Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview

sfend002

Familiar Face
No hat. Get the job then express yourself through hat wear. Allow your other skills and accomplishments set you apart.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I just got back from an out-of-town job interview, and I decided against wearing a hat after going back and forth a few times.

The big deciders for me were the fact that it's August and I don't really have an appropriate hot-weather hat to go with my suit, and concern about "standing out" too much in the wrong way in a largely hatless era.

The second concern was probably overblown. One of the people I met wore a seersucker suit and French cuffs. I don't think an appropriate hat would have hurt at all.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
The interview

Shortbow is right. It is best to look like you are already part of the organization. If you get the job, then wear the hat; plenty of time to establish your own individuality after you've been issued the ID card, shown where to park, etc.

I see that the interview involves police work. Consider becoming an Atlanta homicide detective. An APD detective is given the right to wear a fedora after he/she solves his/her first homicide, thereby becoming a member of the hat squad. You see a crowd, flashing blue lights, a fedora, and you know: Someone is dead.

Check this out:

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/living/hat-squad-police/

animator

One of the Regulars
An interview is about what you can do for the company... not your personal style. I suggest dressing in a nice conservative suit out of respect for your prospective employer and leave the hat at home. Being enthusiastic, engaged in the conversation and smart are what you want to set you apart... not a hat.

Once you get the job, wear the hat and work hard! Everyone's happy!

Good luck! This advice worked well for me a few months ago when I got my new gig. I wish you the best!

-but if it's raining, wear the hat.

atkid

New in Town
FYI, my interview was held yesterday. No rain and no hat! Also, my wife wouldn't let me wear it ;-)

I think I aced the interview: panel of 3, just under 2 hours long, tough situational-type questions.

I believe the logistics with a hat would have worked OK, but agree with most of the postings about proving myself first and then demonstrating my personal style.

Best regards,
Derek.

Coming Soon: witty signature / quotation.

nulty

One of the Regulars
A fedora to an interview is fine as long as you treat the hat as part of your attire and not The part of your attire. It's just a hat after all but since it adds to the sense of style you are trying to convey , be comfortable with it.

I'd rather hire a fellow who I feel right about and has the right qualifications as opposed to someone who is trying to make me feel right about him..know what i mean? That being said don't wear a strictly vintage piece..I know you didn't mention that as an option..Certain vintage styles can attract to much attention and often don't work with some of today's sensibilities...In any event..

Good Luck on your Interview....Knock 'em out...!

animator

One of the Regulars
I'm glad to hear your interview went well! Let us know how it turns out!

If you get the job, celebrate by buying all of us new hats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo