Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson leather Horween 6oz cxl overdye D-pocket and 4.5 -5oz CXL natural LeatherTogs project

Hh121

Banned
Well then I apologize for making a joke if this stupid jacket business upsets you that much, I really do. I didn't think you'd be taking this thing so seriously. It's just a leather jacket, man. I'm all for the heaviest leather and you know that but I also know it's a ridiculous fixation that nobody can and should be taking seriously. But okay, wish you all the luck in getting... Whatever it even is that you're after. I don't really know, to be honest, that's why I said you maybe don't even want a leather jacket.
I deleted that comment, sorry, I was very serious about this project and you were right, I shouldn't, not worth it.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Yay we’re all friends again! Haha. But for real I love @Monitor and you @Hh121. So I’m glad this is resolved. And seriously consider thickness and weight as sometimes being in conflict. Like I said I have personally seen it a ton. Because the way they measure besides thickness but a lot of times they get the oz measurement by converting the thickness. But if something isn’t dense and spongey it won’t actually be that weight. In the end glad you saved yourself a headache and let’s see what you come up with next!

Last edited:
@Hh121 And I shouldn't have made fun of your project like that although as I already stated, I really want you to go heaviest you can and not settle for anything less because it's clearly something that's important to you and getting a skived or lighter hide won't make you happy. You've had some massive jackets in the past and you wanna go heavier and that's fine. It's something I would go for too if I could but there's just no way I can pull it off, especially not in Europe (except maybe if I try those German guys?) so I figured that's one path I'm going to have to give up on following. I'll just settle with Schott. It's right there in the middle of everything, good jackets, reasonable money, great look... I'm happy.

@dannyk , you're right but most hide trading some aspect for the other but I keep thinking, what about that hide they make biker vests in Russia from? I've seen a couple of these and it's bona fide 3-4 mm thick and definitely not spongey or soft, but I've never seen anything other than a vest made from it. But if they can stitch that stuff, maybe they could pull of a jacket from it?

000_1024x1024.jpg

Hh121

Banned
project will continue, I found a company who has a gut to do this, I should remain anonymous about the name but I guarantee it is one of the best.
6oz brown or nature (premier run) from Horween, this will be a true 6 oz jacket because this company don't skive leather. I will make another thread when jacket arrives if I have a permission.

Brian.HH

New in Town
project will continue, I found a company who has a gut to do this, I should remain anonymous about the name but I guarantee it is one of the best.
6oz brown or nature (premier run) from Horween, this will be a true 6 oz jacket because this company don't skive leather. I will make another thread when jacket arrives if I have a permission.
That's great! I'm happy for you and can't wait to continue reading this thread. Can we take guesses on what company that is? I'm pretty sure I know... :D

Hh121

Banned
That's great! I'm happy for you and can't wait to continue reading this thread. Can we take guesses on what company that is? I'm pretty sure I know... :D
Can I respectfully ask you to keep it to yourself? there is a reason I do that, thanks.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is the project all agreed? Do you have a lead time?

@Hh121 And I shouldn't have made fun of your project like that although as I already stated, I really want you to go heaviest you can and not settle for anything less because it's clearly something that's important to you and getting a skived or lighter hide won't make you happy. You've had some massive jackets in the past and you wanna go heavier and that's fine. It's something I would go for too if I could but there's just no way I can pull it off, especially not in Europe (except maybe if I try those German guys?) so I figured that's one path I'm going to have to give up on following. I'll just settle with Schott. It's right there in the middle of everything, good jackets, reasonable money, great look... I'm happy.

@dannyk , you're right but most hide trading some aspect for the other but I keep thinking, what about that hide they make biker vests in Russia from? I've seen a couple of these and it's bona fide 3-4 mm thick and definitely not spongey or soft, but I've never seen anything other than a vest made from it. But if they can stitch that stuff, maybe they could pull of a jacket from it?

000_1024x1024.jpg

I like this vest, it really looks like a historical breast plate! Who makes these?

I like this vest, it really looks like a historical breast plate! Who makes these?

You can find these on Etsy. I discovered them thru Night wolves, the Russian MC club. For example...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/271148516/classic-leather-motorcycle-biker-vest

They're definitely armor grade leather, same as that stuff used in the ancient times. Barely bends though for all intents and purposes, you could say the leather isn't pliable at all and that's something that isn't going to change ever. Leather is half a centimetre thick without any exaggeration. Some guy here in Croatia used to make them too and they're massively impressive. I always wanted to order one but they're too MC and I felt I'd look too poser-ish in one. Anyway, the ones he'd make were the same, although with shinier leather that'd develop deep grain at a few places you'd get it to crease and shape around you. Amazing looking thing but like I said, I've only seen bikers wear them and these guys are very touchy about who wears what.

Hh121

Banned

I would say 2 months , I got 2 weeks waiting from Horween, they have been very easy to communicate said current batch of leather is not so consistent in terms of color and they will get best one for me and they will lock the weight between 5.5 - 6 oz.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would say 2 months , I got 2 weeks waiting from Horween, they have been very easy to communicate said current batch of leather is not so consistent in terms of color and they will get best one for me and they will lock the weight between 5.5 - 6 oz.

That's a reasonable lead time, looking forward to see it completed!

Hh121

Banned
It is interesting that when I asked Horween if I can get heavy CXL horsehide, they said CXL horsehide only comes with no more than 3 oz.

dannyk

One Too Many
It is interesting that when I asked Horween if I can get heavy CXL horsehide, they said CXL horsehide only comes with no more than 3 oz.
I wonder if that’s just for them though. Like maybe anything heavier is harder to work with, maybe the CXL treatment doesn’t take as well, maybe they think it’s ugly, maybe they do make heavier but not in CXL. I never really trust a company on that. Because leather is just hide. Some animals even of the same breed will have much thicker skin Than others based on genetics, where it lives, it’s diet and atmosphere. But some companies just don’t use it/like it, or have issues with how certain things take to their tanning, cutting. Who knows.

Hh121

Banned
I wonder if that’s just for them though. Like maybe anything heavier is harder to work with, maybe the CXL treatment doesn’t take as well, maybe they think it’s ugly, maybe they do make heavier but not in CXL. I never really trust a company on that. Because leather is just hide. Some animals even of the same breed will have much thicker skin Than others based on genetics, where it lives, it’s diet and atmosphere. But some companies just don’t use it/like it, or have issues with how certain things take to their tanning, cutting. Who knows.
Interesting topic to discuss, I have only seen two company use horween cxl horsehide over 3oz :
1. LEFTFILED NYC, their collaboration jacket with Vanson made from horween cxl 3.5 oz horsehide.
2. Johnson leather: use horween cxl horsehide range from 2-4.75oz. Their recent horween cxl horsehide jacket weight 7.5 lbs at size 50.
Holy from Aero once claim it is impossible to have horsehide (not strip or shell cordovan) over 3oz, if it's over 3oz then it is not horse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points