Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Leather jackets -

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So this thread is to serve a few purposes - one to chronicle a jacket I "just" received that is a surprise hit. Second is to give a place of information of this company - Just Leather out of San Jose, CA. From all I can find, the company is gone now.

And if you happen to own a "Just Leather" jacket, feel free to post photos & details here.

I found this jacket in the "finds & deals thread" a little over a week back. I had noticed it on ebay prior and realized it could be a fit. Then I made an offer on it and the seller accepted the offer. I arrived yesterday, and well, I have barely taken it off since I put it on. It was a great purchase.

This jacket is their California Highway Patrol jacket, and as is well known here, many other makers have copied this pattern. This CHP is notably simple of design, having no belt or belt loops. It is a rather heavy grade of steerhide leather, the whole jacket weighs over 8.5 lbs.

I am bit confused as to manufacturing date of this jacket. I would place it late 70's or early '80's, as it has the snap inside for a snap-in lining. This lining is missing in my jacket. I have not seen a jacket earlier than the '80's with these snaps inside, however that may just be my limited experience with this type of vintage jacket.

What is a bit more confusing here is that all the pocket and sleeve zippers are brass boxy Talon's - #5's as shows in the photos. Would I be correct in thinking these would have been earlier than the '70's?
IMG_9008.JPG

The main zipper is a replaced brass YKK that shows very little wear. It also was replaced very neatly in my opinion and the stitching is tight & true.

IMG_9007.JPG

The lining is a heavy duty, but easy wearing Rayon lining and I for one am happy the Just Leather saw fit to put the tags inside the snap-out liner. This one is a size 46 and fits like a 46L overall. It's a great fit on me as is with a layer or two underneath, and the side laces can be loosened up if needed.

When I first pulled the jacket out of the box, there was a noticeable odor of acetone - I suspect someone tried to remove the small "spray" marks of dull red-brown paint (likely deck stain) that is at the end of the RH sleeve. This is barely noticeable, see photos, and I think it gives it just a little bit of character. I will leave it as is:

IMG_9011.JPG

The "odor" has all but disappeared with simply wearing the jacket around all day, the leather smell is coming back nicely. The leather appears to be dyed-through, and the very small areas showing wear do not show much color loss. The leather on this jacket is the best part of the jacket. Not "spongy" at all, just thick, durable, and forms easily to the wearer. It is a heavy jacket, but does not feel heavy when it's on. So it's a good pattern as well.

Wear on sleeve underside:
IMG_9018.JPG

All this to say, if you run across an "early" Just Leather jacket in a size that fits, it may be worth a try. This was under $150 shipped. I cannot speak for the newer jackets they produced, hard to tell unless you have one in hand anyway. For a daily driver jacket, this will do nicely. Thanks for reading...photos below:
IMG_9015.JPG
IMG_9012.JPG IMG_9010.JPG IMG_9021.JPG
IMG_9006.JPG

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
So this thread is to serve a few purposes - one to chronicle a jacket I "just" received that is a surprise hit. Second is to give a place of information of this company - Just Leather out of San Jose, CA. From all I can find, the company is gone now.

And if you happen to own a "Just Leather" jacket, feel free to post photos & details here.

I found this jacket in the "finds & deals thread" a little over a week back. I had noticed it on ebay prior and realized it could be a fit. Then I made an offer on it and the seller accepted the offer. I arrived yesterday, and well, I have barely taken it off since I put it on. It was a great purchase.

This jacket is their California Highway Patrol jacket, and as is well known here, many other makers have copied this pattern. This CHP is notably simple of design, having no belt or belt loops. It is a rather heavy grade of steerhide leather, the whole jacket weighs over 8.5 lbs.

I am bit confused as to manufacturing date of this jacket. I would place it late 70's or early '80's, as it has the snap inside for a snap-in lining. This lining is missing in my jacket. I have not seen a jacket earlier than the '80's with these snaps inside, however that may just be my limited experience with this type of vintage jacket.

What is a bit more confusing here is that all the pocket and sleeve zippers are brass boxy Talon's - #5's as shows in the photos. Would I be correct in thinking these would have been earlier than the '70's?
View attachment 391641

The main zipper is a replaced brass YKK that shows very little wear. It also was replaced very neatly in my opinion and the stitching is tight & true.

View attachment 391642

The lining is a heavy duty, but easy wearing Rayon lining and I for one am happy the Just Leather saw fit to put the tags inside the snap-out liner. This one is a size 46 and fits like a 46L overall. It's a great fit on me as is with a layer or two underneath, and the side laces can be loosened up if needed.

When I first pulled the jacket out of the box, there was a noticeable odor of acetone - I suspect someone tried to remove the small "spray" marks of dull red-brown paint (likely deck stain) that is at the end of the RH sleeve. This is barely noticeable, see photos, and I think it gives it just a little bit of character. I will leave it as is:

View attachment 391645

The "odor" has all but disappeared with simply wearing the jacket around all day, the leather smell is coming back nicely. The leather appears to be dyed-through, and the very small areas showing wear do not show much color loss. The leather on this jacket is the best part of the jacket. Not "spongy" at all, just thick, durable, and forms easily to the wearer. It is a heavy jacket, but does not feel heavy when it's on. So it's a good pattern as well.

Wear on sleeve underside:
View attachment 391643

All this to say, if you run across an "early" Just Leather jacket in a size that fits, it may be worth a try. This was under $150 shipped. I cannot speak for the newer jackets they produced, hard to tell unless you have one in hand anyway. For a daily driver jacket, this will do nicely. Thanks for reading...photos below:
View attachment 391649 View attachment 391648 View attachment 391647 View attachment 391652
View attachment 391646
Great find and write up.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I bought one maybe about a year ago. Ebay measurements were way off and I had to return. I tried to sell here I think if you want to look up the old post. It was excellent, especially at the price. I reached out to the owners to date it and they were super friendly. Brought some sense of nostalgia to them. They unfortunately had to close up shop. I think the beginning of covid was the last nail in their coffin and if I recall they relocated to Arizona maybe? Not sure if they reopened a shop or are just selling left over stock.

From the one I handled, I'd put it in that mid tier group. Not quite Vanson or Schott, but pretty darn close. Rubbing elbows with say a Lesco, Branded Garments, Brooks, etc.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Very nice jacket! Love the quality of the leather. I am curious about the inside collar? Unlike the Cal., Just jackets brand used the cap and socket rather than the stud? I think this is a much better design similar in principal as in Vanson's. Would it be possible to view a close up image of the collar mouton attachment?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Photo2u - so those snaps inside the collar appear to only be for the snap in vest. They go around the inside of the jacket and are black in color. There are no provisions for a fur collar, but I probably could find someone willing to build & install just such a thing. Maybe a good idea even?

IMG_9045.JPG IMG_9046.JPG IMG_9047.JPG

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
The shop closed down in 2020. With Covid Lockdown, they were not able to stay open as an essential business. They were never able to reopen their doors.

There were several Motorcycle Clubs whose members wore their leather. Anyone who has seen an episode of Sons of Anarchy or Mayans MC - they sold a lot of club vests.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Right, quite a few details on thier Facebook page. I actually sent them an email providing some details of my jacket and this thread linked to it. Hope they respond, and maybe even better join FL community. They were looking to move from California. Hope thier travels go well.

Flying Monkey

New in Town
Nice looking jacket. I looked at this one but came to the conclusion that it was going to be a tad too large on me. I've never handled a Just Leather, (just drooled over them on ebay), but they appear to be pretty decent quality, similar to Branded Garments as was pointed out above. The older ones sported a large oval embroidered tag, either white or yellow that had kind of a hippie flair to it. Yours appears to be one of the later models with the eagle motif.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ I would say Branded is indeed similar.

A big differance I just found - moleskin pocket lining for all 4 pockets (inside and outside) and the leather used on some Branded, and most of the Fox Creek jackets is a "naked" cowhide. Which tends to be matte of finish, very soft and does not really ever break-in per se'. This is not that type of leather, neither was the more recent Branded I had that didn't fit well. This steerhide has a somewhat waxy feel, but is not the same at all as Horween CX Steerhide.

Looks like a solid CHP Randy. I really like the early models. They did great stuff with CR’s and their take on the collar is unmistakeable. Leather always looked good! Crumby pics of some I’ve screen grabbed. Never have found one in my size.
View attachment 391995 View attachment 391996 View attachment 391997 View attachment 391998

I woulda snagged the gray CR if it were in my size. Another gent is selling the entire gray racing suit for around $250, if I remember accurately. It doesn’t fit either. I continue to search for the elusive gray MC jacket lol.

^^ Right, quite a few details on thier Facebook page. I actually sent them an email providing some details of my jacket and this thread linked to it. Hope they respond, and maybe even better join FL community. They were looking to move from California. Hope thier travels go well.

I know the owners for over twenty years, and they are doing well. They have relocated to Arizona a few years ago due to insane rents in the bay area and covid. The company was started by the owners farther back in the sixties I believe.
They made great jackets, sad to see them gone.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I know the owners for over twenty years, and they are doing well. They have relocated to Arizona a few years ago due to insane rents in the bay area and covid. The company was started by the owners farther back in the sixties I believe.
They made great jackets, sad to see them gone.

Thanks Alan for weighing in on this jacket and the company / owners status.

I may look into the mouton collar this summer for this jacket -- too busy wearing it now to send it in! :)

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I found this beauty at a thrift store in Pescadero near SF. It was pretty grungy when I found it. I think it had been stored in a damp garage, which took a lot out of the leather. I took it in to Just Leather pre-pandemic when they were still open. They gave me some of the conditioner they used, which helped a lot. This jacket has the older gold tag. It is a little bit small for me, but I just cannot seem to part with it when I try to pass it along.

The zips are all YKK, but heavy duty. I like the snap cafe racer collar. The leather has a lot of graining and character. The chest pocket has a funny orange strip of leather inside.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran