Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just for Fun...The diffence in 5 years

cemetarian

Vendor
I'm trying to figure out a blog about this but I just wanted to share cause I like these pix.

The one on the left is the DH's Mom and her 2 sisters taken in 1939 and the one on the right is my Mom and her 2 sisters taken in 1944. Look at the difference...isn't it fun?

All six women were the same height and approximate weight and look at the difference in their appearance...........not to mention hem lengths............LOL

Sisters.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
1939 could have been 1929. They want (probably need) to look like proper ladies, ie: older and home centered. Everything is homemade, handed down, or looks it. Showing your shape is taboo, at least in their world. Even their smiles are tight. Everything says Depression.

1944 is unmistakable. Youth is not quite a craze yet, but at least it's an idea. Fashions travel now, because there's some money, and because the country is all on the same wavelength. Hair is carefree, limbs allowable. These gals can go places. Nothing says World War, except that the setting is 100% female.

Even the settings say a lot.
1939: weathered old house, dirt lot. It's a hard place, and not just physically. A little Sunday gingham is the only color they can have.
1944: sleek car, lush grass, open sky. The car, a not-quite-late model (late being 1942), hints at what the '30s really had to offer that many never got to have.

Where are the pictures taken? What were those places like then?

cemetarian

Vendor
WOW......can I use some of that?.....................

It was a hard scrabble world for both families..........the photo on the left was taken in 1939 just before my MIL (the one in the jacket) married my FIL. She was barely 19..........the photo on the right was taken in 1944 when my MOM (the one on the left) was just 16....all the men were off to war......both families were depression poor.........rural Texas..........and all the women were wearing their best clothes for the photos...........I'm not sure who's car that is..............but I KNOW it wasn't my grandfather's...........probably a neighbor's..........or maybe one of my uncles...........both of my aunts were married at this time............

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Use whatever you like...just as if you had a blog and I had pressed Comment. And thanks for further illumination. I'd have guessed rural from the setting of '39 (and Texas from your Location:). But '44 would have been harder to guess.

cemetarian

Vendor
LOL.......what you can't see (cause of the cropping) is the barn in the background of the one with the car.................BWAHAHAHA..I was cropping for clothing not background effect...........but that is an interesting point so I may go back to the drawing board............

cemetarian

Vendor
The Moore sisters look like more fun.

I think maybe you're right..............both sets were loving...........but my Mom's family had a bit more fun.............or actually they married guys who were a bit more fun..........LOL

Miss Brill

One Too Many
What a great post! It is like the weight of the world was lifted off a generation's shoulders. In my family photos, everyone looks depressed during the Depression, I guess it was all that pea soup, but during the 40s they all look like they were going for a screen test. You cannot tell that you are looking at poor people living out on farms.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
39 looks 30s to me!

Definitely not 1929! Why? Waistlines. The real waistline didn't come back until 1930, and definitely had not trickled down to the masses yet! But it makes sense that their early 30s looking dresses would still be being worn in 1939, no one had much money in that decade.
The two pictures really remind me why I like the 30s better.. I know I am in the minority on this! I just find the lissome, ladylike look more pleasing than the busty, big hair and collegiate 40s.

cemetarian

Vendor
LOL..I agree Miss 1929 (which is the year after my MOM was born)...........I like the 30's silhouette better. It's more flattering..........(but then I have a thick waist and always have and the longer line just looks better on me)...........I think there's something to be said for all the eras...........but we all have a personal favorite.............mine is this year with yoga pants and tank tops..........LOL....I even did a blog on that one.......about how glad I am that I can wear sweats instead of the dreaded "S" curve corset.

But there were rebels in all the ages. I've gotta find it but I have a dashing pix of the woman in the middle in the left hand photo wearing pants............quite dashing in the 30's............it was during her Garbo Phase...I'll find it and post it...........it's my 2nd fav.

Found it............it was taken in 1933 when she was 19.

Sailor_Sister.jpg

Miss 1929

Love that picture!

Notice, she might be in pants, but she has a hairdo! Our kind of gal.
It is nice that we have the option of wearing whatever silhouette fits our particular type - unlike pre-1960s, when everyone had to try to fit the prevalent mode! We are blessed that way.
Certainly I have lots of friends who look way better in 40s, and some who own the 20s... leaves more (of the extremely rare) 30s for me!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
The two pictures really remind me why I like the 30s better.. I know I am in the minority on this! I just find the lissome, ladylike look more pleasing than the busty, big hair and collegiate 40s.

I'm with you there! I really like the dresses in the 30s picture better.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm another one who seems to like the 30s pic better. They look so much more ladylike. I've never really been attracted to the patterns, but I think I will start looking around.

Miss 1929

We should have pattern-share...

kamikat said:
I'm another one who seems to like the 30s pic better. They look so much more ladylike. I've never really been attracted to the patterns, but I think I will start looking around.

I have several dress patterns in larger sizes (44 bust) from the early 30s, but I can't find a coat pattern (Lady Day has it! One of those 1932 side closing ones with fur trim!).
Maybe we could have a "use it and send it on" pattern thread, rather like the Globe Trotting Hat?

I know they are collectible and valuable, so maybe the best thing would be for the owner to make a sturdy paper copy (or muslin) and a copy of the instructions and pattern envelope (for the yardage) and then each person copies that when they get it...

Is it feasable?

Oh look, I just passed 200 posts! How pixels fly when you're having fun...

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I have several dress patterns in larger sizes (44 bust) from the early 30s, but I can't find a coat pattern (Lady Day has it! One of those 1932 side closing ones with fur trim!).

I would be interested in this, especially the 44" bust sizes!

Miss 1929

Great! I will kick it off!

BeBopBaby said:
I would be interested in this, especially the 44" bust sizes!

We're the same sizish! I have a really nice 1932 dress and jacket pattern that I have the muslin cut out for - as soon as I fit that and then cut the real fabric, I will make another paper pattern and copy the instructions and start a new thread on it!

Probably a good idea for us to do patterns we have really made in case there are any weirdnesses in the construction that we should warn each other about.

Lady Day, I want that coat... badly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn