Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson leather Horween 6oz cxl overdye D-pocket and 4.5 -5oz CXL natural LeatherTogs project

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Actually the thickest jacket ever made was by a German maker, http://www.wildfangdesign.de/
I have not verified it physically, but I don't see them lying about it, it was made for a collector if I remember correctly
@red devil You're right. I was in contact with Wildfangdesign about 4-5 years ago regarding 4mm thick deerskin which was no longer availble. They offered the 5mm thick (12-13oz) bullneck jacket instead...here are pics. Jacket was too expensive for me (3000€):

600;jsessionid=E3A6007A746670D0D9E0D749E7089FA8-n1.bap19b

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@red devil You're right. I was in contact with Wildfangdesign about 4-5 years ago regarding 4mm thick deerskin which was no longer availble. They offered the 5mm thick (12-13oz) bullneck jacket instead...here are pics. Jacket was too expensive for me (3000€):

Bull neck leather is supposed to be soft, but 5 mm... I don't know, man...btw, pics don't show for me.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I got in touch with them, and was planning to go visit them as they have a lot of unique leathers in small quantities they collected over the years. This got put off because of the pandemic.
Wasn't sure what their price point was though, they are pricier than I thought

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I got in touch with them, and was planning to go visit them as they have a lot of unique leathers in small quantities they collected over the years. This got put off because of the pandemic.
Wasn't sure what their price point was though, they are pricier than I thought
The reason for the high price was the time intensive work to make a jacket of such a thick hide. I guess other jackets are not as expensive as this one. I think they are worth a visit. The owners are very friendly and responsive.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if just to get that effect of chunky collar, just add piping around the edges
or a strip of thin leather to cover the edges like the edge finishing on the visor of some cap or leather bag.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
any guess as to the finished weight of your 6oz creation?
Considering a 3.5 oz jacket in size 40 is usually around 6 lbs part of which has to be attributed to hardware that is the same regardless of leather thickness, a 6 oz is probably 10 lbs-ish. In a larger size probably up to 12 or 13.

Hh121

Banned
Considering a 3.5 oz jacket in size 40 is usually around 6 lbs part of which has to be attributed to hardware that is the same regardless of leather thickness, a 6 oz is probably 10 lbs-ish. In a larger size probably up to 12 or 13.
Interesting topic to discuss, what's the weight of your JL

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Interesting topic to discuss, what's the weight of your JL
This one
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dark-brown-m200-johnson-leather-jacket-size-42.97826/
from the blackened brown supposedly Horween hide that I estimate at 4 oz is 3.2kg/ 7 lbs.

My heaviest jacket is the Aero 4 oz black steerhide Veste de Rallye at 3.8kg / 8.4 lbs but it is a long style.

The jacket with the thickest hide is unquestionably the zipsleeve HWM from crazier Aero times that comes in at 3,6kg / 7,9 lbs which is stupidly heavy considering it is a small jacket 62 cm backlength and no double crosszip front. I suspect Aero back then used to order the 2mm clx steerhide you find at many retailers. edit; If Alan makes your jacket from something similar which I assume he will, with the extra hardware, larger size and double front, it will surely be 10 lbs or even 11.

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
This one
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dark-brown-m200-johnson-leather-jacket-size-42.97826/
from the blackened brown supposedly Horween hide that I estimate at 4 oz is 3.2kg/ 7 lbs.

My heaviest jacket is the Aero 4 oz black steerhide Veste de Rallye at 3.8kg / 8.4 lbs but it is a long style.

The jacket with the thickest hide is unquestionably the zipsleeve HWM from crazier Aero times that comes in at 3,6kg / 7,9 lbs which is stupidly heavy considering it is a small jacket 62 cm backlength and no double crosszip front. I suspect Aero back then used to order the 2mm clx steerhide you find at many retailers. edit; If Alan makes your jacket from something similar which I assume he will, with the extra hardware, larger size and double front, it will surely be 10 lbs or even 11.
Some useful information here, thanks.

It is very heavy for size 40 weight at 7 lbs, my current JL weights only 7.2 lbs with longer length and extra panel, @ton312 said he asked 4.5 oz hide, sleeves feel thinner than front panel,something I want to avoid in this project. I guess your JL must be at least 4.5 oz? Of course the Aero highwayman is another story, 5 oz may e? I would say I will be little upset if my finished jacket weight under 10 lbs.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would suggest obtaining a "RunFast" Weighted vest to wear over your new 6OZ creation to assist with break in. In fact, I suggest buying it ahead of time and weighting it to around 40 - 50 lbs so you can start preparing for wearing this jacket. I treid one of these out that a firefighter was traiing with at our gym last week, they really help your cardio workout! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner