Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimmy Stewart Treasures Old Hat

Sam Craig

One Too Many
That is an interesting story that has made the rounds for some time now, as have some others that indicate Stewart was somewhat sentimental about such items.

Another star like that was Kathreine Hepburn. The felt fedora that Henry Fonda wears briefly at the beginning of "On Golden Pond" -- you see him hang it up when they first arive at the cabin -- was one of Spencer Tracy's that Hepburn had held onto in her collections.

And Hepburn hung onto all sorts of old things. Many of the props in that movie were hers, including the sun hat she wears in a couple of scenes.

Stewart was rather sentimental about his movie career, and who could blame him? It was a great body of work.

Henry Fonda, who was a great actor, a wonderful life-long friend to Stewart, and quite an accomplished painter, once painted a picture of Pie, the horse that STewart rode in many of his westerns -- He rode him on screen for the last time in "Cheyenne Social Club," I believe -- any want, Fonda did this painting of the horse and when Stewart would talk about it, you could see the man get emotional, just as he did in the now-famous clip on Johnny Carson when he read his poem about his dog, Blue.

Sam

m0nk

One Too Many
I remember well the day that Jimmy Stewart passed away, it had more of an impact on me than any other celebrity death... I've been a big fan for a long time; ever since I saw The Glen Miller Story, the first Stewart film for me, and later learning that he was from PA, only a couple short hours from where I've lived most of my life. Seeing the article has only expanded my respect for such a great actor, and great man. Thank you for posting it! I imagine I'll feel the same way about one of my hats when I get much older... once I have enough hats to have a favorite, I'm sure.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Monk,

I remember the first time I saw the Glenn Miller Story ... it was probably in 1968 or 1970 .... and I was hooked.

I grew up in the 50s listening to the last of the swing trend ... for that era ... but after I saw Jimmie Stewart in that flik I started to find the Glenn Miller albumns and have been hooked on the real thing ever since. I was thrilled a few years ago when the swing trend re-emerged.

Another great movie along those lines was The Five Pennies where Danny Kaye played Red Nichols

Sam

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Here is the interview with Johnny Carson where they discuss his Western hat, starting at 54:49. Johnny reads the label, "and inside it says 'J Stewart Number 1'".

I'd really like to assume it is a No 1 Quality Stetson, but I think Johnny would have read it out clearly if that were the case. It looks like we'll only know it as a fairly generic prop. He found it for his movie "Winchester 73" made in 1950.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ