Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You have this coming in your upcoming jacket bundle? Or you already have it?

I am really liking my CXL overdye. It is starting to break in and I was able to quiet it down a bit.
Friday... And I will be wearing it for two weeks straight. That's the plan. I was told it's a stiff one.

I will do what you did and use some conditioning to help with the break in and the squeak. Very eager to find out if there is much difference between JL's CXL vs Aero's CXL. Progress pics coming...

roadking04

Practically Family
I thought you already had experience with JL's overdye. I really love the hide. It might take longer than 2 weeks to break in. I am doing the "just wear it" break in method. I have been wearing it everyday. The first 2 months, I wore it for ATLEAST 2 hours everyday. I was very anal about that requirement. Some days I wore it much more than that. The next 2 months the minimum wear time dropped down to 1 hour a day. Then the next 2 months, 1/2 hour a day.

I have about 180-200 hours of wear, mostly indoors, but I wore it whenever I could outside. It has not seen rain yet. I had to put some "watery" conditioner on it because I could not take the squeaking any longer. I will say, it did help soften the leather up A BIT.

I am looking forward to your jackets, and awesome reviews/thoughts.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have a car coat made in skived black CXL HH overdye.

Too bad you're not local, they almost always have an m200 or 500 in the showroom in CXL, not sure about the skived one. I considered doing it with my M500, then considered the aforementioned tumbled stuff, but ended up using one of their stock 2oz steerhides. I'm with you, I like the waxy sheen of regular CXL and for me alot of the charm comes from that.

I think JL is offering more skived options given our local climate, never really gets too cold.
The M200 and M500 are easily some of the top pattern blocks around. But no one knows what they are.

BTW, did your CXL car coat come with buttons or zipper? Does the button hole threads fray? I have Aero 3.5oz CXL HH and the ends are starting to fray; the heavy HH is a bit robust for buttons. But no fraying on Badalassi steerhides. So I am assuming 2.5oz CXL steer would work the same but shinier and no squeak. I can't wait to see your new one in the thinner CXL steer. It opens up a whole category.

IMG_1041.JPG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I thought you already had experience with JL's overdye. I really love the hide. It might take longer than 2 weeks to break in. I am doing the "just wear it" break in method. I have been wearing it everyday. The first 2 months, I wore it for ATLEAST 2 hours everyday. I was very anal about that requirement. Some days I wore it much more than that. The next 2 months the minimum wear time dropped down to 1 hour a day. Then the next 2 months, 1/2 hour a day.

I have about 180-200 hours of wear, mostly indoors, but I wore it whenever I could outside. It has not seen rain yet. I had to put some "watery" conditioner on it because I could not take the squeaking any longer. I will say, it did help soften the leather up A BIT.

I am looking forward to your jackets, and awesome reviews/thoughts.
Haha... Not yet, not yet... I've always gone with Aero for the CXL. This will be my first JL overdye. I suspect they put an extra coating for more waterproofing for their motorcycle jackets. Just a theory, will compare to Aero CXL and know for sure soon.

Your overdye CXL jacket looked good to go. Last pic showed some good creases and looked soft enough That's the fun part, taming the beast!

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
The M200 and M500 are easily some of the top pattern blocks around. But no one knows what they are.

BTW, did your CXL car coat come with buttons or zipper? Does the button hole threads fray? I have Aero 3.5oz CXL HH and the ends are starting to fray; the heavy HH is a bit robust for buttons. But no fraying on Badalassi steerhides. So I am assuming 2.5oz CXL steer would work the same but shinier and no squeak. I can't wait to see your new one in the thinner CXL steer. It opens up a whole category.

View attachment 421554

A little, but it's because I used larger than normal buttons and their machine couldn't make it any bigger so it just made it a really tight fit.

roadking04

Practically Family
Your overdye CXL jacket looked good to go. Last pic showed some good creases and looked soft enough That's the fun part, taming the beast!

I think you will love the JL CXL. I am not sure if it has an extra coating or not, but I think it is heavier/thicker (3.5oz vs 4oz+). I can't wait to hear your expert opinion/comparison. I think the Horween CXL makes an excellent motorcycle leather.

My motorcycle jackets have to perform in upper 30s/lower 40s and be able to get wet. My JL has room for a hoodie and is snug at the neck, wrist, and waist. JL patterns work great for M/C use. My 618 is more snug and will be my warm weather jacket(60s-70s). I can wear the 618 with the lapels and sleeve zips opened and not look like the stapuff marsh mellow man.

I am sure JL/Horween will perform quite well in the PNW. You have the perfect CXL weather up/out there.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think you will love the JL CXL. I am not sure if it has an extra coating or not, but I think it is heavier/thicker (3.5oz vs 4oz+). I can't wait to hear your expert opinion/comparison. I think the Horween CXL makes an excellent motorcycle leather.

My motorcycle jackets have to perform in upper 30s/lower 40s and be able to get wet. My JL has room for a hoodie and is snug at the neck, wrist, and waist. JL patterns work great for M/C use. My 618 is more snug and will be my warm weather jacket(60s-70s). I can wear the 618 with the lapels and sleeve zips opened and not look like the stapuff marsh mellow man.

I am sure JL/Horween will perform quite well in the PNW. You have the perfect CXL weather up/out there.
The box is here!!! Photos are coming…

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Disclaimer: Everything I say here is bias towards Johnson Leathers, so if you read through these upcoming long posts, please take it with a grain of salt. Ask any questions. If you ask I will answer truthfully.

Prequel...

This is how my infatuation with Johnson Leathers began, lurking the M200 posts by Psant, then this thread from Jin sealed the deal and pushed me to order my first M500, and everything changed...

Back to where it supposedly all began, before the M500, there was the M200, here is the size info thread by Psant:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leather-m200.95488/

Here is my stock M200 Black Horween CXL Size 42:
IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

The M200 in 42 fits slimmer than size 40 M500.
IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

I know the numbers says its short. But it fits longer than the number says it does. These are GAP jeans I am wearing that has rise of 12", size 32x32, I am 6' in real life, 2" taller on my dating profile, and the jacket covers everything that needs to be covered.

The Johnson CXL is also the stiffest CXL I've experienced, compared to all my Aero CXL's. They are different. The Aero CXL is waxy and oily, and will soften / collaps if left by the radiator. The Johnson overdye CXL doesn't react to heat. I am suspecting it's the waterproofing coating they put on. Will know more in the coming weeks.

As stiff as this leather is, this pattern makes it wearable. I strongly suggest to try this in person to see the wonders. This jacket measures small, I measure P2P in the 22"s, sleeves are slim, I measure about 7.5" biceps. But it works. I don't know how. If you are planning a custom Johnson and you want a slim fit one, try the CXL M200 in person as your fit jacket.

I have a custom sheepskin one in the same size. If overdye CXL stiffness is 10, the sheepskin is about 4. Both works on this same pattern. That's the amazing part.
IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

However, if I could travel back in time, I would not waste money on sourcing my own thick sheepskin but to use Johnson's own 4.5oz / 5 oz NY tanned aniline goatskin instead. I didn't know they were available until very recently. Ask for samples. I didn't know goat can be so thick and so soft and so robust at the same time.

To be conitnued in next post because photo limits...

Disclaimer: Everything I say here is bias towards Johnson Leathers, so if you read through these upcoming long posts, please take it with a grain of salt. Ask any questions. If you ask I will answer truthfully.

Prequel...

This is how my infatuation with Johnson Leathers began, lurking the M200 posts by Psant, then this thread from Jin sealed the deal and pushed me to order my first M500, and everything changed...

Back to where it supposedly all began, before the M500, there was the M200, here is the size info thread by Psant:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leather-m200.95488/

Here is my stock M200 Black Horween CXL Size 42:
View attachment 421969
View attachment 421970

The M200 in 42 fits slimmer than size 40 M500.
View attachment 421971
View attachment 421972
View attachment 421979

I know the numbers says its short. But it fits longer than the number says it does. These are GAP jeans I am wearing that has rise of 12", size 32x32, I am 6' in real life, 2" taller on my dating profile, and the jacket covers everything that needs to be covered.

The Johnson CXL is also the stiffest CXL I've experienced, compared to all my Aero CXL's. They are different. The Aero CXL is waxy and oily, and will soften / collaps if left by the radiator. The Johnson overdye CXL doesn't react to heat. I am suspecting it's the waterproofing coating they put on. Will know more in the coming weeks.

As stiff as this leather is, this pattern makes it wearable. I strongly suggest to try this in person to see the wonders. This jacket measures small, I measure P2P in the 22"s, sleeves are slim, I measure about 7.5" biceps. But it works. I don't know how. If you are planning a custom Johnson and you want a slim fit one, try the CXL M200 in person as your fit jacket.

I have a custom sheepskin one in the same size. If overdye CXL stiffness is 10, the sheepskin is about 4. Both works on this same pattern. That's the amazing part.
View attachment 421994
View attachment 421995
View attachment 421996

However, if I could travel back in time, I would not waste money on sourcing my own thick sheepskin but to use Johnson's own 4.5oz / 5 oz NY tanned aniline goatskin instead. I didn't know they were available until very recently. Ask for samples. I didn't know goat can be so thick and so soft and so robust at the same time.

To be conitnued in next post because photo limits...
DUDE!!!!! That sheepskin is f'ing KILLER!!!!!!!!! Both great but that sheep is off the charts

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The G O A T

4.5oz brown aniline goatskin, M500 stock size 40, weighs 7 lbs
IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

Drapes like a thick towel. I feel very protected in this flexible armor:
IMG_1738.JPG

Again, when I measured this jacket, it measured shorter, in the 24"s, but it fits like other brands that has longer numbers in the 25"s. The mobility is second to none. Period. All day comfort. I have this pattern in variety different leathers, from 2.5oz up to 6oz, stiff, soft, anywhere in between. All works.

Coming up next, the truckers. Hope I've entertained you for the time being. Until next time...

Mrfrown

One Too Many
The G O A T

4.5oz brown aniline goatskin, M500 stock size 40, weighs 7 lbs
View attachment 422004
View attachment 422006

Drapes like a thick towel. I feel very protected in this flexible armor:
View attachment 422008

Again, when I measured this jacket, it measured shorter, in the 24"s, but it fits like other brands that has longer numbers in the 25"s. The mobility is second to none. Period. All day comfort. I have this pattern in variety different leathers, from 2.5oz up to 6oz, stiff, soft, anywhere in between. All works.

Coming up next, the truckers. Hope I've entertained you for the time being. Until next time...

These are all so good

How long do we wait for the truckers update?!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wow 7lb goatskin??? That's insane. This is a leather JL has on a regular basis?
The trucker in the 5oz goat is even heavier at 8 lbs... but soft like a waxy beach towel.

I didn't know about this until recently. Nothing with JL is ever listed on the website or anything, this is no good for consumer confidence.

I want to say they have more of this stuff because I don't believe they just order leather for two jackets. But I don't know. It doesn't hurt to ask.

The goat is very comparable to the other heavy game hides. The price is very reasonable too. The finishing looks some type of naked waxy aniline so not painted, and hopefully it will patina like the horsehide/cowhide.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Man seeing your posts has me wavering on my plan to get another Thedi

Maybe a stock M200 in goat or (if they have) deerskin

Thinking thinking

Damon141

Practically Family
One thing I’ve learned from looking through this thread is that Johnson Leathers seems to understand a tapered waist.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
More pics of recent wear

The Horween Vermont leather is undeniably beautiful. This jacket fills in and looks a bit better with layers but I do like it with just a shirt. I consider on and off about getting the back and possibly sleeves shortened but am in no hurry.

C607AC72-2E4C-48A3-95C0-982C8B8C239D.jpeg
7934B1D7-8AE5-48B8-AD17-07974A409E08.jpeg
F842EF22-4E0E-4369-A4BC-AF204C48306E.jpeg
C218F4A6-BDD7-4D5B-92A3-99B085DCCF31.jpeg
2F9A586C-2A0F-4C8B-971B-3640254536D7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points