Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Thunders jacket

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The man in action:
image.jpg

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I'd steer clear. Sure it looked great on Johnny but Johnny could pull a lot of stuff off that pretty much nobody else could. Would look great on the right girl though

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cyber's probably right, but it is an unusual jacket and the price is surprisingly good for a Japanese jacket. What I'd worry about, though, is getting the fit right, as your physique is probably unusual in the Japanese market. I saw Johnny wearing it at Max's a couple of times and thought it was a very cool jacket.

tropicalbob

Cyber's probably right, but it is an unusual jacket and the price is surprisingly good for a Japanese jacket. What I'd worry about, though, is getting the fit right, as your physique is probably unusual in the Japanese market. I saw Johnny wearing it at Max's a couple of times and thought it was a very cool jacket. L.A.M.F.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The other models from that site are nice as well. But then I type in "666 leather jacket Japan" or something and the google image results show it more as a fashion brand (cringe).

Cool to see the two-tone on a person back in the day though. Even cooler you saw it in person Bob.

tropicalbob

I think Aero had a jacket something like it a few years ago on their "Used" page, as I remember thinking it was like Thunders' jacket. There were a lot of used clothing stores in lower Manhattan back then where you could find all sorts of great stuff for next to nothing.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
my favorite Johnny rumor is that he almost drowned when he passed out into a bowl of cereal, but was rescued lol

Last edited:

Blackadder

The other models from that site are nice as well. But then I type in "666 leather jacket Japan" or something and the google image results show it more as a fashion brand (cringe).

Cool to see the two-tone on a person back in the day though. Even cooler you saw it in person Bob.
Well, Lewis Leather is only available at a major fashion store over here.;) Most if not all the jackets available in that store are also the slim fit "T" cut.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This style was made by a few companies in the 1950s. Kit Carson is one that springs to mind.
Can't say I've ever seen an old Schott of this style. They're pretty bad for claiming to have invented or made things they never did (introducing the zipper to jackets, the jacket in The Wild One, etc.)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's amazing that exact black-white color combination on identical panels took off between different makers! I wonder who made the first one? Interesting.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
There's a company in Europe that also retail through Camden Market that advertise Johnny Thunders jackets, I have an ad in a music mag for them somewhere, will post the name if I can find it. I had a similar jacket that I bought in the King's Rd in 1977/8, slightly different, had a black belt and epaulettes which also had stars on them and the collar part was black, artists such as members of the Damned, Only Ones, Squeeze and Jimmy Pursey also had them from the same place, he can be seen wearing it in this clip showing it well..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShfaRUzrL0
I loved that jacket but it went 'missing' at a gig in 1979. I knew and briefly worked with Thunders back then, had followed The Heartbreakers and then The Living Dead (Thunders, Pistols' Steve, Paul and sometimes Sid, Pete Perrett). Saw Johnny's jacket a lot, he carried it off as he did his red leather LL?
jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR