Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Lol, nice jacket man! Yeah I was just there on Saturday with my bro to check out my jacket. My bro always wanted a repro of the Dean Winchester from Supernatural car coat, so I surprised him with it at JL. I doubt anyone here would be interested in it, just a thigh length, very loose fitting car coat, but man did JL did a great job, my bro was over the moon. I even had Damon play along with me, saying it was another customer's jacket, and my bro was doing math in his head like man I need this jacket, and then he realized that it was made for him, he flipped.

Alas, like all well concocted plans, tragedy struck and the button machine broke so we weren't able to pick them up that day. Damon and I talked earlier in the day and said to come by anyway, use this opportunity as a "final fitting". They made the jacket to spec, but I had them tapered my sleeves a little on mine after the original spec turned out to be too loose after all. And my Bros jacket they did blindly but they nailed the fit he wanted, super comfortable with tons of space to layer underneath. He's actually asking me everyday if he really need buttons, he wants to take it home now, lol.

I hope you got to take a peak at my lining, lol. I'm so so glad I skived the leather, it's very wearable right now, and with the more looser, comfort fit I speced, I should be able to happily wear it from day one. I see the work ahead of me to get it right, but so far it's looking very promising. It's a very simple jacket at the end of the day, but I have some subtle touches that no one will see that I chose.

Oh I saw your brown jacket as well, man oh man that leather is amazing in person, I can only pray mines comes out half as good as yours after it breaks in. It actually has a nice red tone to it, love it. It really, really made me think in the future a shell cordovan cxl cafe jacket may be necessary, lol.

Man that's so kind of you! I'm sure your brother will enjoy that dream coat of his even more since you surprised him with it. I'm sure he will need buttons so he will just wait a while until they fix the machine lol it will be worth it anyways. I'm getting my sister a deerskin trucker from 5* (she is only visiting for a few weeks and JL won't be able to accommodate a jacket within that time frame)

I did see your lining, it's so playful and vibrant. I liked it a lot and it holds meaning to you so that's very cool. I noticed how light and soft the coat is, it doesn't feel like the heavy cxl anymore which is a great thing especially with the longer length of a coat. Very smart call there my friend. That leather is awesome, it's grainy and rich looking. It's not dull or flat at all, if I knew the overdye can look that good I would have picked it over the brown cxl (maybe)

Thanks man, I got the luck of the draw. JL gave me a very handsome hide and it's really getting better looking with wear. I'm sure you're jacket will turn out great! I can't wait to see how the black overdye fade and show the brown underneath. Hope you get the jacket before the year ends

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Man that's so kind of you! I'm sure your brother will enjoy that dream coat of his even more since you surprised him with it. I'm sure he will need buttons so he will just wait a while until they fix the machine lol it will be worth it anyways. I'm getting my sister a deerskin trucker from 5* (she is only visiting for a few weeks and JL won't be able to accommodate a jacket within that time frame)

I did see your lining, it's so playful and vibrant. I liked it a lot and it holds meaning to you so that's very cool. I noticed how light and soft the coat is, it doesn't feel like the heavy cxl anymore which is a great thing especially with the longer length of a coat. Very smart call there my friend. That leather is awesome, it's grainy and rich looking. It's not dull or flat at all, if I knew the overdye can look that good I would have picked it over the brown cxl (maybe)

Thanks man, I got the luck of the draw. JL gave me a very handsome hide and it's really getting better looking with wear. I'm sure you're jacket will turn out great! I can't wait to see how the black overdye fade and show the brown underneath. Hope you get the jacket before the year ends

Ah man, glad you approve. Yeah I liked it the more and more I looked at it, it just has a special quality to it, in going to do a long and deliberate break in, so may be years before it develops anything with noting, I tend to wear my clothes a long time.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Ah man, glad you approve. Yeah I liked it the more and more I looked at it, it just has a special quality to it, in going to do a long and deliberate break in, so may be years before it develops anything with noting, I tend to wear my clothes a long time.

I did like it a lot, Horween makes some of the best leather for sure. Hmmm not so sure about the not developing too fast part because @ton312 mentioned how his overdye faded rather quickly with just a few wears. So pls take lots and lots of development photos because that will be worth it to be shared

Al this talking about custom leather jackets and alterations is making me jelaous.

It’s nice that you are able to do so in person. Nothing beats that.

I hear you, nothing beats being measured by the pattern maker as people measure differently and to work with someone face to face adds that personal touch.

Coming back into the store to test the fit jacket to try to get the details right and having that ability to take the jacket back for a revision really is comforting as it takes the anxiety and hassle out of the whole return process.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Thanks man! Definitely loving these two JL jackets for sure, trying to break the hell out of these jackets. How is your FL project progressing?

I keep going back to look at both those jackets. The leather and fit is perfect on both. I definitely see a JL in my future.

I think Greg has all the measurements and pics he needs, so I am leaving him be to get on with his work. Hopefully he is still getting to mine mid-January.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thank you @JustinW! My FL CR and these 2 JL jackets are definitely my best fitting jackets so far. My Aero STF BL is getting surgery at JL, they are slimming it down and adding a mouton collar so I'm sure that will be up there with my best fitting jackets soon. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with JL, they are trust worthy and great at what they do.

Alright! We will probably get our jackets at about the same time. Hope it arrives earlier rather than later

Pandemic

One Too Many
I may end-up getting something very similar to your first JL jacket. I really love the sleek profile on that one since you had it altered. Nothing flashy, just a perfectly fitting jacket with the leather and hardware stealing the show. Hopefully I will find myself in SF at some point next year ...

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I may end-up getting something very similar to your first JL jacket. I really love the sleek profile on that one since you had it altered. Nothing flashy, just a perfectly fitting jacket with the leather and hardware stealing the show. Hopefully I will find myself in SF at some point next year ...

The brown cxl is really pretty in real life or pictures but I feel the construction of the jacket elevated it some more, i hear you nothing beats a slim fitting jacket that fits to a tee. Yes, the sleek/minimalist look definitely takes the cake and for sure it will age better too because of a classic cut/look and will never be out of style. Hopefully, it will be better by then. . . Stay at home orders again but people are really not complying

Pandemic

One Too Many
The brown cxl is really pretty in real life or pictures but I feel the construction of the jacket elevated it some more, i hear you nothing beats a slim fitting jacket that fits to a tee. Yes, the sleek/minimalist look definitely takes the cake and for sure it will age better too because of a classic cut/look and will never be out of style. Hopefully, it will be better by then. . . Stay at home orders again but people are really not complying

The style/fit really work well with cxl. I may replace my current burgundy CXL with one by JL. I'm due for my first vaccine dose this week, but probably won't have time to travel until the summer. I do really like the idea of getting measured and fitted in person at JL.

Psant25

One Too Many
@Jin431 i wanted to mention if you do shorten that brown cxl jaclet I would instead of making the band smaller just removing the bottom band and having the bottom nice and clean like your black one. They can do that and put on a new zipper stop pretty cheap. I think if the band was smaller it may not look right. See pic of one of my custom JLs. And if you kept the band width, but just shortened the body and “move up” the band it would sit too close to the lower front pockets. Just something to think about. Looks great as it. But the shorter black one to me is perfect
0DA5BD71-10E8-4962-9922-D92087F69A4E.jpeg

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks again Jin for being great eyes and ears. lol. I am hoping for a vest and maybe some leather overpants for riding. I don't think I will go super heavy on either of those. Probably around 3-3.25oz. Only problem is, all the leathers you describe sound great. It is hard to tell from a little clipping. You have a big advantage of being able to see/touch jackets and full hides. Must be awesome to walk in that store.

I can't wait to see this overdye. Some say it is dull/flat, others say it is amazing. Some say it wears quickly and others say it is resilient. I really think it is hard to get a bad Horween hide.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
The style/fit really work well with cxl. I may replace my current burgundy CXL with one by JL. I'm due for my first vaccine dose this week, but probably won't have time to travel until the summer. I do really like the idea of getting measured and fitted in person at JL.

Yes, a CXL jacket is a must. I myself have started loving the brown/cordovan CXL that a lot of members here wear. There's something about those colors that is special, and if you get one of those really exceptional hides too then that's going to make it even better. I just got vaccinated today so here's to hoping more and more people get the vaccine in the country soon. Yes, it's a great idea to do that and bring some layering clothes too so it's easier to get the right measurements for the initial fit to what and how you want to wear the jacket. I think you'll love visiting the store and touch all the hides

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@Jin431 i wanted to mention if you do shorten that brown cxl jaclet I would instead of making the band smaller just removing the bottom band and having the bottom nice and clean like your black one. They can do that and put on a new zipper stop pretty cheap. I think if the band was smaller it may not look right. See pic of one of my custom JLs. And if you kept the band width, but just shortened the body and “move up” the band it would sit too close to the lower front pockets. Just something to think about. Looks great as it. But the shorter black one to me is perfect
View attachment 293957

Got it and that's exactly what Damon recommended to do if I ever wanted to shorten the jacket. I will not mess with the length now, I want to live with the length and the two way zipper for now to see if it will grow on me. I do know that I don't want a #10 size zipper for any of my future jacket, if there is an #7 or 8 then I would go for that. Thanks, I feel I figured out what my perfect length is now as the brown cxl is 23.25" and the black jacket is 22", so next time I feel a 22.5" length will do be interesting and might look even better

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Time to put a trademark on that one. PERFECT!

Thanks @ton312 im just trying to get my CXL on. I'm getting lucky with this game now.

Thanks again Jin for being great eyes and ears. lol. I am hoping for a vest and maybe some leather overpants for riding. I don't think I will go super heavy on either of those. Probably around 3-3.25oz. Only problem is, all the leathers you describe sound great. It is hard to tell from a little clipping. You have a big advantage of being able to see/touch jackets and full hides. Must be awesome to walk in that store.

I can't wait to see this overdye. Some say it is dull/flat, others say it is amazing. Some say it wears quickly and others say it is resilient. I really think it is hard to get a bad Horween hide.

Wow that's a lot of future projects to look out for! I don't know anything about motorcycle gear but I know JL makes a bunch of them and man do they mean business. I would imagine that a heavy leather pants will be to say ""sweaty" lol a vest is cool to have for sure @Mrfrown has that brown cxl JL vest that looks super cool.

That little clipping definitely can't compare with the hide, I do know that each time I visit is I always gravitate to it and always ask or want to see/touch that specific hide so that must mean I really like it lol

Hmm most likely it varies batch to batch cause they have the dull flat smooth cross zip on display and the coat of @TheDonEffect jacket is shiny rich and grainy. I'm eager to see what they will give you

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
FWIW and much to my own surprise, I love that big chunky zipper. It’s a good complement to the CXL hide.

I mean I get it, it really is suited to the heavier hides and I don't fear the zipper or the pull giving out even when I'm not careful with it. I would probably appreciate it more if it was a single zip, as the two pulls jangles all the time when I wear it unzipped.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Yeah mines definitely looks different from alot of the other examples they got. Mine definitely has a shine to it and has a... oily feel to it? Vs. a matte finish.

And they make a ton of bike gear, I think alot of their bread and butter is making and repairing bike jackets, they even stock Forcefield armor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner