Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Disclaimer: noob doing a review. I don't normally start threads but I want to highlight the work of Johnson Leathers of San Francisco

hey guys, I would like to share my new JL jacket (it's my 3rd with them). JL is local to me and I'm lucky to be within such a short distance from their shop. I've been treated well and it's always a pleasure doing projects with them. They have been offering more and more options regarding to the hides/hardware/lining they offer so I'm sure they will be getting more business from me in the future.

The jacket is made with their new offering of Masaye HH (a 2.75oz midweight vegetable tanned horse hide out of Germany which used olive leaves with the tanning process with JL adding a sheen once the jacket is made). I don't know if it's full aniline or semi aniline but it is dyed through. I did notice what seems to be blue grayish fibers when I inspected the zipper pulls. The leather itself is soft to the touch. I don't have a lot of experience handling different kinds of Leather but with what I have in my closet i would say it's less stiff than a shinki, definitley won't stand on its own like a cxl, in saying that it feels like a heavyweight goat. It is very easy wearing for sure and just the right weight for my local climate. It's a good windbreaker and it does repel water well when I tried splashing water on it probably because of the added sheen which probably means a light coat of paint? The sheen will eventually fade according to JL so that will be interesting to see over time. What I have on my jacket is a mixed smooth/grainy batch but I see a lot more grainy to be honest which I like, hope more grain pops out when the seen wears off.

Hardware is #5 repro talon in brass
Shell made from cotton lining from Japan (dunno what it's called)
Black satin in the sleeves
Leather strip to bottom sweep to protect liner
Small gauntlet looking design to the outer sleeve (@ton312 inpired)
Zipper sleeves on the inside sleeve panel (loved this from my FL CR jacket)
Interior pocket to left chest
Hidden size tag and made in USA tag
Subtle single point western yoke
Collar is 4" at its widest point

This jacket is probably going to be one of my grab and go jacket, it wears easy and just a simple clean looking black jacket that seems easy to dress up/down.
Maybe I should have added a little bit on the back length but maybe it's because I'm not used to wearing such a short jacket and I hate tucking my shirt too lol

Here you go (pretty overcast so sorry for the bad lighting)

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Very, very nice! Love this leather! Leather from Germany is so underrated and it's consistently crazy beautiful!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@Seb Lucas Thanks man. Not really as I just wanted a clean black jacket but now that you mention it I do see a little bit of it without the curved side panels.

@Monitor thanks man. I haven't seen/read Leathers tanned from Germany much here on the lounge too but the skin they used on this one is really nice. What makers normally makes use of Leathers coming out of that country?

Last edited:
That jacket is absolutely spot on PERFECT!!! I love everything about it. The design, the fit...actually reminds me of the incoming Aero I have (hopefully) arriving in January. Something pretty similar to this. Looks like a perfect everyday’r. Great collar and the liner is beautiful. SUPERB!

@Monitor thanks man. I haven't seen/read Leathers tanned from Germany much here on the lounge too but the skin they used on this one is really nice. What makers normally makes use of Leathers coming out of that country?

Not many makers in the US, I'm afraid - I know Bates used to work in it, though - but Germany has been responsible for providing much of Europe with highest quality leather outerwear for a very long time and mostly every Germany tanned leather that I've handled had consistently been of tremendous quality and beauty. Very much like the leather your jacket is made from.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
@Seb Lucas Thanks man. Not really as I just wanted a clean black jacket but now that you mention it I do see a little bit of it without the curved side panels.

That collar is great!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Very nice. Congratulations.
And the back length is perfect.

Thank you, I appreciate it greatly. I think I finally figured out my preferred back length too

That jacket is absolutely spot on PERFECT!!! I love everything about it. The design, the fit...actually reminds me of the incoming Aero I have (hopefully) arriving in January. Something pretty similar to this. Looks like a perfect everyday’r. Great collar and the liner is beautiful. SUPERB!

Thanks for your kind words. Definitely a keeper for sure. It's my best fitting jacket yet. I finally figured out my best measurements lol the collar definitely makes the jacket and the liner completes it in my eyes. can't wait to see that midnight blue jacket of yours.

Thank you, I appreciate it greatly. I think I finally figured out my preferred back length too

Thanks for your kind words. Definitely a keeper for sure. It's my best fitting jacket yet. I finally figured out my best measurements lol the collar definitely makes the jacket and the liner completes it in my eyes. can't wait to see that midnight blue jacket of yours.
My jacket will sadly not have a collar even half that cool. I’m hoping it will occupy the same space this one will for you. That easy wearing everyday leather jacket. Surprisingly tough nut to crack. I love yours. Clean and simple but style for miles. Perfect!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Not many makers in the US, I'm afraid - I know Bates used to work in it, though - but Germany has been responsible for providing much of Europe with highest quality leather outerwear for a very long time and mostly every Germany tanned leather that I've handled had consistently been of tremendous quality and beauty. Very much like the leather your jacket is made from.

I'm sure as those lederhosen they make seem like to last forever and gets better as it ages. It's probably expensive to upkeep a tannery like that in a county like Germany too

I really dig that crazy lining! Overall a fantastic jacket. 10/10.

Thanks man. I wasn't sure at first with the lining but it sure works well with this jacket. Thank you

Great fit, IMO longer would be too long.
Enjoy it.
Thank you @Carlos840, if someone knows a good fit then it's you. I will, thanks a lot

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That collar is great!

My fave detail actually. I don't know how to shape it for the best look but I'll experiment on it, Thank you.

My jacket will sadly not have a collar even half that cool. I’m hoping it will occupy the same space this one will for you. That easy wearing everyday leather jacket. Surprisingly tough nut to crack. I love yours. Clean and simple but style for miles. Perfect!
JL is there for your collar needs! Thanks man, it took a lot to get to this fit/look but I'm happy it finally came to me lol what collar did you end up going with your HwM order? I tried to have them attach a speedway collar to my PHWM but it was a no go

Psant25

One Too Many
That is a great jacket man and excellent fit! I would love to try out that leather maybe the next jacket. Nice simple design and easy to wear can’t be beat good call.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I love EVERYTHING about this jacket, digging the lining too. JL should offer it in their regular lineup if they aren't already. Great fit on you as well.
They do offer something similar to this lining regularly but it has lots of red on it which I did not care for so much so they recommended this lining which I think blends better with the JL company logo. Thank you @Will Zach

That is a great jacket man and excellent fit! I would love to try out that leather maybe the next jacket. Nice simple design and easy to wear can’t be beat good call.
Thanks @Psant25! I think going forward my jackets will be likened to this so it's easy to wear and will be appropriate for most occasions. Ill update this thread how it develops too, I think you might need a lighter weight jacket for the hotter months too. . .

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
superb. How do the measurements compare to your Field Leathers? This one looks perfect. Curious though how much things were off between the two.

Funny you ask about the measurements. It's still not what you would expect in the waist for a guy my size but I don't know why this jacket fits better.

JL: shoulder 17.5", chest 19.75, waist 18.5", bottom sweep 18"
FL: shoulder 17", chest 19.5", waist 17.75", bottom sweep 18.5"

Maybe it's how they cut the pattern, I do notice that the JL jacket has a higher arm hole so that's my only guess. I don't know if having a 2 panel sleeve compared to a 3 panel sleeve will make a difference too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ