Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Wayne's Akubra?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
This is a great looking hat and I think it would make a great statement with either crease ... or with crease or "no-crease" options.

Either way, it's going to be a classic looking western lid.

Sam

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm working today and tomorrow, so I'll be hard pressed for good pictures. The back of the diamond has less "C" shape in the back and is more of an equal sided diamond now. I have to be put the stampede string in. I had Brian put in the big holes so I could use the leather stampede string and well, "The wind whistles through the Plains..." It's annoying in a way, and in a way it makes even a 15 knot wind seem like a big deal.

Later

Sam Craig

One Too Many
A stiff wind is especially troublesome when you are out in it all day.

When I was doing living history at Fort Larned I had a bonnet strap on all of my campaign hats. The only hat that didn't have a string was my formal dress hat, with all the embroidery and feathers. Fortunately, I didn't have to wear it all that often ... mainly for formal retreat ceremonies.

The rest of the time I either wore an officer-grade kepi or a civilian campaign hat.
When we were in the field ... especially when I was on horseback ... I NEVER wore a hat without bonnet strap.

Life on the Great Plains!

Sam

1961MJS

Hi Sam

Still no pictures, but I noted on Knudsen's site, that Duke's hat is made on a 7 inch open crown. I plan on adding dents to the back side of the diamonds to match the ones in the front I already have. It won't be the Duke's hat, but it will be an interesting take on a Vaquero / Boss of the Plains / Elko. It has a generally flat brim, dipped slightly in the front and back, with the Crown as described.

later

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Mike

A seven inch crown would seem about right.

When you watch those films, you can tell there's a deep crease going on.

The Resistol I worked with was about 6 inches. It is just a lot thicker felt than the cav hats were, but it turned out looking good.

Sam

1961MJS

Hi

I put creases in the back of the hat too, but they're pretty shallow. I put the stampede string in, but it doesn't stay that well. I may just put the leather string in. Pictures taken at Air Capital Gun Club in Whitewater KS. I wore the hat all afternoon before I took the pictures. I was nice and sweaty from cutting branches etc.

In theory, this is a 20x Resistol worth $449.00. I wouldn't have actually paid that much for a Resistol. It's not as nice as any of my other hats, but then it's not 100% beaver, or custom.

Finished_Resistol_04_am.jpg

Front View

Finished_Resistol_05_sm.jpg

Side View

Finished_Resistol_06_sm.jpg

Top VIew

Finished_Resistol_02_sm.jpg

Front View

Finished_Resistol_01_sm.jpg

Side View

Later

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Mike

It is what it is, but I think you're on to a good looking hat there.

It might take some wear and tear to get it where you want it, but you sure have a lot of raw material.

I'll bet it would be a nice one for warm weather, nice and light.

Looks good.

Sam

1961MJS

Hi

I took off the horsehair double loop stampede strings. They won't stay down for anything. Every time I set the hat down, the loops went over the top of the hat. I guess I COULD have sewed them down, but that didn't seem authentic somehow.

I went back to the leather shoelace that Brian gave me with the eyelets. I'm going by Tandy and see about getting something to use as a "keeper" to keep the strings under my chin when necessary, The leather matches the hat color pretty well, which is good I guess.

later

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Mike,

I think my all time favorite slide was a simple piece of antler I drilled a hole through. It looked cool after I worked some shoe polish into it to make it look old, and the weight kept the strap in place, whether I wore it in front or behind.

I know what you mean about the horsehair straps.
Not bad for a hatband, but I have to agree they aren't very handy as strings.

We've got a guy in one of our flea markets with all sorts of this type of material for sale.
Next time you're here to shoot, hollar and we'll run by. It just a couple blocks from my favorite coffee shop, too.

See ya,

Sam

1961MJS

Hi

I had a guy make me a keeper (so I wouldn't have to buy a $50.00 pair of scissors at Tandy. I needed them today (March 18, 2012) working outside, thing blew around all day.

Later

Hondo Hat

Got a Campdraft from Cane Rod Maker Tim & creased according to photos from Fort Apache, Rio Grande, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Hondo & Rio Bravo. Now it needs the wear & tear to get that experienced patina....
hondo-2.jpg

hondo-3.jpg

hondo-5.jpg

hondo-6.jpg

1961MJS

Got a Campdraft from Cane Rod Maker Tim & creased according to photos from Fort Apache, Rio Grande, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Hondo & Rio Bravo. Now it needs the wear & tear to get that experienced patina....
hondo-2.jpg

Hi

Where did you get the hat cord for this hat? I'm looking at getting some and having Mike sew them on a John Wayne hat. I HATE the bouncing dingleberries. How long have you had any of the hat cords? I have an older Field Officer black and gold that came apart quickly is why I'm asking.

Later

It may take me a while to locate the website. I was specifically looking for the gold & black. I'm sure it was a CW Reenactor supplier.
I have only had them thru this summer. I have had some that didn't seem to be made very well.

These are about the same = http://www.knudsenhats.com/accessories.html
Hi

Where did you get the hat cord for this hat? I'm looking at getting some and having Mike sew them on a John Wayne hat. I HATE the bouncing dingleberries. How long have you had any of the hat cords? I have an older Field Officer black and gold that came apart quickly is why I'm asking.

Later

Last edited:

1961MJS

Hi

I got the cord and Mike Moore is waiting for me to show up and get the Silver Mist bunny fur felt fitted. Can't wait, but can't get away soon either.

later

1961MJS

Hi Sam

Hope you get a look at this from up there. It ain't an Akubra, and it wasn't under $100, but I like it a lot. Buckaroo Hatters put this together for me. Wish we'd met.

28_Shiloh_Hat_Breakin_Post_zps489e9abc.jpg

RIP Sam Craig!!!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Looks like Resistol is releasing a 10X John Wayne calvalry hat as part of their John Wayne Collection (the others are a straw, black 4x felt, and black wool crushable):
1395182176817-172367700.jpeg

$300 bones.....I actually kinda like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo