Jurassic Park: Alan Grant Fedora

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Pittdawg, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 1911 Man

1911 Man A-List Customer

The Fedora in JPIII is not too bad, but I didn't realize his headwear in the first JP was actually a hat, I thought he had strapped an umbrella to his head.

2. Colby Jack

Colby Jack Call Me a Cab

That's a great basic panama...:eusa_clap

3. HatAddict94

HatAddict94 Familiar Face

I'm looking for a nice straw hat thats similar to alan grants hat in the first jurassic park. I found an older forum from 2006 talking about the same thing but all the links are dead or i can't find anything similar on the sites provided. There's a shot when they're digging up the raptor bones and you can see a horse hair tassle as the hat band. Akubras are the way to go but i was wondering if bd6112e4e7bce268f76809f3ac2e5eb9.png anybody which company made it and if they sell it.
    Alan-Grant.png

4. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

Check out the Australian Hat makers of Akubra...OR contact Peters Brothers in Texas...I can bet they would make that hat exactly for not so much of a price.

5. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Zombie_61, Edward and Bob Roberts like this.
  6. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I know a lot of people in the Jurassic Park fandom use the Sunbody to make their Alan Grant hats, but I'm rather partial to the one I made using the panama hat by Scala:
    [​IMG]

The brim is a bit wider, and the crown is a tad shorter than the Sunbody, which has more accurate dimensions, but if you're not looking for something exact, I'd say it's fine.

Here's the original screen used by Baron Hats, by the way:
    [​IMG]

Zombie_61 and KarlCrow like this.
  7. Fed in a Fedora

Fed in a Fedora Practically Family

This was covered in another thread, but why not rehash it?

Not sure of source of the original hat, but the Sunbody in Open Crown can easily be shaped into a very useful and close version.

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/category/17/open-crown-hats.cfm

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I got mine from some western store in Moab, Utah. They had a whole bundle of these open crowned Sunbodies. I shaped it into a C-crown in a bathtub at a place that we rented while hiking in the area.

You might call or write to SunBody for their input, but I suspect that mine is one of these two versions:
    https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/95/4-inch-brim-guatemalan-fine-palm-hat.cfm
    https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/p...im-low-crown-guatemalan-standard-palm-hat.cfm.

Beyond the movie interest, this is a very useful hat. Cool enough for Summer, great shade for face, neck and shoulders and holds up to wet, work and sun. One of the best values in hats anywhere.

Fed

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Zombie_61 and Bob Roberts like this.
  8. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I would also suggest you look into a Sunbody hat, maybe something like this which they offer in a variety of brim widths. Sunbody hats are easy to shape, won't break the bank, and will survive a downpour (like in the first photo you posted) far better than most straw hats. You'd have to change the band, of course, but you would probably have to do that anyway unless you find a hatter that makes an exact duplicate of that Alan Grant hat.

William G. and Bob Roberts like this.
  9. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Thought I would jump in here again. Watched Jurassic park again. Great film. Still haven’t bought the Sunbidy hat but what about the fedora Grant wears in JP III? It looks green in the film but this page indicated it’s brown.
    https://www.icollector.com/Jurassic-Park-III-Dr-Alan-Grant-s-Fedora-Sam-Neill_i21744804
    Almost looks like a Akubra Stylemaster would fit the bill or a Squatter with the edge binding removed. Thoughts?
    Johnny

Zombie_61 likes this.