Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Not being in the SF area, how does one even get a Johnson jacket these days? I’ve been “tuning in” for a few years now to their Shopify…
This thread was my go to for intel on JL until I found their Instagram page.

Email and follow up with a call would be the fastest way to get you what you want.

Their sizing is quite modern but they do tag things differently depending on models as well. Their pattern is quite good. If you are looking for a certain size I am sure one member here has one they can share intel on.

There is huge range in prices, floor samples from 500 to one of the kind custom 1600 or more! Exotic leather is expensive. Crowns zips from Japan is expensive. The more custom options the higher the cost.

Although JL makes show pieces sometimes, I find their strength is marrying quality Horween with everyday wearable jacket pattern. The money is in the pattern and go for the Horween leather options, can't go wrong there.

ojaw

A-List Customer
This thread was my go to for intel on JL until I found their Instagram page.

Email and follow up with a call would be the fastest way to get you what you want.

Their sizing is quite modern but they do tag things differently depending on models as well. Their pattern is quite good. If you are looking for a certain size I am sure one member here has one they can share intel on.

There is huge range in prices, floor samples from 500 to one of the kind custom 1600 or more! Exotic leather is expensive. Crowns zips from Japan is expensive. The more custom options the higher the cost.

Although JL makes show pieces sometimes, I find their strength is marrying quality Horween with everyday wearable jacket pattern. The money is in the pattern and go for the Horween leather options, can't go wrong there.
Excellent, thanks!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, that’s the thing; I’ve no idea what models they offer, no sizing tables (though to be honest most makers are shite when it comes to that) and no prices.

This is the big thing. If anything, an old website is reassuring to me (tends to reflect honest pricing and product knowledge over hype, like History Preservation’s website). But with Johnson the only information about what they offer, short of going to SF, is this thread.

ojaw

A-List Customer
This is the big thing. If anything, an old website is reassuring to me (tends to reflect honest pricing and product knowledge over hype, like History Preservation’s website). But with Johnson the only information about what they offer, short of going to SF, is this thread.
Thanks, when it’s time to think about ordering I’ll do a deep dive!

JL’s website has been under construction for like 5 years. If they did half of what Aero does with a stock page, I’d probably have 6 halfbelts in my closet. I love the del-66. If I could go to their site, add to cart…would spell trouble for my wallet. I’m glad they don’t have a functioning web page tbh.

Pandemic

One Too Many
3BB3D08E-B1F9-4A34-A268-F49A388E56D9.jpeg

@Alan@JohnsonLeather

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
It's been raining and cold lately (remember, CA cold, we decadent out here man), so less riders. If I still rode I'd not be riding right now.

I remember I ordered a jacket in June or July and they told me the long wait, and I was like woah I thought I was getting ahead of the crowd, but they're just as busy in the sunny months as the cold months because of all the riding related business they get.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think they're quite busy right now. Same with many other makers. But there is always a short window of opportunity with every maker, just hard to figure out when they're the least busy, and then just slide in for the quick two week turn around time and all the custom options... I take it as a sign to just enjoy our jackets in our closets now too.

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
Does anyone here have experience with their version of the J100?

I’m kicking around the idea of getting something in this style for next winter and the degree of customization and strong patterns with movement range of JL is very appealing, but it’s not a style I’ve seen them do a lot of.

J100 in horween Horsehide by JL.
JL1.jpeg
JL2.jpeg
JL3.jpeg

jszair

New in Town
Very nice. Congrats!

I like the top sleeve zips.
Thanks! After multiple failures in used market, finally took the custom route to specify exactly what I want.. skived cxl in burgundy is just gorgeous.. much more wearable compared to Aero fqhh, but still have that structure rather than sheepskin like soft leather. (More rigid than the Horween Vermont I tried in store as well even though both spec 2.5os)

Only thing is they ran out of ring/chain puller for chest pocket but I can come in to swap when in stock

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! After multiple failures in used market, finally took the custom route to specify exactly what I want.. skived cxl in burgundy is just gorgeous.. much more wearable compared to Aero fqhh, but still have that structure rather than sheepskin like soft leather. (More rigid than the Horween Vermont I tried in store as well even though both spec 2.5os)

Only thing is they ran out of ring/chain puller for chest pocket but I can come in to swap when in stock
Looks great. I also like 2.5oz CXL. Still feel strong but very wearable at the same time.

Great that you can just pop in their shop. #8 (burgundy) is really nice brown from Horween.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko