Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my first hat in..

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I got my Sydney to hold a crease by spot spraying it with water, but you have to get it pretty wet. But just wet the areas that you want to shape otherwise the entire hat may lose its shape.

simmonsjeffreya

New in Town
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I have gotten the bash to stay, minus the front pinch, but that's no big deal to touch up every other day or so. I decided to try just steaming it by boiling water in a pot and then opening the steam valve on the lid, which was a success.

The only issue I keep running into is the darn liner. That "plastic" type area causes deformities in the bash on occasion if I don't put the hat on just right. Is there anywhere I can send the hat to get that plastic type material removed? I love everything about the hat except for that annoyance, and without it the bash would stick nicely. The only other thing I'm wondering now, do all Akubra's come with this plastic area? I don't recall seeing it in many of the photos I've seen, so I'm wondering why mine came with it?

-Jeff

Goose.

Practically Family
Jeff....

I have a handful of Akubra bunnies. ALL of them, except my Casual, have the plastic.

My logic, and I'm no Yoda, is that the plastic keeps the oil from you noggin off the felt.
Well, whatever the reason, except for the crushable Casual, they have that.

Have read that some have completely removed the liner of their Akubra hats. Seems to be for comfort in the summer/humidity. I have not done so.

Others will chime in, I am sure. Until so, your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Don't run with scissors.

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
simmonsjeffreya said:
p8060268.jpg

p8060264.jpg

p8060272.jpg

I don't know enough to tell you what to do with the liner, but this hat looks fantastic. One of best bashes for the sidney that I've seen. :eusa_clap

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Akubra Fedora

Simmonsjeffreya - Welcome to the lounge!

Excellent choice for your first hat. Goose mentioned that I have two of the Akubra Fedoras and they are among my favorites. I would agree with daizawaguy's comment also - the center dent bash has worked better for me with them - the felt is so soft. I must say though your teardrop looks really nice - much better than the one I worked up on my Burnt Oak Fedora, but I don't care for as much front to back taper as you have, so my teardrop is smaller and not as well defined, and will probably be changed back to a center dent anyway.

I have bashed my Fedoras with the spray bottle and distilled water method, just soak it up good and work it the way I want it and plop it on my noggin until it dries. Repeat until you get it the way you want it. They do seem to hold the center dent bash pretty good, it has needed little touch up. I'm using the same method to touch up a vintage Dobbs that I got on ebay this week, but the felt is much firmer and has to be worked a little more on it.

I started out with a little foam in each of the Fedoras, but with wear they soon didn't need it. Enjoy your Sydney!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy