Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic jacket. I have seen some very interesting jackets on here from Johnson Leathers utilizing some intriguing leathers. Does JL serve a certain niche in the market? I would like to have a custom, everyday jacket made. Desire something truly out of the norm, but not over the top, and am wondering if JL is one of the better options in the US.

I certainly think they’re a great option. ^ Peruse the threads of past here, even going back to five plus years ago; there have been some amazing pieces to come from Alan.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic jacket. I have seen some very interesting jackets on here from Johnson Leathers utilizing some intriguing leathers. Does JL serve a certain niche in the market? I would like to have a custom, everyday jacket made. Desire something truly out of the norm, but not over the top, and am wondering if JL is one of the better options in the US.

I noticed JL makes great motorcycle jackets (double rider/cafe racer/CHP style single or cross zip), they also have a good looking trucker jacket and a slim fitting half belt. For full custom jackets, JL is the only one I know in the US. For semi custom there is vanson. What leather and style are you looking into?

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
Thanks man. It is a custom jacket by them even though it's fairly simple design. But sizing would be a true to size 36 (short)
Thanks :) While you were there were you able to try the Horween Vermont Espresso hide as well? I used to have a jacket in that leather and loved how easy it was to wear. If you were able to try to the Horweeen Vermont, how does this new German leather compare?

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
That's great that you saw it up close. It's really nice to look at but even better to wear. I don't know how to pronounce it but definitely nice to have a name to refer too. Yes, it's perfect for us in the Bay. Hope they offer it in other colors too.

I like the Hawaiian one you have on that brown naked cow that you have. What did you get for the next order? And when will you pick it up?

Thanks, I actually changed it out for another blue Hawaiian lining while I was getting some alterations done, and it's black but my phone for some reason shows it as brown.

If all goes to plan I should be picking it up this Saturday.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thanks :) While you were there were you able to try the Horween Vermont Espresso hide as well? I used to have a jacket in that leather and loved how easy it was to wear. If you were able to try to the Horweeen Vermont, how does this new German leather compare?

The midweight veg tanned Vermont espresso in medium brown and seal brown (also available in black though not in stock) that they have is really nice, it feels softer to touch and maybe a little lighter to wear compared to my jacket. I would believe that it will show teacore effect when it wears compared to the dyed through black German HH. I would have picked the German HH though as it feels more substantial but still being midweight plus they did not have black leather in stock anyways. They also offer Horween Milan now which feels a touch stiffer/heavier than the German HH.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, I actually changed it out for another blue Hawaiian lining while I was getting some alterations done, and it's black but my phone for some reason shows it as brown.

If all goes to plan I should be picking it up this Saturday.

So the 2.5 oz black overdye car coat will also have the Hawaiian themed lining, that's going to be fresh! Can't wait to see that in action

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
It’s... beautiful, perfect, I don’t even know what to say. I’m almost about drafting an email to JL right now asking to get one exactly like it, even though I know getting it shipped to Europe and paying customs would destroy me. DAMN. It’s the nicest I’ve seen in a good while.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
It’s... beautiful, perfect, I don’t even know what to say. I’m almost about drafting an email to JL right now asking to get one exactly like it, even though I know getting it shipped to Europe and paying customs would destroy me. DAMN. It’s the nicest I’ve seen in a good while.
Thanks man @torfjord. That's very kind of you, much appreciated. So happy this turned out how it look/fit/feel. I believe it's up there with your short jacket look that I see you with all the time. I got it for $899 with tax included. Bummer how expensive it would be to get something made here and shipped to Europe so I feel for you.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Thanks man @torfjord. That's very kind of you, much appreciated. So happy this turned out how it look/fit/feel. I believe it's up there with your short jacket look that I see you with all the time. I got it for $899 with tax included. Bummer how expensive it would be to get something made here and shipped to Europe so I feel for you.

Yeah and tax and toll fee would add 62% on that price. Would almost be cheaper to fly to SF and pick it up in person
Awesome jacket!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yeah and tax and toll fee would add 62% on that price. Would almost be cheaper to fly to SF and pick it up in person
Awesome jacket!

Damn that's expensive! That's crazy. I'm sure Greg at FL can make this for you, he is working on the brother of this jacket. It will be made from black aniline shinki, Nickel hardware, bottom hem with waist bands, side panel with side adjusters that will be ready by the end of the year.

Thanks again

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I did it and enjoyed it :)

Edit: Visiting the JL shop was a lot of fun, highly recommended

I can imagine that it would be a lot of fun to visit and get measured in person. I’ve only been to SF once, 6 years ago, on a business trip but I really enjoyed the city.
What was it you got from them? Some sort of cross zip if I remember correctly?

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can imagine that it would be a lot of fun to visit and get measured in person. I’ve only been to SF once, 6 years ago, on a business trip but I really enjoyed the city.
What was it you got from them? Some sort of cross zip if I remember correctly?

This one

yEZ52H1.jpg

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leathers-black-cowhide-mc-500.102488/

I have another one in the works :)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

They are indeed. Alan is on FL so you can PM him to start. I have been discussing one wiht them a bit,

To the OP - quite a unique build here! I also really like the "simply complex" build of this jacket. It hits a huge amount of oh so right buttons, and manages to pull off a really strong style without being over the top. Nicely done!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

This just looks the part. I really feel JL makes some of the best cross zips especially for riders

They are indeed. Alan is on FL so you can PM him to start. I have been discussing one wiht them a bit,

To the OP - quite a unique build here! I also really like the "simply complex" build of this jacket. It hits a huge amount of oh so right buttons, and manages to pull off a really strong style without being over the top. Nicely done!

Thank you so much! Really wonderful to have this forum to serve as great resource so it kind of made it easy for me to pick out which details I like but it's up to the JL crew to piece it together and make it work which they did superbly and then some.

Cornelius

Practically Family

Agreed. I'm curious to see what horse or goat hides JL offers in various shades of brown to possibly do a make up like this. I'll have to wait until their website comes back online it seems.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. I'm curious to see what horse or goat hides JL offers in various shades of brown to possibly do a make up like this. I'll have to wait until their website comes back online it seems.

Just message them on instagram, call them or email them that will be faster.

For goatskin I know they have a chrome tanned seal brown leather with finish from a New York tannery (I have a jacket made out of it), they also showed me a seal brown goatskin but without finish that's not water repellent but feels softer to touch. I'm sure they can source different shades of brown depending on what you want really.
IMG_1343.JPG

Same thing for For HH, you can request what shade of brown you want and they will source it for you if it's available. If you want something heavy they have brown cxl, you can request for a lighter or darker shade of CXL. I have jacket from them made from a dark shade of brown cxl
FullSizeRender.jpg

For midweight HH leather, the Masaye leather (the veg tanned leather from Germany I have on my jacket) can be requested in brown according to JL. They also offer medium brown and seal brown Horween Vermont (vegetable tanned also that feels lighter and softer to touch compared to my jacket. They have a new veg tanned HH leather from Horween they are offering, it's called Horween Milan and that can also be had in brown (it feels stiffer to the touch compared to the jacket I have).

All the best.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Disclaimer: noob doing a review. I don't normally start threads but I want to highlight the work of Johnson Leathers of San Francisco

hey guys, I would like to share my new JL jacket (it's my 3rd with them). JL is local to me and I'm lucky to be within such a short distance from their shop. I've been treated well and it's always a pleasure doing projects with them. They have been offering more and more options regarding to the hides/hardware/lining they offer so I'm sure they will be getting more business from me in the future.

The jacket is made with their new offering of Masaye HH (a 2.75oz midweight vegetable tanned horse hide out of Germany which used olive leaves with the tanning process with JL adding a sheen once the jacket is made). I don't know if it's full aniline or semi aniline but it is dyed through. I did notice what seems to be blue grayish fibers when I inspected the zipper pulls. The leather itself is soft to the touch. I don't have a lot of experience handling different kinds of Leather but with what I have in my closet i would say it's less stiff than a shinki, definitley won't stand on its own like a cxl, in saying that it feels like a heavyweight goat. It is very easy wearing for sure and just the right weight for my local climate. It's a good windbreaker and it does repel water well when I tried splashing water on it probably because of the added sheen which probably means a light coat of paint? The sheen will eventually fade according to JL so that will be interesting to see over time. What I have on my jacket is a mixed smooth/grainy batch but I see a lot more grainy to be honest which I like, hope more grain pops out when the seen wears off.

Hardware is #5 repro talon in brass
Shell made from cotton lining from Japan (dunno what it's called)
Black satin in the sleeves
Leather strip to bottom sweep to protect liner
Small gauntlet looking design to the outer sleeve (@ton312 inpired)
Zipper sleeves on the inside sleeve panel (loved this from my FL CR jacket)
Interior pocket to left chest
Hidden size tag and made in USA tag
Subtle single point western yoke
Collar is 4" at its widest point

This jacket is probably going to be one of my grab and go jacket, it wears easy and just a simple clean looking black jacket that seems easy to dress up/down.
Maybe I should have added a little bit on the back length but maybe it's because I'm not used to wearing such a short jacket and I hate tucking my shirt too lol

Here you go (pretty overcast so sorry for the bad lighting)

View attachment 289287

View attachment 289286

View attachment 289288

View attachment 289289

View attachment 289301

View attachment 289302

View attachment 289300
Noob hits it out of the park!

Coriu

One Too Many
I noticed JL makes great motorcycle jackets (double rider/cafe racer/CHP style single or cross zip), they also have a good looking trucker jacket and a slim fitting half belt. For full custom jackets, JL is the only one I know in the US. For semi custom there is vanson. What leather and style are you looking into?
I like the trucker jacket. I know some folks in Texas with a bison herd and I own many different items made with bison leather(the wool makes amazing gloves, hats and socks). Have become very fond of it. I saw some older posts featuring JL-made bison jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto