Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview

atkid

New in Town
Greetings!

I have been lurking a while on The Fedora Lounge, however I just recently registered to join and this is my 1st post.

Later this week I have an important job interview coming up and would like feedback on wearing my caribou-colored i.e. gray Stetson Chatham to the interview. The other option is a Stetson Andover with Florentine Milan braid.

This would be my 1st interview since I started regularly wearing fedoras last year. I will likely be wearing my blue suit. The interview is for a Project Manager position at a Regional Police Force. I would really like to make a "statement" and differentiate myself from other candidates but don't want to seem presumptious.

Any comments on whether I should wear a fedora to the interview? If so, which one? Or would that be dependent on the weather that day: hot day = straw hat?

Also, they likely have a reception area when entering...Do I remove the hat soon after checking in or do I wait until my interviewee arrives to take me to their office?

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,
Derek Atkins

tortswon

Practically Family
Derek, I am by no means a fashion expert but I have a few thoughts. I think you should wait to see if the weather is conducive to wearing a felt hat. Walking into an interview perspiring will not be leave best first impression. I would not wear the Milan as it is too informal for an interview for a job where you are wearing a suit. Others may disagree on this but I view most Milans as casual hats.

I would definitely remove my hat when I walk in the door. Best, Sam

billysmom

One Too Many
Of course, if I were interviewing you I would be pleased that you cared enough about your appearance to finish it off with an outstanding hat! But then, you're asking for input from a narrow sample, aren't you?;) (I recently had someone show up for an interview for a high level administrative position with purple hair, tattoos and flip flops. This person did not receive an invitation for a second look!)

I'd go with whatever fits the weather that day.

The hat should come off as you enter the building, according to my grandfather. He was a true gentleman, so I'll pass on his opinion.

Sue

shortbow

Practically Family
As much as I'm a 'do your own thing kind of guy,' I'd have to say you'd probably be best off not wearing a hat at all.

I have hired people as well as working as a job counselor and one of the tips I pass along is to arrive at the interview looking as if you already work for the organization. Look like you want to fit in, cause no waves. After you have the job for awhile you can wear a tutu to work if you want to and if you are doing the job well, employers will probably look the other way.

Torpedo

One Too Many
If you make a search, you will find some threads regarding hats and work interviews, with abundance of opinions on the convenience of wearing any kinf of hats to such an occasion.

This said, definitely do not wear the Andover. It is too casual. Straw in general is seen as casual, the Andover is more so, it being two tone and with a relatively loud ribbon. Not that this is not a decent hat - I have one, for starters ;) (the grey/black variant), but it is not a formal hat.

Regards!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There are a bunch of threads on this topic:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=hat&as_epq=job+interview&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=thefedoralounge.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

I would assume that any police department is a conservative organization, and conservative organizations--I have worked for many in my career--aren't looking for trend setters. Let them remember you for your professionalism and good nature, not your clothes.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I disagree with the no hat theory. I spent several years as Academy and Personnel Sgt. at my fairly large department (350 officers) and I believe a properly worn hat is no issue at all. Given the shortage of qualified applicants, and the propensity for immature and unsuitable applicants, a police personnel interviewer would jump at the chance to grab an applicant that cares to look like he gives a d***, particularly given the military uniform and cover regs most agencies have. Do not wear the straw or an informal looking hat though. Make the hat fit the suit; the grey Chatham should be fine.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
shortbow said:
As much as I'm a 'do your own thing kind of guy,' I'd have to say you'd probably be best off not wearing a hat at all.

I have hired people as well as working as a job counselor and one of the tips I pass along is to arrive at the interview looking as if you already work for the organization. Look like you want to fit in, cause no waves. After you have the job for awhile you can wear a tutu to work if you want to and if you are doing the job well, employers will probably look the other way.

No offense, but I followed that kind of advice for years. Know where I am now, in spite of not having a single work-related blemish to my record? 3 years without a good job. Low-key "fitting in" doesn't work for every job seeker, or for every job. Sometimes, the nature of the company or position will clue you in if the interview requires the Man The Gray Suit mentality.

An interview is a chance (maybe the only chance) to shine. The first thing every interviewer wants to know (even if he doesn't ask) is what's so special about you. Pride in your appearance suggests that you care how others see you. Hopefully, this translates to doing your job well, because that effects how you are viewed by those you work with.

I have worn a hat to two interviews so far, and they have been ice-breakers. They asked me about it, complimented me. One interviewer commented that her husband wears hats, and another said that she missed the days when men were so stylish (and she was maybe 5 years older than me). I may not have gotten the jobs, but considering my competition, I could tell I wasn't the best choice.

I would not wear a straw hat to an interview. I say, felt or nothing. And only if you wear a jacket. Remove the hat as soon as you check in, and don't put it on until you leave. Unless your interviewer asks you to, of course. ;) Don't play with it during the interview. Place it on the floor or a clearly unoccupied chair. Or a coat rack if they have one.

Good luck.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
I think what the divergent opinions tells us is that there isn't a straightforward right or wrong answer on this one. My best advice is play to your audience. A job interview is all about putting your best foot forward and leaving a good impression with your potential boss. Ask yourself, "what will they think if I wear my hat to the interview"?

Honestly, I can't imagine they will care one way or the other so long as it complements your clothes (one never wants to look "costumey" no matter the situation) and you remember to take it off once inside. When you have the job and have proven yourself a valuable employee through work performance you will have a heck of a lot more room to express your own style whatever that might be.

Best of luck with the job hunt and welcome to the Lounge.

PS If you DO decide to wear a hat, the Chatham will be dressier than the Andover and the two tone Andover is too casual for business attire.

anon`

One Too Many
I'm with Mr. Paladin and Not-Bogart on this one, and I also wear a hat (always felt, but not simply because I have no "dressy" straws) to interviews.

I would advise two caveats, however: what you wear to the interview should be appropriate for the job, and you need to be comfortable with (not in, but with) whatever you wear. Wearing a suit and fedora for an interview to be a lineman or steamfitter might not be the best of ideas. But we're talking about a more-or-less office-based job in a professional organization. Caveat One OK.

The second is a bit more of a problem. For years after I started "wearing" hats, I was very self-conscious in doing so, and I think it probably showed to others. Had I worn a hat to an interview back then, I suspect that red flags would've gone up and it wouldn't have been in my best interests to have done do. Nowadays, however, they are very much a part of my daily wardrobe and I tend to treat them accordingly--most importantly, naturally. It works for me now, and I think that an interviewer getting hung up on my hat would be a red flag for myself (it's never a good thing for one's superiors to feel that their position is threatened--learned this one the hard way!) that maybe this job isn't all it's cracked up to be. You'll have to make this call yourself. But by all means, wear the Chatham if you decide to go with the hat. Grey compliments blue quite well.

Also, with respect to removing one's hat: if you care to draw the distinction, lobbies and foyers are considered "public" spaces. I would be inclined to leave my hat on whilst in them (such as while checking in), and then remove it when asked to enter the office or room where the interview is being conducted. Or when meeting the interviewer, whichever comes first.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First welcome to the Lounge great place and great people.

My goal when interviewing was to blend in. After all, I am seeking a position, one is not being created for me. If that is the case wear what you want.

After I get the job then I will distinguish myself by my performance and my appearance.

Good luck..........;)

Nizdar

New in Town
I don't care what anyone else says, the odds of the hat helping you are very low. There is a significant chance that it would hurt you, for reasons already mentioned.

Providing an ice breaker to start conversation is nice, but it is definitely not worth the risk at the interview stage.

bendingoak

Vendor
I have been on a lot of interviews for the fire department and had to be on panels to interview people for the position of firefighter. So, I have been on both sides of the table and a firefighter interview is one of the hardest to get though.

I say leave the hat at home because you are already thinking to much of the hat and what to do with it, when you should be focused on the task at hand.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
If a hat gives you a feeling of confidence, take it along! It may help you at the interview - good luck!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
daizawaguy said:
If a hat gives you a feeling of confidence, take it along! It may help you at the interview - good luck!

BUT, do follow the rules of when to take it off. It all depends on how you feel - if it gives you confidence.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, I have never been in a job interview so don't take too much notice of my advice.

Secondly, I think if you wear a hat you should carry it and not wear it at all whilst in the building, making it as inconspicuous as possible. The interviewer is least likely to get a bad impression this way and the hat will not be noticed as much as if you wear it. In other words, only wear it to and from the interview building. Also, it might be an idea to wear a plain coloured shirt and tie to dull the impression given by the hat.

Finally, the Chatham is the best choice as the dimensions make it more inconspicuous than wide brimmed hats and carribou is IMO the best shade of grey to wear with a suit, especially a blue one.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I've done some interviewing during the past few years, coinciding with my expanding my hat wearing.

I'd suggest leaving it in the car. While I've done both (worn it in, left it in the car) I find that the primary problem with wearing a hat into the building is what do you do with it once you get inside? There probably won't be a hat rack. You may find yourself gathering up yourself and your things to move from one location to another a few times--the hat is just one more thing to carry (assuming you're carrying a briefcase, for example, or you're given forms to fill out.)

Others have good points about how it may or may not be taken by the interviewer. I just wanted to point out a practical reason to leave it behind.

Good luck!

Tom

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Honestly, I think focusing on hats or anything else you wear is sort of missing the point.

I have been more on the interviewer than applicant end of this process, and my experience is entirely limited to engineering/scientific positions where the focus is overwhelmingly on performance, not appearance. Including a very "conservative" corporation.

But getting that out of the way, I'd wear something approximately in keeping with what others are wearing, but a tad more formal. In other words, most in the workplace may not wear ties these days, but for the interview I would. Maybe. If everyone wore ties, wear a suit or sports jacket. If everyone wore suits, yeah.

You want to be comfortable in any case. If you might feel uncomfortable for any reason with the hat, don't bring it. It'll just complicate matters. If the hat is part of who you are, don't give it a second thought and wear it.

Apart from that, a good job interview should be a mutual exploration of interest. They want to see if you might fit in and contribute something. You want to see if this is a place where you'd be happy working. It should not be a conversation between an applicant desperate to please on one end talking to someone who will blow you off because of some superficial matter. A good interviewer won't want to hire somebody desperate. Keep your dignity and confidence to the fore, ask a lot of questions, tell them honestly about your strengths and limitations.

If you get someone who falls into the superficial category, you should try to see if you can get a chance to talk with someone worthwhile. It's not the hat but what's under it that matters.

- Bill

atkid

New in Town
Hi again,

Thanks to everyone who has posted their feedback - I am very impressed with the various opinions presented. It definitely seems like the majority are recommending I do not wear the hat, however I think I'll use the following plan of action.

Take the Chatham in the car, arriving perhaps 10-15 minutes earlier than my appointment. While sitting in the car, I will:
- scope out the office (Isn't this called "casing the joint" in criminal lingo?)
- gauge the overall activity entering or leaving the office. Perhaps there are fedora wearers all over the place.
- psych myself up and determine whether I want the extra confidence that my fedora can provide.
- if it is raining, I will likely wear the hat anyway because I normally don't use an umbrella and this will seem like a relatively "normal" thing to do.

I'll let you know how it goes...interview is not until Aug 20th. I will upload a photo and signature to my profile soon.

Cheers,
Derek.

Coming Soon: witty signature / quotation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters