Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just curious...

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
It is very hard to carve out time for yourself and time with your hubby when the kids are little. I agree with all the comments posted, that you must set time aside for yourselves. You can't parent well if your over-stressed. I wanted to have kids right away, but my husband and I were married 5 years before our first was born. There was a time when I didn't think I would have any kids, now I have 4!

My schedule revolves around them, who has to go where, is it my turn to help out, bring food, etc.. but I guess that's what being a parent is. They grow up so fast. Enjoy them while they are little. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Hope it's a more a pleasure than a duty! (Or am I being naive? [huh] )
It's definetly a pleasure...the rewards are great...there are just some things you don't think about when having kids.

Tin Pan Sally

I'm a Mom. We did it the old fashioned way; got married first THEN got pregnant. See how golden era I am? ;)
Don't expect to have time and energy for hair-dos every day when you are caring for babies and toddlers. It will hardly be a priority! I had a simple standby up-do to fall back on.

cztheday

New in Town
There is a light at the end of that tunnel

I have two little boys, 4 and 2.5. It has only been during the last two months that that light emerged at the end of the tunnel. They play with one of their many train sets while I shower (15 mins), do makeup (10 min) and hair (15 mins - a quick blow dry with a small round brush will give me a nice wavy curl that looks 1940s). 40 minutes total. Of course, I am often visited by them, because one is either not sharing, or they want to do something else. The 4 year old is good at managing the situation, and cajoling his brother into being a good boy. It's great because I am finding my sanity again - and I smell nicer too.

The best part is when my little guys see me emerge from my room and they say cool things like "Mom, you look beautiful," or "I like the color of your lipstick." With comments like that they will either grow up to be gay, or just really considerate boys. Either way, they are the best!

cztheday

New in Town
Thanks!

Marc Chevalier said:
Or both! In any case, they sound like great kids.
They are great kids. And I'm trying to keep them cultured on the retro world. They listen to everything from Mozart to Sinatra to Madonna (as well as the Sesame Street tunes). My 4 year old loves to dance, yet also loves sports and computers. My two year old would easily pass up TV to play with trains. I think one thing that REALLY helps is that they are rarely allowed to watch TV. Fifty or 60 years ago, people weren't as bombarded by shameless marketing as we are now. Everywhere you turn, testosterone laden, gun-weilding, half-naked images are thrown at us: in the mall, billboards, magazines, let alone TV. Studies have shown that kids have such a skewed view on the world based on the values set forth on TV. (Can you tell I studied this in college?) I really see a difference in my boys demeaner compared to my friends' kids (who get more TV). My boys are less violent and more patient with the world.

On the other hand, maybe I just got lucky.

PicklePod05

New in Town
mysterygal said:
wifely duties is nothing compared to raising kids!

Definately not, it's trying to find a time when the baby's asleep and no one else is to do it. Especially things like cleaning, baby toys tend to make a lot of noise... lol

Marc Chevalier said:
Hope it's a more a pleasure than a duty! (Or am I being naive? [huh] )

The rewards definately out weigh the challenge of finding time to eat, sleep, take showers, do the housework and such :) Sometimes, there just aren't enough hours in the day! lol

My biggest challenge right now is getting my daughter to actually sleep and then to stay that way for more than 20 min haha. She's quite the little mischevious one (she gets that from her dad haha) As I've been typing this post, she's already woken up twice, because she'd rather play than sleep lol I almost always have to wait until she goes to bed for the night to take a shower, and sometimes it just gets too late, and the rest of the house is already asleep by the time I get the chance to do so lol

Tin Pan Sally said:
I'm a Mom. We did it the old fashioned way; got married first THEN got pregnant.QUOTE]

That's how my boyfriend and I planned it. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out so well haha. Now that she's here, though, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

cztheday

New in Town
Thanks MysteryGal

mysterygal said:
cztheday, that's an adorable picture of you two!
Thanks MysteryGal. Tell me, do you or anyone else here consider some of your wifely duties picking up your husbands "snail trails"? You know, socks, shoes, lost bills. I think my husband exhausts me more than my children do. And speaking of hair, do you find that your spouse is more impatient with your beauty routine than your chidlren are? I don't get it. He wants me to look nice, but gets frustrated when I take the time to do so.[huh]

PicklePod05

New in Town
Oh yes lol I go to bed earlier than my boyfriend, and when he takes off his shoes and socks, he never seems to find a good place for them, no matter how hard he tries. I always end up nearly tripping overthem the next morning, when I stumble out of bed half asleep to make a bottle for my daughter. Don't forget the jackets, either lol I don't mind, though, at least he tries :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
cztheday said:
Thanks MysteryGal. Tell me, do you or anyone else here consider some of your wifely duties picking up your husbands "snail trails"? You know, socks, shoes, lost bills. I think my husband exhausts me more than my children do. And speaking of hair, do you find that your spouse is more impatient with your beauty routine than your chidlren are? I don't get it. He wants me to look nice, but gets frustrated when I take the time to do so.[huh]
lol lol oh yes, the snail trail! what's irritating is he's a perfectionist..big time. If I were to leave a mess in the house, would not look good. He get's home, and you can perfectly tell where he's been...coat on the chair, shoes and socks halfway between the great room and kitchen and so on...maid anyone?:rolleyes:
The difference with my husband, is, it doesn't matter how long I take, all he's interested is the finished result....reading this, he's starting to sound pretty awful! ok, to put it back to the nice side, he really is a wonderful man

cztheday

New in Town
You are very lucky

mysterygal said:
lol lol oh yes, the snail trail! what's irritating is he's a perfectionist..big time. If I were to leave a mess in the house, would not look good. He get's home, and you can perfectly tell where he's been...coat on the chair, shoes and socks halfway between the great room and kitchen and so on...maid anyone?:rolleyes:
The difference with my husband, is, it doesn't matter how long I take, all he's interested is the finished result....reading this, he's starting to sound pretty awful! ok, to put it back to the nice side, he really is a wonderful man
It seems as though you have a great attitude about the snail trails. The funny part is, I even once had a cleaning lady who complained about the messes my husband leaves behind. lol But, mine is a good guy, too. He can fix my computer, lift heavy things and open jars. Oh, and the other "wifely duties," well, it's definitely not a chore ;) (pun intended).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn