Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Got my new Akubra Snowy River and...

jaffathehat

New in Town
Hello Akubraphiles, after 3 weeks of waiting I have just got my new Akubra Snowy River from Hats by the 100 in Brisbane, Australia. When I opened the package I found that the rim of the hat had been had been crushed flat against the bottom of the box:mad: I am not happy and have spent the last hour of my evening trying to steam it into shape. The rim now looks a lot better than this but it is not perfect as a new hat should be. Anyone ever bought an Akubra from Hats by the 100, if so what were your experiences? I doubt I would buy from them again.
20200624_173154.jpg
20200624_173234.jpg
20200624_173252.jpg
20200624_173302.jpg

That is disappointing. Is that the box they shipped it in? It looks as though they just put the hat in a cardboard box, is that correct? I have 6 Akubras, none from these guys, and all of them came in a real hat box with the crown and brim protected or at least supported. If I received that hat in that box I would be pissed. It should at least be reported to them if for no other reason than to bring it to their attention. Let them know and see what if anything they come back with as remedy. It will indicate how serious they take customer service.

jaffathehat

New in Town
Thanks Belfastboy, I have a black snowy from a different company in Australia and it arrived in perfect condition because it had been packed correctly in the right size box. What you cannot tell from my photos is that the box is too shallow for the height of the crown so to fit the hat in they have just force-flattened the rim. Like I say, I have steamed it into shape and I suppose it looks passable but when I hold it up next to the black all the little imperfections stand out- it really bugs me given its a spanking new hat.

jaffathehat

New in Town
Hi Bob, Yep, I agree, its like I am dealing with some bunch of amateurs. I have contacted hats by the hundred but their website does not have a 'complaints' option on their drop-down menu that I can see so I had to go with 'product enquiry' and even then you are limited to 50 words with no obvious way to upload photos.

Edward

Bartender
I have a few Akubras all bought from Hats Direct in Aus, shipped to the UK in "proper" hatboxes, no problem. I agree that this is sloppy and poor customer service - I'd contact them with your feedback in a constructive way rather than venting (I have found in practice this usually gets better resutls). TBH, this is the sort of thing likely to happen to your hat over a few months of hard wear anyhow and it won't hurt it - Akubas are tough buggers: my Akubra Rap was once trampled at a Pogues gig, but fifteen minutes with the kettle when I got home saw it right. For me, ah at really begin to take on its own character once it's less than 'perfect' - but I completely understand you'd want to have that happen at your own hands, not on its way to you.

jaffathehat

New in Town
That is exacly the point Edward, I want to wear it in myself. When you pay for a quality hat you should be able to wear it straight out of the box and not stuff around reshaping it for an hour first. If its new, it should be in perfect condition.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over the last several years I've seen nothing but negative comments about this company. I have seven or eight Akubras and have dealt only with Everything Australian and Hats Direct, both of which I have nothing but superlatives to say. I hope, though, you can get this one into shape.

Over the last several years I've seen nothing but negative comments about this company. I have seven or eight Akubras and have dealt only with Everything Australian and Hats Direct, both of which I have nothing but superlatives to say. I hope, though, you can get this one into shape.
I concur...the two suppliers you mention have given me top notch service.

jaffathehat

New in Town
I think hats direct is where I got my black snowy and stylemaster and the service was excellent as I remember. The hats certainly arrived in perfect condidion. I should have had the sense to use them again instead the place in Brisbane.

Hello Akubraphiles, after 3 weeks of waiting I have just got my new Akubra Snowy River from Hats by the 100 in Brisbane, Australia. When I opened the package I found that the rim of the hat had been had been crushed flat against the bottom of the box:mad: I am not happy and have spent the last hour of my evening trying to steam it into shape. The rim now looks a lot better than this but it is not perfect as a new hat should be. Anyone ever bought an Akubra from Hats by the 100, if so what were your experiences? I doubt I would buy from them again. View attachment 243740 View attachment 243742 View attachment 243743 View attachment 243744

I’ve bought Akubras from three Australian companies and Hats By the Hundred was the only one I had trouble with. They shipped my hat in a box that was too small and caused the hat to distort...sound familiar? Everything Australian and The Hattery/Hats Direct are great and ship in proper hat boxes.

johnnycanuck

I started this thread a few years ago.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hats-by-the-hundred.94323/#post-2439989
so same shitty story. The follow up I never posted was when she did get her hat she wore it to work so I could have a gander at it. The Croc band was glued on not sewn in. I fear it will fall off over time. Felt bad so never pointed it out to her. At any rate I feel bad for all you who have ordered from them and got bad treatment. I would stick with hatsdirect and everythingaustralian. But you did get a quality hat so wear it with pride.
Johnny

jaffathehat

New in Town
Thanks, Johnny and deadly. I have contacted them and thay have offered to replace the hat and reimburse me for shipping, but, get this, they have said I should have "reached out" before saying anything on here- I am angry not having a breakdown!

jaffathehat

New in Town
They also made the excuse that some hats have been damaged in the post latley when this is obviously just a case of them not packing it in the right size box with the rim supported. The snowy otherwise seems ok so I may keep it if I can improve the shape of the rim a little more. Johnny, what did you mean by the felt not being good on your colleague's hat? I took a look at your link but couldnt see where this is mentioned.
Jaffa

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I had a terrible experience with Hats By the Hundred nearly a decade ago. Conversely, I've bought several Akubra hats from Hats Direct, Everything Australian, and Aussie Bush Hats & Oilskins that went perfectly.

I ordered a Carbon Grey Bogart. They sent me a black one. I emailed them pictures showing it was black and not the color I ordered. Hey, Carbon/Steel/Mid-Grey is dark, but it's not black! They would not admit the mistake, the best they came up with was "you can return it for a refund if you're not satisfied". Rather than paying the postage back to Australia, I put up an ad here and sold it to a domestic Lounger for a slight loss.

But this remains my only bad experience buying from Australia. I know plenty of other folks have had good experiences with Hats By the Hundred... but I'm also not the only one who's had a bad one. I will never recommend buying from them.

johnnycanuck

They also made the excuse that some hats have been damaged in the post latley when this is obviously just a case of them not packing it in the right size box with the rim supported. The snowy otherwise seems ok so I may keep it if I can improve the shape of the rim a little more. Johnny, what did you mean by the felt not being good on your colleague's hat? I took a look at your link but couldnt see where this is mentioned.
Jaffa
Not sure where you are referring but the felt was fine. It was a standard SnowyRiver with a croc band on it. But the croc band was glued on, not sewn. The hat was fine. Croc band was fine. Would probably have to be better attached later on.
Let us know what you are going to do. I was originally disappointed how vertical the sides of my SnowyRiver was and spent most of my first year walking in rain and flattening the brim. Hind sight I have fond memories but still prefer it with a flatter brim (better sun protection) let us know and wear it in good health.
Johnny

jaffathehat

New in Town
Thanks everyone for the feedback, looks like this time I have learnt the hard way- stick with what you know is good. I think I may keep the hat as it otherwise seems absolutely fine and I do not trust them to sort out a replacement because I'd probably end up with a deerstalker or something.
Johnny- ignore that question from my earlier reply as I think I simply misread you.
Jaffa

johnnycanuck

Thanks everyone for the feedback, looks like this time I have learnt the hard way- stick with what you know is good. I think I may keep the hat as it otherwise seems absolutely fine and I do not trust them to sort out a replacement because I'd probably end up with a deerstalker or something.
Johnny- ignore that question from my earlier reply as I think I simply misread you.
Jaffa
No problem man. Happens to all of us. But hay, if you flatten the brim a bit more you can go for a full John Wayne look.
C9B378EA-F4AA-4F6C-A861-406A26C683C2.jpeg

Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch