Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just an intro

NeilA

Familiar Face
Hello Fedora Lounge,

I recently became enamored with fedoras as well as the golden era, and although I am excited to start wearing a hat, instead of my usual ball cap, it is a bit daunting. While I know I wont be able to add to the "Best of '09" thread, I would like to get my feat set in the right direction before the year is out. I have a Jaxon C-crown coming, a $32ish hat, if anyone is not familiar with the model/quality accosiated. While I save up for a "real" hat, I thought that this would give me a "once around" before I had sunk some money into a "vintage" on e-bay, that I have no way of knowing if it really is vintage or not. So, in summary I'd like to say "Hello", and I can't wait to learn from y'all.

Sir Tom

New in Town
Welcome to the forum,
You can learn a lot by using the search feature. I use the advanced search and under the topic I click "in title subject only". Just about any subject can be found that way. I have spent hours reading old posts and have learned a lot.
The Jaxon hats seem to be good quality and the Bogart model is fairly popular here. There are several threads on that very hat.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Neil, you've made a decent start. Now you're hooked. Btw, Bogart was my inspiration for getting into fedoras, so I love your avatar!

Sir Tom

New in Town
Some things that are great about wearing a fedora or any large brimmed hat.
1. my head is dry when it rains.
2. it keeps the sun out of my eyes, very handy while driving into the sun I just lower my head a little and the brim shades my eyes
3. Fedoras just look cool
4. my head is not cold
5. you may make someones day and get a comment like this, "I really love your hat, it looks good on you it reminds me of Indy, Daddy, Granpaw, Bogie ect. my hero." aka chicks dig it, it can be a good icebreaker.
Draw backs
1. Wife or girlfriend will become jealous of your new "precious baby".
2. Fedoras reproduce
3. If you are not real careful you could spend good money on an Ebay moth condo. Just because it is vintage does not mean it is not a vintage p.o.s. knowledge is power
4. You will really miss it when you don't have it.
5. you may have some make fun of you "Hey Indy, Bogie, Granpaw ect". who cares its jealousy they just don't have the guts to wear one and the confidence to pull it off.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Welcome Neil

Having joined only early this year (or was it late last year?) I still remember the anticipation that comes with buying hats. You'll find a lot of passion and learn a lot here - there's always knowledge being collected, shared and uncovered.

Be prepared to make some mistakes, I know I did when it came to buying some vintages. But I recall someone saying on here that buying vintage is somehow preserving history. I like what that evokes. :) Again, welcome and enjoy the journey.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, NeilA!

The Jaxon that you bought does appear to be a wool felt, as someone pointed out, but it's a good-looking hat. Hope you enjoy it.

NeilA

Familiar Face
Woah

Thanks for all the replys... how to begin...

@CptJeff -- Yeah, I really wanted a fur felt, but thought I should get a cheeper one... it my seem like 32 bucks down the drain to some, but I think of it as another learning experiance.

@Blackthorn -- Yes, I'm a Bogart fan too, although my favorite movie of his, he never wears a fedora... The Caine Mutiny. Acctualy I just googled "fedora" for a temp avatar (till I get one of me lookin sharp :) ), and Bogey came up.

@Spats McGee -- Thanks, I like the style, and I thought the price was right, guess I'll find out how well it holds up.

@ScionPI2005 -- Callin me an "Oddball" before you really know me eh? :)

Welcome to the Lounge

Welcome to the Lounge ! You'll enjoy it here for sure. :eusa_clap

I always wanted a Fedora knowing I would wear it well.......then I got one. Days later I was turned on to vintage. 2 days after that introduction, I scored a primo 50's Cavanagh; a few days later I stumbled into a extreamly nice 50's Adams Premier; and then I got this nice older Forstadt Beaver which we think is 50's era, but it was a 7 5/8, so I sent it out for re-blocking and re-shaping to a 7 3/4 which is my size. And darn if I didn't get another 50's Cavanagh same style, but different color, however a 7 5/8 long oval.....a slight strech and I'm in it...... and I just purchased the VS - Art Fawcett in the Classified Section...check it out......such a nice lid...

Wow...this all happened since October........lol

So as everyone said "welcome" to me back in October and stated it is addictive......well......they sure were right.....

Find that perfect hat and wear it in good health !

Welcome, enjoy the stay.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Welcome Neil!

I'm still very new here, but welcome all the same.

Let me know how that Jaxon is treating you. I'll be ordering the same one in about 3 days.

NeilA

Familiar Face
If this hat is considered low end, I can't wait to get my hands on a quality vintage or a VS. Its a bit darker than what showed up on my monitor, but thats okay, it goes better with my suit anyway. I intend on wearing it more often than when I wear my suit, but I thought that they should go together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot