Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Pandemic

One Too Many
Wow, now that's interesting! So eager to see what you come up with and which leather you went with.Thats some very detailed discussions coming along, hope you guys straighten it out soon.

Glad to know someone from abroad put them in high regard.

Yes! Alright advanced birthday well wishes to you brother @JustinW! Hope you get to wear your JL southpaw jacket when you celebrate it.

Cheers!

It’s a race to see which gets here in time: FL versus JL!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@JustinW I think you will win either way and might even receive both before that day. . . Fingers crossed! The FL cross zip is definitely more intriguing to me since I already have the JL lol

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Breaking in the black Masaye HH jacket again today, first photos of me with the reshaped collar.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

Side note, I do notice some dimpling on the back corner of the shoulder seam. It's probably from pulling my arms forward when driving or similar motions. Does that happen because the shoulders are too tight?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I'll keep that in mind. I know about brace star because if the denim truckers they make. I do have tellason here in the Bay Area to keep it local. I have 2 selvedge denim jackets from them so I might give them a shot too.

Iron Hearts are something a lot of members here like so they are at the top of my list. I'm not sure if I'm ready to fork out that kind of money for jeans yet lol for boots and jackets I wouldn't even think about it

Goel

A-List Customer
I hear you, I also have a tumbled burgundy jacket on the way so Im also keen on the color depth and its versatility. Ive only had the full veg tan jacket for a few months so I don't know as well but I'm hoping for the best

Horween Milan HH in Black. Maybe ask if the Milan comes in Burgundy?

View attachment 296260

View attachment 296261

Which veg tan did you have? The Masaye? I tried a sample of that but it had no finish so it soaks up water like a sponge, I preferred the Vermont sample as it had some water resistance due to the waxy finish. If I had to guess the Milan probably has some kind of finish as well which is probably why it's stiffer. It sounds like it might be the best choice as I prefer the matte texture over the look of the Vermont.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I'll keep that in mind. I know about brace star because if the denim truckers they make. I do have tellason here in the Bay Area to keep it local. I have 2 selvedge denim jackets from them so I might give them a shot too.

Iron Hearts are something a lot of members here like so they are at the top of my list. I'm not sure if I'm ready to fork out that kind of money for jeans yet lol for boots and jackets I wouldn't even think about it

Tellason do great stuff, but for jeans I think Gustin is a better option (made in the same factory but selling for a lot less due to the crowd funding model). They are also local to you, but don’t have a storefront.

Which veg tan did you have? The Masaye? I tried a sample of that but it had no finish so it soaks up water like a sponge, I preferred the Vermont sample as it had some water resistance due to the waxy finish. If I had to guess the Milan probably has some kind of finish as well which is probably why it's stiffer. It sounds like it might be the best choice as I prefer the matte texture over the look of the Vermont.

Milan is amazing. Though the fit of my SB didn’t work out and I returned it, the leather really blew me away.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Tellason do great stuff, but for jeans I think Gustin is a better option (made in the same factory but selling for a lot less due to the crowd funding model). They are also local to you, but don’t have a storefront.

Milan is amazing. Though the fit of my SB didn’t work out and I returned it, the leather really blew me away.
I’m also a big fan of 3sixteen. They fit me well and are priced reasonably.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

Yes, this is the Masaye. It has a thin layer of paint added by JL after the jacket is finished so my jacket beads water off quite well but I'm sure when that wears off it will be less water resistant. The Vermont is nice, they have a really dark brown that I'll use for my next project with them. The Milan has a finish from Horween, it does look matte and is hefty but not overbearing like CXL.

Tellason do great stuff, but for jeans I think Gustin is a better option (made in the same factory but selling for a lot less due to the crowd funding model). They are also local to you, but don’t have a store front

Okay, didn't know about Gustin being from here as well. I'll look them up too. How is the sizing? Thank you

I’m also a big fan of 3sixteen. They fit me well and are priced reasonably.

Got it, thank you. I'll check in on their site too. How is their sizing?

Pandemic

One Too Many
Gustin is true to size and provide a good size chart with all measurements. Even though they use the same factory in SF, the cuts are different to Tellason so you can’t assume you’ll be the same in both. I like the straight leg fit for their jeans and chinos. The only thing I’d change is the front rise is a little low compared to the back - something you’d only notice if you were tucking shirts in.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Yes, this is the Masaye. It has a thin layer of paint added by JL after the jacket is finished so my jacket beads water off quite well but I'm sure when that wears off it will be less water resistant. The Vermont is nice, they have a really dark brown that I'll use for my next project with them. The Milan has a finish from Horween, it does look matte and is hefty but not overbearing like CXL.

Okay, didn't know about Gustin being from here as well. I'll look them up too. How is the sizing? Thank you

Got it, thank you. I'll check in on their site too. How is their sizing?
3sixteen uses American vanity sizing whereas many Japanese brands use actual measurements (e.g. a size 34 is 34 inches).

I've cycled through/own Levis Made & Crafted, Levis 501 STF, Iron Heart, Sugar Cane, Gustin, Bravestar, 3sixteen, among others. I've gone down the selvedge v. non-selvedge, sanforized v. unsanforized, slubby v. neppy, and other denim rabbit holes. I'm not into the repo look, so in my opinion, like with everything else, the most important thing is whether the cut of the denim fits the look you want (straight, slim-straight, taper, super-wide vintage, etc.) Since you live in the Bay, I suggest you consider visiting Self Edge or Standard & Strange since they're both standard bearers for denim. Neither one will steer you wrong, and in my experience, the dudes who work there are generally pretty cool and fountains of denim knowledge.

hesalitedome

New in Town
^ Agree. I also live in the Bay Area and have spent a lot of time and money at SE and S&S. These two stores sell jeans from most of the top makers. My advice is to take some time before buying. Learn not only about the stores, manufacturers, and different cuts, but what's best for your body type. In addition, realize that anything bought raw (not washed) will shrink a lot but also stretch back where there's pressure (e.g., waist). PM me if you have specific questions -- I've been down this path for a long time and would spend the money quite differently now than I did initially.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Gustin is true to size and provide a good size chart with all measurements. Even though they use the same factory in SF, the cuts are different to Tellason so you can’t assume you’ll be the same in both. I like the straight leg fit for their jeans and chinos. The only thing I’d change is the front rise is a little low compared to the back - something you’d only notice if you were tucking shirts in.

Got it! Ill take a loot at that and weigh my options. That's quite neat that they share the factory. I don't really tuck my shirt so I'll probably have no problem with that regard.

But that motorcycle patch...….

Go for it. . . Oh wait it's $350, that's serious money for jeans lol

3sixteen uses American vanity sizing whereas many Japanese brands use actual measurements (e.g. a size 34 is 34 inches).

I've cycled through/own Levis Made & Crafted, Levis 501 STF, Iron Heart, Sugar Cane, Gustin, Bravestar, 3sixteen, among others. I've gone down the selvedge v. non-selvedge, sanforized v. unsanforized, slubby v. neppy, and other denim rabbit holes. I'm not into the repo look, so in my opinion, like with everything else, the most important thing is whether the cut of the denim fits the look you want (straight, slim-straight, taper, super-wide vintage, etc.) Since you live in the Bay, I suggest you consider visiting Self Edge or Standard & Strange since they're both standard bearers for denim. Neither one will steer you wrong, and in my experience, the dudes who work there are generally pretty cool and fountains of denim knowledge.

That's why it's so confusing, it's just like jackets huh you gotta go by the actual chart measurement and not by size tag.

That's what I was planning to do, my workplace is just a few blocks away from the standard and strange store. They only accept curb side pick up so that may have to wait. But oh boy, the denim heads sure do have a lot of terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24