Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Josh Bernstein's hat from "Digging For The Truth"

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Bump..

My long awaited DFT hat by Jimmy Pierce showed up today. It had been so long since I ordered it I had forgotten all about it.lol Nice surprise to come home to!
Pics to follow...

MattJH

One Too Many
Scary Mc said:
Bump..

My long awaited DFT hat by Jimmy Pierce showed up today. It had been so long since I ordered it I had forgotten all about it.lol Nice surprise to come home to!
Pics to follow...

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
This hat looks alot like Bernstein's, would you consider this a cowboy hat?
Regards,
Forrestal
JohnWayneHondo.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'd say it looks a lot like the hats the cowboys out in Elko, Nevada wear. Fairly flat wide brim, with either a flatened crown or a pinch front similar to Josh's hat. Tom Hirt makes hats similar to that one that is called the Elko or the Californio. The so called cowboy hat of today with its "Cattlemans" crease got started for cowboys around the early 1920's and took real hold in the 1940's. It was basically an early cavalry hat that was probably worn by the soldiers after their service and then as a cow puncher. Up to then it was the "Boss of the Planes" without a bunch of style. A Pinch Front crown was fairly prevelant in the west and can be seen in many photographs of real working cowboys of the late 1800's and early 1900's. They would have fallen out of their saddle laughing at todays cowboy hats with it's "Cattlemans Crease" because it would seem to large and theatrical, sort of like a Tom Mix hat or a Buffalo Bill Hat. Something a "Dude" would have worn. And yes, even in Texas, the norm wasn't the big "10 gallon hat" It was whatever the working cowboy could afford, be it a bowler or a Boss of the planes, but the big hats were purly show hats at the time. So where Josh comes from it could still be considered a cowboy hat and not related to an Aussie Outback hat at all.
But hey, that's just my two cents. What do I know, I'm just the 800lb gorilla in the room.;) lol
Y'all have fun with this. Lets see if we can drum up some old photos of working cowboys with a similar hat to Josh. What sa ye?:D

Cheers!

Dan

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'd be interested in seeing the pictures.
i wish Scary Mc had posted pics. I know the show was contrived, but I love to travel, so my wife and I own the first two seasons of DFT and we really enjoy them. I look forward to my travel hats showing the miles that his does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24