Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yeah mines definitely looks different from alot of the other examples they got. Mine definitely has a shine to it and has a... oily feel to it? Vs. a matte finish.

And they make a ton of bike gear, I think alot of their bread and butter is making and repairing bike jackets, they even stock Forcefield armor.

Yes, I forgot to mention how there's that wet oily look to the surface. It's just pretty damn nice is what it is. The finish has a big difference to the jacket on display and damons personal jacket he showed me compared to what you are getting. You lucky guy you.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Yes, I forgot to mention how there's that wet oily look to the surface. It's just pretty damn nice is what it is. The finish has a big difference to the jacket on display and damons personal jacket he showed me compared to what you are getting. You lucky guy you.

Lol, I dunno, that brown cxl of yours looks like cordovan.

I was taken aback by it at first, I was expecting the matte finish, but it instantly grew on me, reminded me of the way shinki looks. And the smell, uggghhh.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Btw, I totally left it up to JL to choose my hide, lol. I think it got somewhat broken in as well having to be skived, then had the jacket made, he walked me through the steps of it all since it created allot of crinkling so I think it accelerated the character showing.

So weird, I just kept wanting to touch it, lol. It's just so interesting, didn't feel like any jacket is see in a department store you know.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again Jin for being great eyes and ears. lol. I am hoping for a vest and maybe some leather overpants for riding. I don't think I will go super heavy on either of those. Probably around 3-3.25oz. Only problem is, all the leathers you describe sound great. It is hard to tell from a little clipping. You have a big advantage of being able to see/touch jackets and full hides. Must be awesome to walk in that store.

I can't wait to see this overdye. Some say it is dull/flat, others say it is amazing. Some say it wears quickly and others say it is resilient. I really think it is hard to get a bad Horween hide.

Found a pic of my old one I sold. Favorite leather, personally. You’ll love yours.
6F97903E-6767-4CF1-AC6A-D288BC413880.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Lol, I dunno, that brown cxl of yours looks like cordovan.

I was taken aback by it at first, I was expecting the matte finish, but it instantly grew on me, reminded me of the way shinki looks. And the smell, uggghhh.

Btw, I totally left it up to JL to choose my hide, lol. I think it got somewhat broken in as well having to be skived, then had the jacket made, he walked me through the steps of it all since it created allot of crinkling so I think it accelerated the character showing.

So weird, I just kept wanting to touch it, lol. It's just so interesting, didn't feel like any jacket is see in a department store you know.

@TheDonEffect yes, it reminds of cordovan jackets we see posted here too. I mean it's a good thing lol I do have an aero tumbled cordovan on order so that will be so interesting to compare the two when I finally receive the jacket

Maybe Horween gives JL some of the best hides? I know cxl is all the same but doesn't Aero/Viberg get the best hides, maybe JL is in that same boat too. I didn't smell your jacket, just to be respectful lol I get it though that cxl does smell good. That's a good way to have someone break in the jacket even before wearing it heavily! Hope you get to wear it soon

Psant25

One Too Many
Thanks @El Marro. Can't wait to see it in person. I hope I can handle the break in. Lol. @ton312's jacket looks like a complete tank. I was able to handle Vansons old competition weight, but I was about 15 years younger. lol.
My new brown cxl jacket I gave it a little water bath and that helps a lot. Or just a good rain shower, but takes a lot to penetrate that cxl. It is better when water hits the non treated side. I thought about wearing a damp sweatshirt around for a bit with the jacket on but I have no patience so I dunked it as I usually do. Just a quick submersion and pat dry, wear it around, hang it. Dries totally in about 2-3 days. Then subsequent wears it looses up. A few of my cxl jackets i think one thing that helped a lot was leaving the jacket in a warm car during the summer out of the sun. It does something to the leather softens it up makes it more wearable. I think if you ride it wont take long.

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks Brad. I actually did this with my last 618HH. It was so unmanageable, I dunked it in the stationary tub for about an hour. I then rang out the 50 pound jacket and put it in the drier on "air fluff". Seemed to help alot. I know what you mean, sometimes a spray bottle just doesn't cut it. lol. The water just rolled right off. I think you have to attack the belly of the beast.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Man, that's some wealth of knowledge about how to quicken the pace of the break in process. I will try to walk in the rain (hopefully it will rain soon here) and when summer comes I'll bake my jacket inside the car.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man, that's some wealth of knowledge about how to quicken the pace of the break in process. I will try to walk in the rain (hopefully it will rain soon here) and when summer comes I'll bake my jacket inside the car.
You’re in luck Jin, it’s supposed to start raining here on Christmas afternoon.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
You’re in luck Jin, it’s supposed to start raining here on Christmas afternoon.

Thanks man! That's coming quicker than I would have liked to, so I might just hang it out to get rained on for some time. The covid vaccine is making me feel aches and pains with some fatigue tsk tsk

Haha yeah it's out there, but it is beautiful. Very cool.

Thanks man. My most playful lining for any of my jackets, it's nice to be a little different sometimes.

roadking04

Practically Family
so I might just hang it out to get rained on for some time. The covid vaccine is making me feel aches and pains with some fatigue tsk tsk

I actually did this also. I put my jacket on the driveway during a heavy rain while I waited in a dry house. I went out one time to flip it. lol. It worked pretty well. I was able to shake it off and wear it the rest of the day in the house. The lining only got wet around the edges.

Hope you start feeling better soon. I don't think the symptoms last very long.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I actually did this also. I put my jacket on the driveway during a heavy rain while I waited in a dry house. I went out one time to flip it. lol. It worked pretty well. I was able to shake it off and wear it the rest of the day in the house. The lining only got wet around the edges.

Hope you start feeling better soon. I don't think the symptoms last very long.

Any word on the JL perfecto?

That's great to hear, I'll do the same trick for the next time it rains! Then you just leave it out to dry and wear occasionally to help mold the jacket to frame? Got it!

Thanks, man. It's not lingering that much as I feel better today but I still feel not my usual self.

roadking04

Practically Family
Any word on the JL perfecto?

I haven't heard anything since the beginning of last week.

I did it in the morning and wore the damp jacket in the house the rest of the day. It was a Schott 618. Most of the water didn't penetrate the top coat. The lining was dry for the most part. I had the jacket zipped up.

Hopefully you will be back to full strength tomorrow.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I haven't heard anything since the beginning of last week.

I did it in the morning and wore the damp jacket in the house the rest of the day. It was a Schott 618. Most of the water didn't penetrate the top coat. The lining was dry for the most part. I had the jacket zipped up.

Hopefully you will be back to full strength tomorrow.

Got it, still waiting. That's the most nerve wracking part

I'll try that. I did the same before with my aero in black cxl but I did push ups and that made the elbows baggier so I won't do that again lol

Yep, should be fine by now as I was able to work out but still get tired rather easily. Lots of people at work also had bad headaches like me after the vaccine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24