Johnson leather Horween 6oz cxl overdye D-pocket and 4.5 -5oz CXL natural LeatherTogs project

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Hh121, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Monitor

Monitor

So, as @navetsea already asked, what's the problem if they shave the edges where they'll stitch the panels, if the rest of the jacket is still going to be heavy? Let them skive the edges.

@Peacoat is right, though - It simply isn't possible to construct a leather jacket out of a 4 + oz leather, let alone 6oz. Even LW is exaggerating the thickness of their leather which is 3.5 oz at best - I don't mean that in a bad way, LW leather is still mega thick & one of the heaviest on the market but it's just clear that it's literally impossible to work with anything substantially thicker.
    But yeah, you just cannot fold such heavy leather in a way that'd allow you to stitch in, I dunno, pocket piping, zippers, etc. It's not possible. Best you can hope for is for the large panels to have the middle intact, with the edges skived to a workable thickness.

My first Natal was made of a heaviest leather I've ever handled and even that jacket had to have been very soft and spongy for it to even exist.

North_Star, El Marro, ton312 and 2 others like this.
  2. Brian.HH

Brian.HH New in Town

Yes, sewing machines can be very restrictive, that's why most companies will skive the edges.
    I'm in the process of making my own leather jacket out of 5.5oz leather. It will be hand stitched, thus I could use any thickness of leather I wanted.

JustinW, navetsea, roadking04 and 3 others like this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Please make a thread showing us every step!
    I dream of making one, and love when others actually do it.

4. Brian.HH

Brian.HH New in Town

Ok! I may do it it the next days. If I do, I'll let you know here.

5. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

woww, that's sounds great, so you prick the holes with that fork like tool prior to sew right? how to aligned them correctly between panel? or do you only prick one panel and use the evenly spaced hole as a guide to prick the other panel directly when sewing?

my mom is a dressmaker all herlife. one day when I visited her she complained her maid/ assistant changed the setting on the machine she personally use, need to call someone from Singer to tweak it back to work with cloth she usually use, I know the machine, my grandma also own one and the tweak is just simple looking but what do I know, another time I went to order a special made bike seat from thick pleather for my bike, the guy also used the same machine style (but a Singer knock off) and he work on that thick sticky pleather on foot pedal machine:eek:.

Jin431 and JustinW like this.
  6. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

^^ I always thought @navetsea made your own jackets for some reason lol

7. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

He definitely designs his own jackets.

Jin431 and navetsea like this.
  8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I only draw my jacket and bring it to a local leather jacket/ leather bag maker, like if you order custom jacket to fivestar.:)

Monitor, Marc mndt and Jin431 like this.
  9. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

That makes sense to me now. That's cool to have your design come to life from start to finish.

navetsea likes this.
  10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

lately new makers are getting more open with sharing their WIP photos like Field leather, and fivestar that is also make you able to try out your creativity, surely a nice phase this hobby.

El Marro, Jin431, Monitor and 3 others like this.
  11. Brian.HH

Brian.HH New in Town

Oh yes, every hole has to be considered individually. With leather, if you punch a hole too close to the edge it becomes very weak (with fabric that is not as big of a problem). I'm drawing the template in Solidworks, in which I'm going to position every single stitch hole. Then the template gets printed and the holes punched. I've done this process in a backpack project with a few hundred stitch holes, in this jacket it is going to be more than a thounsand.
    I do really like sewing machines, for sewing fabric. I have enherited a sewing machine from my grandmother, she received the machine as a present from her mother in the 1940's. All my fabric projects get done in this machine, it wors beautifully.

Will Zach, navetsea, El Marro and 2 others like this.