Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jury Duty

just_me

Practically Family
kools said:
Now I don't know what I'd wear, being the fact that I am most comfortable in vintage and don't own a modern suit or sport coat. I do believe I could manage to tone down a "vintage look", however.
I would guess the fact that you wear a vintage suit wouldn't be a problem if you want to get picked for a jury, but if you come in looking like you are in a costume, or that you are auditioning for Guys and Dolls, that might get you turned down. ;)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
If you'll all pardon me for getting all philisophical here, I find it fascinating that the British and American experience of jury duty is essentially the same. This is due to the fact that our legal system traces its origins right back to the Anglo Saxon law courts of centuries ago. For all its flaws, it's a wonderful system, nobody has really improved on it since the middle ages. Our jury system has been a bullwark for our liberties since its inception.
Anyhow, I can just imagine someone in a doublet back in Shakespeare's time, or in a top hat in Dickens's time, having exactly the same conversation.

For the most part the US legal system was based on English Common Law. It is now codified. For example search the New York Civil Practice
Law & Rules or the Restatement of Torts. There are obvious differences endemic to the area in which we live and times we live in. Women were once considered chattel or property. Louisiana law was based on the Napoleonic Code.

One thing that has not changed; the horrid stench in the hallowed halls of the jury pen in Bronx County. Take it from me, it'll bring a tear to a grown man's eye:eek:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
kools said:
Now I don't know what I'd wear, being the fact that I am most comfortable in vintage and don't own a modern suit or sport coat. I do believe I could manage to tone down a "vintage look", however.

I'm sure a classic suit as part of a quiet, business-like outfit is fine. I'd leave the hat in the car.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Bugsy said:
I've been called to jury duty about six times and always been dismissed by the same ADA. I finally met her in a social situation and asked her why. She said lawyers don't like people to be too sharply dressed. They look too slick. So if you want to serve, be casual; if you want to get out of jury duty.........

Let us know what happens.

I've been called,again....This time I'm showing up in a suit and black and white spectators.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I wore suits each time I was called and chosen. Ended up foreman on both. It was really fascinating! A Cuban arrested with coke, and an international business fraud case. Neat stuff.

The other jurors were casual and that's fine by me. One asked why I wore a tie every day, and another piped up for me "because that's obviously what is comfortable for him." A great compliment. But I always left the hat in the car. No place to put it!

For me personally, wearing a necktie and coat was a mark of respect for the place and the system. An entirely personal choice. In case any new lurkers read this, your gym clothes would be inappropriate, however. :)
There is never an occasion on which it is OK to appear with your hairy back boobs showing. lol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
I can only speak for the court system in North Carolina...
If a person arrived for jury duty dressed like a character from a Mickey Spillane novel, I (and most other attorneys I know) probably would give that person a pass.;)

AF

Try this in Chicago.;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
For the most part the US legal system was based on English Common Law. It is now codified. For example search the New York Civil Practice Law & Rules or the Restatement of Torts...

...or read Prosser's Torts, which can also be used as a doorstop. :)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I don't believe it, but I just got a Jury Summons. I don't know if I'll have to serve (I have to check based on something), but if I do, I'll be getting use out of some of my favorite clothes. I've been rejected twice going totally casual, so I'd be interested to see the results with a change of style.

just_me

Practically Family
scotrace said:
In case any new lurkers read this, your gym clothes would be inappropriate, however. :)
There is never an occasion on which it is OK to appear with your hairy back boobs showing. lol
One of the times that I was called, a young woman showed up in very short cut-off shorts and a little t-shirt. She was sent home and told to return ASAP in appropriate clothing. She came back and was put on the same jury as I was on (think the judge wanted to look at her. Turns out she was an exotic dancer. lol )

just_me

Practically Family
If this is what this guy where to go swimming in the winter, I wonder what he'd wear to jury dury. lol lol lol

45065287.jpg

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
...and never forget your most important accessory... the FIJA brochure!

-dixon 'FIJA' cannon

As a student teacher (and Social Studies Education major), I recently found myself teaching a Law Ed class. Now, I've never taken a law class, so I am having to depend on the textbook and the bits and pieces of knowledge I've picked up on my ride through life. That FIJA site you mentioned (and this is the only place I've heard of it) came in very handy when teaching my class about juries. If they get nothing else out of my class, I hope they remember that.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WildCelt said:
As a student teacher (and Social Studies Education major), I recently found myself teaching a Law Ed class. Now, I've never taken a law class, so I am having to depend on the textbook and the bits and pieces of knowledge I've picked up on my ride through life. That FIJA site you mentioned (and this is the only place I've heard of it) came in very handy when teaching my class about juries. If they get nothing else out of my class, I hope they remember that.

God bless you, WildCelt! You are a model citizen, and I for one appreciate it! :eusa_clap

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ