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
He's there!

I placed a call to Jimmy this morning and spoke with him. He's planning on shipping a hat to me this week. Hopefully things will go well.

Ralph

Deputy Jedi

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. The fact that he is in answering some phone calls and ignoring others messages is troubling. He needs to contact me so we can resolve this or this transaction is done. I've waited in good faith for eight weeks now.

Tone

A-List Customer
It's too bad to hear about your order, deputy. I'd been trying to get a hold of Jimmy off and on myself over the course of the last few weeks and also received the electronic voice "hello..." in addition to his message of being out of town. Still hadn't heard from him when one of my reblocked Fed III's arrived at my door.

I think he might be swamped in orders and tends to concentrate on getting the hat orders finished as opposed to talking on the phone. Time on the phone is time away from getting hats out. Unlike other vendors, he still runs the whole operation by himself (no secretary to handle that stuff). Naturally, a bit of time on the phone would go a whole lot further for those who have orders coming up or want to know the status.

Having ordered a few hats from Jimmy over the last several years, I've come to realize that is how he works. Sometimes he's readily available to speak to and others, not as much. But the hats have always shown up in acceptable time ranges for custom orders. There's never been a time when the hat has been forgotten. They always show.

If I didn't find the Pierce hats to be exceptionally capable of getting certain looks down I might get frustrated at waiting two months for a custom hat. So far, the Pierce is one of the few that can do what I've been looking for. The Raven, in particular, being one of my all time favorites.

ravenraidersnh5.gif

But yeah, I hear you on the frustrated part. No doubt your hat's being made but if your patience is through, what else can you do?

Jimmy...pick up that phone, would ya?! Or set some hour of the day when you contact customers for status, maybe? :D

By the way, got my Fed. Much better. Thanks! :)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think what Jimmy needs to do most is set a realistic timeline for customers at the time of order so that fewer people start wondering "Hey, where's my hat?" A two month wait time is great, but if Jimmy says three weeks, suddenly two months (with no contact) becomes 'long over due.' Where as, if he said two months and it took 11 weeks, it's a reasonable delay. It's all relative. Except my Aunt Pete.

Tone

A-List Customer
I'm sure plenty more have received their hats from Jimmy within the given timeframe than have not. But yes, for the ones who want an update, or have a hat beyond the projected timeline, a call would be most helpful to avoid the "Where's my hat" jitters.

Probably would be a good idea just to set the due date out a couple months, though.

I'm not complaining, either way. Love the hats.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a hat from Jimmy, but I like the ones that I have seen alot and I will get one from him in the near future. This thread hasn't changed my mind about this. I'm sure he's a busy guy and time does tend to get the best of us. [huh]

Deputy Jedi

New in Town
A short update. Having not heard anything by noon, I called the bank and initiated the dispute process. I phoned Mr. Pierce in the late afternoon and left a message advising him of my decision and reasoning as he had failed to return my previous two messages. He subsequently called about 6:15 PM. We spoke briefly and he noted that he did not receive the first two messages last week. Who's to say ... I don't wish to let this degenerate into a personal attack. Needless to say, I wish the gentleman well, but my order is cancelled. I don't need drama over a hat. I'll find one elsewhere. Thanks all for your kind replies.

Deputy Jedi

New in Town
Thanks Indycop. I appreciate it. I've had a fitted western hat for a few years and really wanted to try a fedora since I live in a metropolitan area. I have tomorrow off so I am going to start looking again for something decent to start with; perhaps an Akubra or maybe an open road that I can bash into a fedora. Best Deputy Jedi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner