Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt buys pristine 1940's Home

God yes, it would be a crime to ruin it - how many of those type of historical happenstances can be left. There are too many great things to mention, so I'll only mention two - the built-in wardrobe in the bedroom and the kitchen:eusa_clap

Yeah, I could see living there. Designed by a "brand name" architect, and a well-preserved example. Real nice crib, but I imagine a person could drive right past it and pay it no nevermind. And that, I think, is all to the better.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
3.25 million! It has been updated more recently then they state. No one put in that many wall outlets back in the 40s. It also has a nice three car garage, probably not original. Still, it was a very sympathetic remodel!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That's definitely a cool vintage home, but the kitchen is not original to the 1940s. That said, kitchen was clearly remodeled in "antiquity" (i.e., the 1950s) and is still awesome! My guess is the previous owner, who according to the article purchased the house in 1957, redid the kitchen then. Also, as Stearman pointed out, the electrical has been updated recently too (note the track lights in the living room), which is not necessarily a bad thing....those old tube fuse boxes don't handle modern electronics very well.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That kitchen arrangement is definitely late fifties or early sixties. Stainless steel and monel metal sinks did exist prewar, especially in newer/more expensive homes, but that range-hood setup screams Space Age.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
You can't get anything vintage past this group.

And BTW, things do wear out. Sooner or later you have to replace home items and I can only imagine trying to get 1940 styles in the late 50s or early 60s -- even if a person wanted them. New old stock maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner