Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Fifty150

One Too Many
I'm thinking pizza. Golden Boy. And Burrito Mojado. Papito serves a really tasty version.

I expect that you guys will not try to handle the merchandise on the racks with greasy fingers.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
2mm (5oz) American Goatskin.
Solid copper "Oak Leaf" snaps.

99% complete...

Snaps.JPG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I saw your box the other day when I stopped by. Didn't get to see what was inside, but judging by the size of the box, quite the pandora box you have coming your way. Btw, one of your jackets that they finished up inspired my leather choice on one of my jackets, lol.

I am gonna take a wild guess it was the goatskin. 2mm thick but still very soft.

Costco Panda.

I can’t wait to see the new batch.
Yup, that's me! Always looking for deals. Haha!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Negative, a burgundy one.
You've gotta be kidding me!

That burgundy trucker is horse butt. 2mm CXL horsebutt. I thought you were more Masaye leather guy... But to be fair I did ask JL to thin it where ever they see fit to make it wearable. They are very good at that.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
You've gotta be kidding me!

That burgundy trucker is horse butt. 2mm CXL horsebutt. I thought you were more Masaye leather guy... But to be fair I did ask JL to thin it where ever they see fit to make it wearable. They are very good at that.

So, interesting story. I always had a soft spot for a burgundy jacket, I never really liked brown jackets and the ones I did were more burgundy in tone, hence burgundy. But I noticed I only liked Horween's burgundy for some reason, and I def did not want another CXL HH jacket.

So I was in there to drop off my liner and green light my jackets. As I mentioned before, my second leather choice was pending to see if anything came down the pipeline. So we looked at some options but in the end I told Damon go ahead with the Masaye. And then in passing I saw your jacket and was like damn man I always wanted a burgundy jacket, looks so good, I particularly liked your color variation too, I'm not a uniform is everything sort of guy, sweet jacket man.

But, I already know I didn't want another CXL HH jacket, too stiff, even your jacket was enough for me to say nope.

So Damon goes, well I'm working on this other jacket, and we're trying something a tad different, steerhide CXL, burgundy, and we skived it from 5oz down to about 2oz, so similar to my skived jacket, but steer instead of horse so it's a ton softer, and it just so happens I have the roll right here, lol.

As you know, steer tends to be softer oz for oz, but now it's skived down to 2oz. The texture was flatter and doesn't have the fine lines like HH, so it doesn't quite pop like the beloved CXL HH, but alot of the goodness and more importantly the color is still there. But it was notably softer and appears it should drape far better. Damon approximates it should be just a little bit stiffer than the Masaye in the end, but it should be drape and be wearable day one, and the buttons won't be a problem.

Hook line and sinker, lol. I am skeptical about the softness, but the thing that was gnawing at me was getting another black button up jacket, so going burgundy was the right move here. And frankly my CXL jacket isn't as bad as my words make it out to be, I can def live with it if needed. So I'm stoked.

All thanks to your jacket, lol.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
So, interesting story. I always had a soft spot for a burgundy jacket, I never really liked brown jackets and the ones I did were more burgundy in tone, hence burgundy. But I noticed I only liked Horween's burgundy for some reason, and I def did not want another CXL HH jacket.

So I was in there to drop off my liner and green light my jackets. As I mentioned before, my second leather choice was pending to see if anything came down the pipeline. So we looked at some options but in the end I told Damon go ahead with the Masaye. And then in passing I saw your jacket and was like damn man I always wanted a burgundy jacket, looks so good, I particularly liked your color variation too, I'm not a uniform is everything sort of guy, sweet jacket man.

But, I already know I didn't want another CXL HH jacket, too stiff, even your jacket was enough for me to say nope.

So Damon goes, well I'm working on this other jacket, and we're trying something a tad different, steerhide CXL, burgundy, and we skived it from 5oz down to about 2oz, so similar to my skived jacket, but steer instead of horse so it's a ton softer, and it just so happens I have the roll right here, lol.

As you know, steer tends to be softer oz for oz, but now it's skived down to 2oz. The texture was flatter and doesn't have the fine lines like HH, so it doesn't quite pop like the beloved CXL HH, but alot of the goodness and more importantly the color is still there. But it was notably softer and appears it should drape far better. Damon approximates it should be just a little bit stiffer than the Masaye in the end, but it should be drape and be wearable day one, and the buttons won't be a problem.

Hook line and sinker, lol. I am skeptical about the softness, but the thing that was gnawing at me was getting another black button up jacket, so going burgundy was the right move here. And frankly my CXL jacket isn't as bad as my words make it out to be, I can def live with it if needed. So I'm stoked.

All thanks to your jacket, lol.
Yup Steer is definitely an easier hide than horse. I've never thought about a thinned down one before because all of the CXL steers are so thick 5/6oz plus.. Kudos to JL for trying new things. I think you might just discovered the new frontier. 2.5oz CXL steerhide. Sorry I had to go up 0.5oz. Same beautiful CXL finish but wearable like sheepskin. I was gonna settle for the 3.5oz chrome cowhide in navy for the upcoming trucker jacket. But now I am also switching to skived down CXL. Excellent idea. 2/2.5oz CXL Steer...

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, the other day I was actually wondering why no one here seems to get skived CXL (as in fully skived, not skived edges), given that the two CXL subtopics on the server are the lack of pliability on the one hand, and the depth of color on the other.

Surprised it took until now.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Yup Steer is definitely an easier hide than horse. I've never thought about a thinned down one before because all of the CXL steers are so thick 5/6oz plus.. Kudos to JL for trying new things. I think you might just discovered the new frontier. 2.5oz CXL steerhide. Sorry I had to go up 0.5oz. Same beautiful CXL finish but wearable like sheepskin. I was gonna settle for the 3.5oz chrome cowhide in navy for the upcoming trucker jacket. But now I am also switching to skived down CXL. Excellent idea. 2/2.5oz CXL Steer...

Wish I could take credit but someone ordered a custom cafe racer for whom the leather was ordered for, I just piggy backed. At the 2oz or whatever it still has some thickness to it.

You know, the other day I was actually wondering why no one here seems to get skived CXL (as in fully skived, not skived edges), given that the two CXL subtopics on the server are the lack of pliability on the one hand, and the depth of color on the other.

I have a car coat made with skived black cxl hh from JL. It's still stiff but very wearable and breaks in nicely, but it doesn't drape like say a lambskin or most goat leather do, there will always be a structure to it. This steerhide should.

Another interesting one is a skived and tumbled cxl hh JL has. It loses some of the sheen in the tumbling process but it's nicely worn in and isn't as stiff. I was originally going to go with that for another jacket but then decided to just use a stock steerhide instead for absolute usability and comfort.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I suspect some people did, but we don't know about it?

JL gave me the option to skive the bison for my jacket back then.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Another interesting one is a skived and tumbled cxl hh JL has. It loses some of the sheen in the tumbling process but it's nicely worn in and isn't as stiff.
This is the same with my Aero tumbled CXL. Less sheen than the regular CXL. The tumbling process took some color dye from the leather and it's easier for the brown core to show through, and less "bright". Totally vintage look.
However I do prefer the oily waxy (natural) shiny sheen of the CXL, almost Shell like but with grains. I think the fully skived (not just edges) CXL steer will provide the best of both worlds.

I've got a real stiffie M200 in JL's own CXL overdye. Can't wait to work that jacket.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Right, I meant I hadn't heard of any of us doing it.

I have a car coat made in skived black CXL HH overdye.

This is the same with my Aero tumbled CXL. Less sheen than the regular CXL. The tumbling process took some color dye from the leather and it's easier for the brown core to show through, and less "bright". Totally vintage look.
However I do prefer the oily waxy (natural) shiny sheen of the CXL, almost Shell like but with grains. I think the fully skived (not just edges) CXL steer will provide the best of both worlds.

I've got a real stiffie M200 in JL's own CXL overdye. Can't wait to work that jacket.

Too bad you're not local, they almost always have an m200 or 500 in the showroom in CXL, not sure about the skived one. I considered doing it with my M500, then considered the aforementioned tumbled stuff, but ended up using one of their stock 2oz steerhides. I'm with you, I like the waxy sheen of regular CXL and for me alot of the charm comes from that.

I think JL is offering more skived options given our local climate, never really gets too cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112