Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Goel

A-List Customer
JL has a naked/aniline bison that is soft but has no water resistance as well as Horween CXL bison but it's quite heavy. They've also got a waxed/vegetable tanned pull up bison that is heavy but it has a lot of color options and can be skivved. It's the same as this one https://www.hidehouse.com/Leather/Navajo-Bison-Bison-Full-Grain-Aniline-Finish-BN22-P.asp

I am considering a modified Type 2 in either grey or cordovan. But that will be after my current project.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Noob hits it out of the park!

Thank you kindly@jonesy86! All thanks to JL

I like the trucker jacket. I know some folks in Texas with a bison herd and I own many different items made with bison leather(the wool makes amazing gloves, hats and socks). Have become very fond of it. I saw some older posts featuring JL-made bison jackets.

Yes, I think I know which jacket you are talking about. They have a 2 tone trucker on display at their store, it's cognac/dark brown if I'm not mistaken. Hoping to see more bison jackets around here. Didn't know they made wool products out of the bison too, thats very interesting. Lovely pick for a hide, looks nice how textured the grain is, @tmitchell59 has a lost worlds trucker that looks really nice.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
JL has a naked/aniline bison that is soft but has no water resistance as well as Horween CXL bison but it's quite heavy. They've also got a waxed/vegetable tanned pull up bison that is heavy but it has a lot of color options and can be skivved. It's the same as this one https://www.hidehouse.com/Leather/Navajo-Bison-Bison-Full-Grain-Aniline-Finish-BN22-P.asp

I am considering a modified Type 2 in either grey or cordovan. But that will be after my current project.

WOw, did not know JL offered so many different bison options. That's so cool; especially the bison cxl (a jacket from that will be monstrously heavy as some people like it).

A type 2 custom from JL would definitely be so cool to see. Hope to see that later on if you proceed with the project. Can you remind us what is your current project and when do you think it will be completed?

Coriu

One Too Many
Thank you kindly@jonesy86! All thanks to JL

Yes, I think I know which jacket you are talking about. They have a 2 tone trucker on display at their store, it's cognac/dark brown if I'm not mistaken. Hoping to see more bison jackets around here. Didn't know they made wool products out of the bison too, thats very interesting. Lovely pick for a hide, looks nice how textured the grain is, @tmitchell59 has a lost worlds trucker that looks really nice.

Imagine the right jacket with these...handmade with bison leather in USA.

22931.jpg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Imagine the right jacket with these...handmade with bison leather in USA.

22931.jpg

Oh boy I tell you that some Cracking boots! Want grain? Say no more! Is that your own personal footwear!? I'm thinking something button up jacket/coat! That will be a bold look for sure

Coriu

One Too Many
Oh boy I tell you that some Cracking boots! Want grain? Say no more! Is that your own personal footwear!? I'm thinking something button up jacket/coat! That will be a bold look for sure
I own numerous styles of shoes/boots in bison leather. The variety of the grain is incredible. One can go subtle, ie a black, shrunken grain, or emphasize the grain and go bold. I have a pair of kangaroo chukka boots and the grain is very distinctive. Does anyone on here use kangaroo leather for jackets?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I own numerous styles of shoes/boots in bison leather. The variety of the grain is incredible. One can go subtle, ie a black, shrunken grain, or emphasize the grain and go bold. I have a pair of kangaroo chukka boots and the grain is very distinctive. Does anyone on here use kangaroo leather for jackets?

No kidding about the grain. I have been noticing the shrunken grain boots recently and that's something I want to get at some point as well.

I read kangaroo is thin but nigh on indestructible so it's good for riding jackets. there's a few thread here about kangaroo jackets. It might be one of those hides that most makers don't use often probably because of availability/quality/consistency/size of the hide.

I believe a law has recently been passed here in CA banning kangaroo leather from being sold in the state so JL won't be able to make one.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leathers-kangaroo-cafe-racer-jacket.81145/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-kangaroo-board-racer-via-thurston-bros.83100/

Goel

A-List Customer
WOw, did not know JL offered so many different bison options. That's so cool; especially the bison cxl (a jacket from that will be monstrously heavy as some people like it).

A type 2 custom from JL would definitely be so cool to see. Hope to see that later on if you proceed with the project. Can you remind us what is your current project and when do you think it will be completed?

I'm sourcing Finnish Elk leather for a shearling lined flight jacket inspired by the M421A. I believe it's the same stuff Lost Worlds used but brown. It's very heavy (4.5oz) but Moose is very soft and wearable even at heavy weights, Alan said if it was any other leather he would recommend against it with the shearling. I'm still waiting on leather samples from the retailer and since they're across the pond it will take a while, I'm also debating whether I want to have the liner sewn in or do a removable shearling vest like Thedi does on some of their jackets.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sourcing Finnish Elk leather for a shearling lined flight jacket inspired by the M421A. I believe it's the same stuff Lost Worlds used but brown. It's very heavy (4.5oz) but Moose is very soft and wearable even at heavy weights, Alan said if it was any other leather he would recommend against it with the shearling. I'm still waiting on leather samples from the retailer and since they're across the pond it will take a while, I'm also debating whether I want to have the liner sewn in or do a removable shearling vest like Thedi does on some of their jackets.

Are you getting it directly from Finland? What surface did you order for a jacket?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

That project is so involving, can't wait to see the finished product. Also I love to see the moose jacket, and hear your thoughts about it.

The idea with the removable vest liner is smart, so you can wear the jacket for longer even when it's not that cold. Plus you can just wear the vest so more options for you.

Pls keep us updated with your project

Goel

A-List Customer
Are you getting it directly from Finland? What surface did you order for a jacket?

The tannery is Kokkolan (I think) but they have a minimum order of five hides. I'm getting them from lederversand.

That project is so involving, can't wait to see the finished product. Also I love to see the moose jacket, and hear your thoughts about it.

The idea with the removable vest liner is smart, so you can wear the jacket for longer even when it's not that cold. Plus you can just wear the vest so more options for you.

Pls keep us updated with your project

The problem I have with a removable vest is what to line the sleeves in. Something too warm and it will feel hot when the vest is out, something not warm enough and my arms will be cold. Perhaps the internal knit cuff will help with the latter.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
The tannery is Kokkolan (I think) but they have a minimum order of five hides. I'm getting them from lederversand.

The problem I have with a removable vest is what to line the sleeves in. Something too warm and it will feel hot when the vest is out, something not warm enough and my arms will be cold. Perhaps the internal knit cuff will help with the latter.

Hmmm that is a good point. JL offers a quilted liner that you can also use for the sleeves or maybe 2 layer sleeve liner (i.e. Wool covered with cotton drill or satin).

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I actually have samples from that tannery on the way, I will compare it with the Trojan I have :)

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I can't believe you made an awesome jacket even better. Stunning. That brown is off the charts, your jacket is really starting to break in nicely. Hope to see more of it.

Thank you! I think Damon at JL knows how to make my jackets like how i want it now so I'm sure any further projects from now on will have the same perfect fit so I'm so stoked! Yes, this cxl started out beautifully but I say it's only starting to look better and better plus how they cut the patterns make it so easy to wear.

Btw I tried to take a peek at your jacket but I got side tracked like usual lol

roadking04

Practically Family
Btw I tried to take a peek at your jacket but I got side tracked like usual lol

Thanks for trying my friend. lol. You have been a great help describing all the leathers and projects in the Bay Area. I am going to keep an eye out for updates of your German leather. I will be looking for a riding vest in the spring/summer. You are our eyes on the street.

Last edited:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for trying my friend. lol. You have been a great help describing all the leathers and projects in the Bay Area. I am going to keep an eye out for updates of your German leather. I will be looking for a riding vest in the spring/summer. You are our eyes on the street.

Maaaan! So I was asking about your perfecto right, then I noticed a black jacket facing backwards and hmmm could this be it. . . I thought that was it but it turned out to be @TheDonEffect overdye car coat then my conversation with Damon went all over the place lol

you bet, I'm happy to be a look out! I can do as much to help members out and put JL' s name more out here so more members maybe try to do something with them.
Also I'll make sure to wear the German HH a lot to show how it will evolve. They will stock thick deerskin about 3-3.5 oz soon (Damon has a jacket out of the natural version of it and it's soft as hell but still heavy, it's starting to tan in some areas but he will hand oil it soon)

I requested a sample of the Horween Vermont they are saving, it looks and feels different than the other Vermont I've handled at the shop. The color is dark brown (almost black) with reddish tones under sunlight, it's not dyed all the way through. As far as I can tell the hides are grainy, a little sheen to it, has pull up effect, smells a little sweet a bit like shinki (not the new shinki), water slides off it well, it's tough in that it doesn't take abrasions easilly. This might be my next project leather. . .

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Lol, nice jacket man! Yeah I was just there on Saturday with my bro to check out my jacket. My bro always wanted a repro of the Dean Winchester from Supernatural car coat, so I surprised him with it at JL. I doubt anyone here would be interested in it, just a thigh length, very loose fitting car coat, but man did JL did a great job, my bro was over the moon. I even had Damon play along with me, saying it was another customer's jacket, and my bro was doing math in his head like man I need this jacket, and then he realized that it was made for him, he flipped.

Alas, like all well concocted plans, tragedy struck and the button machine broke so we weren't able to pick them up that day. Damon and I talked earlier in the day and said to come by anyway, use this opportunity as a "final fitting". They made the jacket to spec, but I had them tapered my sleeves a little on mine after the original spec turned out to be too loose after all. And my Bros jacket they did blindly but they nailed the fit he wanted, super comfortable with tons of space to layer underneath. He's actually asking me everyday if he really need buttons, he wants to take it home now, lol.

I hope you got to take a peak at my lining, lol. I'm so so glad I skived the leather, it's very wearable right now, and with the more looser, comfort fit I speced, I should be able to happily wear it from day one. I see the work ahead of me to get it right, but so far it's looking very promising. It's a very simple jacket at the end of the day, but I have some subtle touches that no one will see that I chose.

Oh I saw your brown jacket as well, man oh man that leather is amazing in person, I can only pray mines comes out half as good as yours after it breaks in. It actually has a nice red tone to it, love it. It really, really made me think in the future a shell cordovan cxl cafe jacket may be necessary, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider