Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp's brown fedora

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks,Moon. the light grey Ludora is a recent get. Just re-blocked, re-flanged and reshaped it.
8f227d91-a328-4237-8eb6-efce2a970601_zpsea1f5auc.jpg

Super light and thin. They are almost too soft as just a touch changes the shape on these. It's why they tend to have a little "wonk" Like Depp's hat usually dose.

absolutely amazing

the bash and pinch are perfection to me

tommyK

One Too Many
They don't have a name on them other than the internal tag designation of "Ta Ludora" or "Ta Ludola". which, as I understand it, are made up words, they don't mean anything in Italian. It may only be a style reference for retailers back in the day. The other words on the internal tag are the colors "Palladio" and "Bismuto".
Most retailers today selling these vintage hats might call them simply Borsalino's or perhaps "Alessandria" after the name of the modern equivalent.

I got one from Ebay and the other from fellow Lounger Bond in the classified section. The classified section here is a good place to keep an eye on as you can find good deals and avoid some of the fees and mark up of other online retailers. I've had very good experiences with all of my purchases from here.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Tony, I'm just a guy that collects and wears old hats. I'm a big size so there are less old hats available in my size. sizes 7-7 1/4 are more common. i pretty quickly learned if I wanted more hats of the quality and variety I like I would have to develop some skills to shape some of them up from decades of poor storage. So i got some crown blocks and brim flanges in the sizes and styles i liked, did some research here and did a lot of trial and error. Starting with some cheaper hats so mistakes were less costly if i ruined something. Turns out these old felts are really durable and can be reworked over and over.

Some here have experimented with dye and old hats but there is a potential problem there. A step in making most old hats was called luring. A type of oil is added to the felt for various reasons which may make it harder to evenly dye an old hat. Still, I think some have had some success.

Yes, these Borsalino's are very similar in style and proportion to the 50's style Stetson Open Road.

tony szno

New in Town
thnx tommyK. yes I see your dilemma. sizes, like stretching or shrinking? I'm fairly new with hats so I've limited myself to hats that are already in the shape I like. I've tried to reshape a fairly modern Stacey Adams with a tea kettle and my hands but it didn't turn out quite right and now its just siting at the bottom of my closet. you've been most helpful, I really appreciate your time

tommyK

One Too Many
Tony, I wouldn't stretch a hat to a bigger size. I buy hats that are my giant noggin size and only use a stretcher on a hat that is my size but has shrunk to be a little tight.

Many modern hats are difficult to reshape as they were never hand shaped to begin with. Their shape has been machine pressed in and takes a lot of work on a crown block with a lot of steaming and ironing to get it out to start over. Modern felts tend to be thicker and stiffer, like cowboy hats, also I don't think modern felts are made as well as vintage hats from the 60's and earlier. They are not as densely packed and don't have the magical combo of luring and shellac or stifferner. It seems to be an art lost when all the old hat manufacturers went out of business or changed hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21