Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JUST ARRIVED-AWESOME MONARCH A2 SIZE 44!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some pics of my new Monarch A2 in a size 44. It's in superb original condition. Monarch A2s are somewhat rare especially in a wearable size and this one is a perfect fit. I have owned a size 42 in the past but it was too small. The Monarch contract dates from the 1942 fiscal year. The hh is very soft with areas of pronounced grain.

IMG_33901.jpg

IMG_33971.jpg

IMG_33911.jpg

IMG_33921.jpg

IMG_33931.jpg

IMG_33941.jpg

IMG_33951.jpg

IMG_33961.jpg

These are not my pics, but will take some myself at the weekend.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a B-E-A-U-T-Y..!!

Andrew, that is just beautiful. Can you tell us anything about it's pedigree/history? That's as nice as they come for a Monarch!!

(I was going to say, Eastman's have really excelled themselves this time!! but just couldn't bring myself to do it, as it's such a lovely, lovely original).

aswatland

Paddy the jacket belonged to Lt John E Deyo of Worcester, MA. He was born in 1919 and enlisted in the Air Corps on 23 Jan 1942. I have not discovered anything about his service career as yet.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
You must be pleased this your latest find, it’s excellent.

I notice the knits look if you like ‘tight’. Are they replacements do you think? They look original from your pictures.

I mention this as I remember some criticism of repros which look just like this.

James

aswatland

jamespibworth@n said:
You must be pleased this your latest find, it’s excellent.

I notice the knits look if you like ‘tight’. Are they replacements do you think? They look original from your pictures.

I mention this as I remember some criticism of repros which look just like this.

James

Thanks James, The wristlets are replacements, but they are a good match and were done sometime ago I would guess. Everything else is original.

aswatland

I have just got around to taking some more pics of the Monarch. The Monarch A2 has several unique features including the blackened Talon Zip, which is very similar to the zips used by this maker on some of its naval flying jackets.
038-4.jpg

039-3.jpg

042-3.jpg

043-2.jpg

044-1.jpg

045.jpg

fraazierjo

New in Town
Monarch A2

Beautiful jacket - after getting my first one, I think I'm hooked. I'll watch for this one on You Tube, Andrew. Really enjoying the vintage Aero I just bought from you! I've just bid on a Navy sheepskin and a helmet to match the A2. Keep them coming!

Edward

Bartender
Great looking jacket.... looks like it was barely worn by the original owner. It's impressive how close the replacement wrist knits are to the waistband - spot on. Looks like a great fit on you, too.

aswatland

Edward said:
Great looking jacket.... looks like it was barely worn by the original owner. It's impressive how close the replacement wrist knits are to the waistband - spot on. Looks like a great fit on you, too.

Thanks Edward. I think the replacement wrist knits were done in the war as they have a little more stiffness than modern ones and match the waistband. The correct thread was used and the jacket was turned inside out to instal them judging by the way part of the lining in the upper sleeve has been re-sewn. No the jacket has had little wear and is almost impossible to up-grade.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Superb A-2 Andrew, the condition of the leather is astounding and I can understand why you picked this one up. Good job.

aswatland

Smithy said:
Superb A-2 Andrew, the condition of the leather is astounding and I can understand why you picked this one up. Good job.

This one was not an Ebay purchase rather a direct buy from a collector in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace