Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jurassic Park: Alan Grant Fedora

1911 Man

A-List Customer
The Fedora in JPIII is not too bad, but I didn't realize his headwear in the first JP was actually a hat, I thought he had strapped an umbrella to his head.

HatAddict94

Familiar Face
I'm looking for a nice straw hat thats similar to alan grants hat in the first jurassic park. I found an older forum from 2006 talking about the same thing but all the links are dead or i can't find anything similar on the sites provided. There's a shot when they're digging up the raptor bones and you can see a horse hair tassle as the hat band. Akubras are the way to go but i was wondering if bd6112e4e7bce268f76809f3ac2e5eb9.png anybody which company made it and if they sell it.
Alan-Grant.png

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Check out the Australian Hat makers of Akubra...OR contact Peters Brothers in Texas...I can bet they would make that hat exactly for not so much of a price.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I know a lot of people in the Jurassic Park fandom use the Sunbody to make their Alan Grant hats, but I'm rather partial to the one I made using the panama hat by Scala:
10329715_339926782883490_7147116875116640774_o.jpg

The brim is a bit wider, and the crown is a tad shorter than the Sunbody, which has more accurate dimensions, but if you're not looking for something exact, I'd say it's fine.

Here's the original screen used by Baron Hats, by the way:
m9Z6J2k.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
This was covered in another thread, but why not rehash it?

Not sure of source of the original hat, but the Sunbody in Open Crown can easily be shaped into a very useful and close version.

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/category/17/open-crown-hats.cfm

IMG_5063_zpskdtezpp8.jpg
IMG_5058_zpsbcg803fx.jpg

I got mine from some western store in Moab, Utah. They had a whole bundle of these open crowned Sunbodies. I shaped it into a C-crown in a bathtub at a place that we rented while hiking in the area.

You might call or write to SunBody for their input, but I suspect that mine is one of these two versions:
https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/95/4-inch-brim-guatemalan-fine-palm-hat.cfm
https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/p...im-low-crown-guatemalan-standard-palm-hat.cfm.

Beyond the movie interest, this is a very useful hat. Cool enough for Summer, great shade for face, neck and shoulders and holds up to wet, work and sun. One of the best values in hats anywhere.

Fed

Last edited:
I would also suggest you look into a Sunbody hat, maybe something like this which they offer in a variety of brim widths. Sunbody hats are easy to shape, won't break the bank, and will survive a downpour (like in the first photo you posted) far better than most straw hats. You'd have to change the band, of course, but you would probably have to do that anyway unless you find a hatter that makes an exact duplicate of that Alan Grant hat.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thought I would jump in here again. Watched Jurassic park again. Great film. Still haven’t bought the Sunbidy hat but what about the fedora Grant wears in JP III? It looks green in the film but this page indicated it’s brown.
https://www.icollector.com/Jurassic-Park-III-Dr-Alan-Grant-s-Fedora-Sam-Neill_i21744804
Almost looks like a Akubra Stylemaster would fit the bill or a Squatter with the edge binding removed. Thoughts?
Johnny

Edward

Bartender
Alan Grant is back with another hat
View attachment 436826
Akubra traveller in fern would be a good match.
Johnny

Reminds me a lot of an old, wool western I had years ago, though I would suspect that downward swoop on the front of the brim makes it more likely to be fur.

Still loving the look of those Sunbodys.... I did look into them at one point a few years ago, but at that time shipping to the UK was prohibitive unless you ordered several at once. Maybe will look again if the pound ever recovers...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I've been doing some digging (yes that was intentional) off and on looking for the JW Dominion hat. In case anyone is interested I think the hat he wears is the Chepstow Trilby from Locke and Co! Sam Neil is auctioning the hat via Prop Store for Unicef and its an exact match!
Thank you so much! I've been scouring the internet trying to find it. I thought I looked on Lock & Co, but I must've missed it. Probably because I was looking for fedoras, not trilbies.

Last edited:

unclejimmy

New in Town
It is definitely pricey (this is my first hat purchase at this price point) but really is a beautiful hat. The amount of time I've spent the last year trying different combinations of searches to find it I couldn't let it go

Edward

Bartender
It is definitely pricey (this is my first hat purchase at this price point) but really is a beautiful hat. The amount of time I've spent the last year trying different combinations of searches to find it I couldn't let it go

Yes, sometimes when there's just nothing else that gets you exactly what you want, the only option is to bite the bullet and pay out. All done and said, it can sometimes be better to do that off the bat than buy one or several more affordable alternatives that are never quite 'right' and you never quite settle with.

Lock's aftersales care can be a big plus. A few years ago, a friend bought a used Lock bowler. Happened to be passing one day, and he dropped in to enquire about what it might cost to have it reconfirmed to his head - they did it there and then and wouldn't take a payment for it, even though he was open about not being the original purchaser, because it was one of theirs. A Lock bowler is something special again, of course, given they invented it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk