Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson leather Horween 6oz cxl overdye D-pocket and 4.5 -5oz CXL natural LeatherTogs project

I'd go with bubble wrap liner as an attention getter....:p
6C52626E-8E2D-4CA6-8720-D370B3AC3681.gif

In all seriousness I do think a lightweight liner is a must. I’m a sweaty dude (sorry for all those whom have bought my stuff, rest assured I don’t wear it often:)). But man the sheer weight of the hide is almost liner enough. Go light and durable. I almost suggested corduroy but figured you’d pass out in under a minute.

Hh121

Banned
In all seriousness I do think a lightweight liner is a must. I’m a sweaty dude (sorry for all those whom have bought my stuff, rest assured I don’t wear it often:)). But man the sheer weight of the hide is almost liner enough. Go light and durable. I almost suggested corduroy but figured you’d pass out in under a minute.
How do you feel the warmness of your heavy HB in winter? I wear heavy woolrich corduroy shirt when temp around 20 degree, add hoodie when temp drop to 14 (already too cold to wear leather jacket).

How do you feel the warmness of your heavy HB in winter? I wear heavy woolrich corduroy shirt when temp around 20 degree, add hoodie when temp drop to 14 (already too cold to wear leather jacket).
Dude I’m the worst person to ask. Honestly I could “almost” rock a t shirt in Chicago year round. I have raging high blood pressure and I’m like a tea pot at full bore on the stove. I honestly think that’s what I don’t wear my leathers all that often. I’m worried I won’t wear my Goodgal at all b/c the shearling and leather combo will drive me nuts.

antoine p

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, but does anyone have an idea of the scope of the leathers JL offers? Seems like they are willing to take on any project, that's worth a lot for a seasoned maker. I'm curious about the hides they have access to.

Hh121

Banned
anything.
it's not hard to source the hide, I saw some 5-6 oz horween CXL blue steel hide, extremely beautiful, perfect for half belt jacket.
next time I will bring the hide to JL.

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, but does anyone have an idea of the scope of the leathers JL offers? Seems like they are willing to take on any project, that's worth a lot for a seasoned maker. I'm curious about the hides they have access to.
Best way to find that info is to contact them. Or you can contact Alan who is a member of this forum.

Alan@JohnsonLeather

They can make a jacket up to 8oz if I recall correctly. Basically a concrete suit.

antoine p

One of the Regulars
Lol. Not chasing the heavier hides, though I respect the pursuit and am looking forward to the outcome of this project.

@Peacoat, you're right, I'll get in contact.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
With heavy hide, the liner should also be a strong fabrics, not necessarily hot or thick blanket like, but must be a strong one. The seams inside would be quite a bulk construction, and it would be grinding into the liner, i think it must be canvas if natural, or perhaps denim or heavy twill with the stronger side (blue part) facing the inside construction , and the softer and weaker white side facing your clothes to limit color transfer and to feel softer.....
But for you HH, i would vote for tan sheepskin( smooth side out) strong breathable, can condition the jacket from both sides for maintenance. And would be truly legendary, probably a strip along the top of the shoulder with suede side out so the jacket would rest and grip securely over your shoulder, like a strip of suede out on the heel part on the lining of your shoe.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Can also consider this, on my nat veg tan, since the edges is hard and dry too and probably cut onto fabrics pretty fast, i asked for this , so it is covered by a strip of sheepskin around the shoulder to sleeve seam where i can foresee a lot of stress would happen.
Screenshot_20200824-144217_Gallery.jpg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

They can source almost anything when I asked, it just takes more time if they don't have the item in stock

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
15oz or 18oz duck cotton should be fine, I like army green color.
View attachment 255921 [/QTE]
Thats a nice lining definitely a heavy duty one, the test has a 15oz cotton duck an it takes longer to break the duck in than the leather! Thats crazy. Keep that in mind hh your already getting a beast hide ( if dinosaur hide was an option you will get) so getting a beast linner will drastically add to the difficulty of this jacket break in process. Good luck

Hh121

Banned
Probably not a realistic fabric for my jacket, it's just so much fun by looking at those heavy/durable fabric and imagine it will be use on my jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy