Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson leather Horween 6oz cxl overdye D-pocket and 4.5 -5oz CXL natural LeatherTogs project

Psant25

One Too Many
That is interesting. Im not sure JL specified horse. I see horween and cxl and overdye used on IG not specifically horsehide. I probably should ask about prior to my order if I get the 3.5 oz horween overdye

roadking04

Practically Family
Holy from Aero once claim it is impossible to have horsehide (not strip or shell cordovan) over 3oz, if it's over 3oz then it is not horse.
Interesting topic to discuss,

Who do we believe? What about Lost world's 4.5+? Even Schott claims their hh is 3-3.5oz(I tend to believe it is 3oz myself). Wasn't your 6oz JL suppose to be horse?

Hh121

Banned
That is interesting. Im not sure JL specified horse. I see horween and cxl and overdye used on IG not specifically horsehide. I probably should ask about prior to my order if I get the 3.5 oz horween overdye
yes, they do horsehide. The weight they claimed really doesn't matter too much, I will still choose JL overdye, you won't get this hide at other place.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I somehow think it is more about
"that's unusual, we don't currently have that in stock, your order is too small to cook a new special batch" If you order large enough I bet they will make it happen.

Hh121

Banned
I somehow think it is more about
"that's unusual, we don't currently have that in stock, your order is too small to cook a new special batch" If you order large enough I bet they will make it happen.
that's one way to think about this, but keep in mind I purchased the hide from their retailer, the price is much much higher.

dannyk

One Too Many
6oz was cowhide, LW definitely has 4oz plus horsehide, I believe what Schott use is 2.5-3oz.
Most Schott models are around 3oz give or take. Standard middle of the road. A few of their models their 613SH for example is 3.5oz. I owned one once and it was noticeably thicker and of a bit “better” nature than their standard. Creased up real nice. Nothing like LW or Vanson or JL. So don’t think I mean thick and tough as hell just noticeably a lot better than their standard. And then their horween collabs which those are obviously a completely different hide/tannery so those are in a separate category.

Hh121

Banned
Most Schott models are around 3pz five or take. Standard middle of the road. A few of their models their 613SH for example is 3.5oz. I owned one once and it was noticeably thicker and of a bit “better” nature than their standard. Creased up real nice. Nothing like LW or Vanson or JL. So don’t think I mean thick and tough as hell just noticeably a lot better than their standard. And then their horween collabs which those are obviously a completely different those/tannery so those are in a separate category.
most schott cross zip with belt in nowadays weight little under 5 lbs, if you take out the belt it weight little above 4 lbs, that's not 3.5 oz, more like 2.5 oz, I had a Wested Indy jacket at size 42 weight 3.3 lbs and their leather thickness is 2.5 oz

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
maybe the retailer don't want to risk having the remaining of the minimum order batch to stay in their stock, probably if you call several jacket makers and talk about it, probably together you can convince them to make a batch?

Hh121

Banned
maybe the retailer don't want to risk having the remaining of the minimum order batch to stay in their stock, probably if you call several jacket makers and talk about it, probably together you can convince them to make a batch?
maybe, for horsehide I will only go to Lost Worlds.

roadking04

Practically Family

Does JL have a horsehide label? Every horsehide jacket I have seen always had a designated horsehide label of some sort.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Interesting topic to discuss, I have only seen two company use horween cxl horsehide over 3oz :
1. LEFTFILED NYC, their collaboration jacket with Vanson made from horween cxl 3.5 oz horsehide.
2. Johnson leather: use horween cxl horsehide range from 2-4.75oz. Their recent horween cxl horsehide jacket weight 7.5 lbs at size 50.
Holy from Aero once claim it is impossible to have horsehide (not strip or shell cordovan) over 3oz, if it's over 3oz then it is not horse.

I have one of these LeftField CXL jackets, and the first thing i thgouth when i opened the box was "if aero uses 3.5oz, this is definitely 3oz".
The CXL batch used by Vanson on the commando is noticeably thinner than what Aero has used on all my jackets.

Hh121

Banned
Ship out from Horween today, I changed color from natural to brown, rich and beautiful chromexcel!
C24309E5-946A-4915-A933-4310244E2452.jpeg

roadking04

Practically Family
Looks like a great hide. I don't think you can go wrong with Horween. Are they shipping the leather to you or the maker? I would be curious as to how much the raw leather weighs. I am glad you didn't give up. I am looking forward to the process and the end results.

Hh121

Banned
Looks like a great hide. I don't think you can go wrong with Horween. Are they shipping the leather to you or the maker? I would be curious as to how much the raw leather weighs. I am glad you didn't give up. I am looking forward to the process and the end results.
Thanks, RK. I got three sides, Horween was able to meet the request and give me 2 large side at 22 sqft and one 17.5 sqft, it shipped to maker directly. The weight is 61.5 sqft x 5.75oz(average weight )= 353 oz = 22 lbs, there will be some wasted leather as expected.

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks, RK. I got three sides, Horween was able to meet the request and give me 2 large side at 22 sqft and one 17.5 sqft, it shipped to maker directly. The weight is 61.5 sqft x 5.75oz(average weight )= 353 oz = 22 lbs, there will be some wasted leather as expected.

Sounds great double h. I figured it would be easier to ship directly to the maker. Your jacket should easily weigh in the double digits. I THINK a Vanson model "E" starts out with 12lbs of raw material. Seems like they usually end up being between 7 and 8 pounds when finished.

When completed, this will make you the Undesputed, Undefeated, Heavyweight Champion of the fedora lounge!

dannyk

One Too Many
You should see if they can make you a belt or wallet with the “waste” that would be really cool and save on the “waste.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points