Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Thunders jacket

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Haha, yes, it was! I loved that jacket so much even one of my idols couldn't prize it from me!! Would've been cool seeing him wear it, kind of strange as Thunders was a Keef look-a-like! I found the link for those made and sold through Camden Market... http://metallicko.es/cazadoras.htm Think they retail for around £200 in UK.

Edward

Bartender
I'd be surprised if the 666 jacket in the OP is a Lewis-made. Looks much more 'generic Perfecto'. Could imagine Thunders in a Schott, but chances are his original was some obscure 50s brand... bearing in mind the punk set back then bought all sorts of original fiftes and sixties jacketz because cool as they were, they were just cheap old jackets.... The British bands, once they got a bit of money, seem to have thrn flocked to LL for a Bronx or a Lightning. Or a Dominator, if you preferred a more Vicious stylee...

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I didn't think the 666 jacket was Lewis-made either. Thunders brought that jacket with him when they 'emigrated' from the States, he had that and an all red one, both vintage I think at the time. Yes, the British bands got themselves LL jackets, they were easier to obtain than the Brando-Schott style of jacket, you could also pick some nice second-hand Lewis jackets from the markets in London, I had a beat-up example that was really cheap.

Edward

Bartender
I didn't think the 666 jacket was Lewis-made either. Thunders brought that jacket with him when they 'emigrated' from the States, he had that and an all red one, both vintage I think at the time. Yes, the British bands got themselves LL jackets, they were easier to obtain than the Brando-Schott style of jacket, you could also pick some nice second-hand Lewis jackets from the markets in London, I had a beat-up example that was really cheap.

Yeah, funny to think now that Lewis were once cheap second hand.... heh. I remember about a decade ago going through the racks in Hi Star Classics, in the Arches (back before Capitalism Killed Camden), looking for a Lewis Plainsman to turn into a Franknfurter jacket... At that time, a new one was £400, and a used exampled still a whopping £200. Couldn't bring mysef to spend that on a costume piece (something screen accurate would be way too over-decorated for street wear for me... mind you, for non-costume purposes, for me fringing on a leather jacket is an absolute, non-negotiable deal-breaker). Wish I had now.... jinkies, I could probably have picked up every last obscure pin and had it perfect for the cost of the base-jacket used now.... lol

These days I really want a Lightning, to 1958 spec (i.e. lose the extra left forearm pocket that was added around 66). Tempted to have a root through the electric Ballroom some Sunday afternoon and see if I can turn up a half decent copy, or even something with a "lesser" Lewis label like Aviakit, which seems to help reduce the price...

atomicfireball

New in Town

Attachments

• Black and White D Boone Label.jpg
    Black and White D Boone Label.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • D boone 1950s full front.jpg
    D boone 1950s full front.jpg
    728.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Daniel Boone 1950s full Back.jpg
    Daniel Boone 1950s full Back.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 94

atomicfireball

New in Town
I was told by the previous owner that Daniel Boone Outerwear 2 star leather motorcycle jacket was sold at JC Pennys. I also seen it mentioned in a sold listing on Worthpoint. Johnny Thunders owned a similar black and white leather motorcycle jacket. I have never seen this MC Jacket before and I have owned a lot of leather jackets. Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• d boone hanger shot 5.jpg
    d boone hanger shot 5.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 87
  • d boone sideways 6.jpg
    d boone sideways 6.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 80
  • d boone ful back 7.jpg
    d boone ful back 7.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 68
  • d boone close up label.jpg
    d boone close up label.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • d boone red liner 3.jpg
    d boone red liner 3.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 78

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I was told by the previous owner that Daniel Boone Outerwear 2 star leather motorcycle jacket was sold at JC Pennys. I also seen it mentioned in a sold listing on Worthpoint. Johnny Thunders owned a similar black and white leather motorcycle jacket. I have never seen this MC Jacket before and I have owned a lot of leather jackets. Any info would be appreciated.

I heard about Daniel Boone being sold by a store, but could not recall the source or the store.

Interesting that the labels says trimmed in Vinyl.

The Two Tones were popular in the 50s. Sears had a couple in their catalog.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I came on here to post some newer (though obviously period) photos of Johnny Thunders that came in the album rereleases and rereading the thread I saw a funny, typically TFL moment where someone posted a photo of a vintage 50s Schott two tone, then someone replied saying Schott never made a two tone and they're liars, right next to the vintage two-tone. You can't make it up…

Anyway, I don't think Johnny Thunders's jacket was a Schott because the buckle is wrong and while the punk crowd did often modify their jackets by adding domes and stars (but not like the losers today who think they're being punk by cutting off the epaulettes/belt), I've never seen switching the buckle to be part of that trend.

The Boone jacket come close to one of the two-tone jackets he wore, but I think it's not quite it. The pockets lack piping as that does but the epaulettes are different. Possibly a jacket from the same manufacturer, but without the two-star that JC Penney specified? I believe this jacket (without the piping) is the one from the LAMF cover photo shoot.
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1e68165c-2071-45d9-bb5d-fda9dfa059f7_1080x1080.jpeg
1706908286817.jpeg

His other two-tone jacket (I think this is the one from the LAMF cover) is much closer to the Schott, though the buckle is different and the two-tone Schott lacks epaulette stars (although that's added easily enough to be fair). This one has top zips as well; maybe we're dealing with one of the New England makers that was known to do that?

b482193c8bc52a681e5145673d607476.jpg

And of course Thunders had a ton of other jackets, including some kind of women's motorcycle jacket with a black mouton collar, a women's Lightning. Naturally most of these jackets were probably picked up at secondhand shops with little thought except the colours and maybe what kinds of domes and things they could add to them, so our archaeology here is quaint.

I think Terry's suggestion to check Sears's offerings might bring results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21