Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

just ordered my first aero, have i made the right choice?

Mark

Practically Family
First post, just ordered my first Highwayman from aero. After much dithering and changing of my order (from brown steerhide) i'v settled for vintage brown horse with a Magenzie cotton linning, inside pocket. Amanda at aero very patient and helpful. However, still a bit nervous about aspects of the order. Basically i want a jacket that looks and fits perfect and will last me the rest of my life, i think this jacket will but is the Vintage a good choice as it is a bit softer ("tumbled" Amanda says to give it the Vintage look) and perhaps less durable?. Also, and this may sound a bit odd but at 46 years old i don't want to try and look 20 something! So want the jacket to have a slightly formal edge that will look ok on me when i'm 65! Do you know what i mean? I did'nt go for the brown as it is too shiny and stiff looking and i want it to look good quickly.
Another concern is size, Amanda advises a 36" for me. I don't want it tight rather a touch "relaxed" so i can wear a jumper underneath in Winter. My chest size is 35 relaxed and 36" expanded. Arm pit to arm pit 21.5. 36" seems it will be a little tight to me what do you guys think.
Just to add perhaps like some of you i have made some errors on the way to finding the perfect jacket (i'm some what embarrased to say some £1000.or so has found its way into charity shops and a clothes bank!!). Jackets i have at the moment include a too short and tight a fit an Adam jacket by Cirrus (same as the Highwayman) and a "naked" dry drummed full grain jacket from Territory Ahead, being American you can nearly get two of me in their S size! So...i want to get it right this time. Any tips or thoughts about my thoughts gratly appreciated. I still have some 6-8 weeks to go so plenty of time to change again. Cheers.

ps sorry for the naff spelling, can't find the spell check on here.

Edward

Bartender
I'd trust Amanda on the sizing, providing your measurements that you have given her are correct, and that you have made it clear to her what you want to wear underneath it. The highwayman is a classic style which you are unlikely to 'outgrow' in terms of maturity...... though only time will tell whether you're one of the lucky few who retains the size you are at nineteen years later!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Mark said:
Another concern is size, Amanda advises a 36" for me. I don't want it tight rather a touch "relaxed" so i can wear a jumper underneath in Winter. My chest size is 35 relaxed and 36" expanded. Arm pit to arm pit 21.5. 36" seems it will be a little tight to me what do you guys think.

I agree with Edward, you'll be fine. Not only because of Amanda, but because the Highwayman is a relaxed fit jacket in its standard form. If you're a true size 36 chest, a size 36 jacket will leave you plenty of room. As an example, I'm a true size 42 with a size 40 Highwayman -- and it still has ample room underneath for a sweater or similar garment.

I also would not worry about looking "out of sorts" at age 65. I'm nowhere near that age but the Highwayman is a classic look. I cannot imagine that the Highwayman's basic cut will fall by the wayside as the fashions that were prevalent when I was a teenager in the late 1980s (acid washed jeans, Members Only jackets, etc.). The Highwayman is rather timeless.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Well I've just turned 57 and I'm still getting away with wearing Highwayman jackets, vintage denim etc.

Apparently I keep telling people my age - which is a sure sign that one is getting old!

You'll be fine with your Aero! Good luck to you young man.......;)

Mark

Practically Family
Thankyou guys, your all so nice and helpful. Seriousley i do feel reassured by your comments...many Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.:)

OneStar

New in Town
Mark said:
First post, just ordered my first Highwayman from aero. After much dithering and changing of my order (from brown steerhide) i'v settled for vintage brown horse with a Magenzie cotton linning, inside pocket.
ps sorry for the naff spelling, can't find the spell check on here.

Hey Mark,
It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this jacket and I'm sure it will turn out really well for you. I'm in my early 50's and loving my new Highwayman in brown FQHH. Amanda supplied the perfect size from the measurments I provided. They know their stuff at Aero!

I asume the name you gave for your lining was a typo. I had Aero use the Weathered Mackenzie lining. I have attached a photo for reference so you can see how it comes up.

IMG_2610.jpg
[/IMG]

You might like to consider having the leather strip placed across the bottom of the jacket so the lining doesn't sag (see the photo). I did the same on the inside of my cuffs. I also had all my pockets lined with corduroy which I really like.

I hope you really enjoy it.

Cheers

Dav

One Too Many
Mark said:
Another concern is size, Amanda advises a 36" for me. I don't want it tight rather a touch "relaxed" so i can wear a jumper underneath in Winter. My chest size is 35 relaxed and 36" expanded.
QUOTE]

Hi Mark
My measurements are 41 relaxed 42.5 expanded I also specified that I would like to wear a jumper underneath, Amanda fitted me with a size 42 which is a good fit with a shirt on and a perfect fit with a jumper on without being tight, which was just what I wanted.
Hope that helps.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
In retrospect I would have added and inch or two to the Highwayman. Get it fitted tight because it will look like a rain poncho if it is too big.

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Mark and welcome on the Fedora Lounge!
At first, you have made a right choice in ordering an Aero jacket!
Second, the Highwayman is a rather "boxy" jacket. I am a 44 chest (inhaled) and finally ordered a 42 Highwayman.
The leather strap on the inside is an excellent option. I believe Aero will charge 50 UK/P for it, but it is worth doing so.
Good luck,
Andy

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Mark said:
a.....Another concern is size, Amanda advises a 36" for me. I don't want it tight rather a touch "relaxed" so i can wear a jumper underneath in Winter. My chest size is 35 relaxed and 36" expanded. Arm pit to arm pit 21.5. 36" seems it will be a little tight to me what do you guys think.

I understand that a "size 36" doesn't mean the actual chest circumference of the jacket is 36". Manufacturers add from 2 to 4 inches on top of the so-called "size xx". On conservative jacket designs and suits geared to older men it is 4 inches, for sleeker jacket designs or geared towards younger men it's usually 2 inches,...or so I have read.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Bonneville said:
I understand that a "size 36" doesn't mean the actual chest circumference of the jacket is 36". Manufacturers add from 2 to 4 inches on top of the so-called "size xx". On conservative jacket designs and suits geared to older men it is 4 inches, for sleeker jacket designs or geared towards younger men it's usually 2 inches,...or so I have read.
It's actually 6-8 inches that are added to the size on the tag. For example a size 44 Aero measures 25.5" pit to pit which translates to a 51" chest measurement.

Dav

One Too Many
Bonneville said:
"size 36" doesn't mean the actual chest circumference of the jacket is 36". .
That was exactly the trap I fell into when I ordered a Schott 585, my chest was about 42" so I thought I'd allow about 4" extra to accomodate the wearing of a jumper so I sent for a size XL, which is a 46, BIG MISTAKE, its way too big and so has only been worn a couple of times.
If anyone's interested in it let me know?

RLM

Familiar Face
I'd trust Aero's recommendation. They know their stuff. I'm a 42.5" chest relaxed and 44 inhaled. I have a 44 suit jacket that's a little large on me and a 42 that's too tight. I ordered a 44 and its perfect even with a heavy flannel shirt under it. I can't stand layering a bunch of clothes because that's just more stuff you have to take off once you're inside, and don't like sweaters, so a heavy flannel shirt is the most I'll be wearing under it. Being in the US I ordered through Mark Moye, their US rep. I told him all this when ordering and followed his advice on sizing. One thing I'd add is that if you are tall, over 6 feet, or long waisted, you may want to add an inch to the body length. I have not seen a Hwyman except in pics, so can't really say how it should fit, but I'm 6'1" and glad I added an inch to the length on my long half belt.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Welcome to the forum, Mark. I look forward to seeing pics of your new jacket once it arrives. :)

I ordered my first and currently only Aero FQHH leather jacket (NYPD) earlier this year and was concerned initially with sizing due to my tummy area being disproportionate to the rest of my body due to multiple abdominal hernia and heart surgeries, but Will and Amanda nailed my sizing perfectly (after I provided them all the measurements they requested) and I'm happy to say they made the absolute PERFECT-FITTING jacket for me that I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

I plan on going an entirely different route in terms of hide, color, etc. with my next Aero leather jacket and I can rest easily knowing that Will and Amanda have my sizing down pact. :)

There were a couple of things you mentioned in your initial post that I'll comment on... first regarding the durability of the vintage horsehide. I don't believe you'll find that it's less durable but others here may be able to confirm if what I say now is true in that I thought I read somewhere on here that the vintage HH is not as water resistant as the FQHH... can someone here confirm if this is true or not?

The other thing I wanted to comment on was when you said,
"at 46 years old i don't want to try and look 20 something"

I say don't be concerned about that... get a jacket that YOU LIKE, irregardless of whether the jacket will make you look 20 something... I'd take it as a compliment if someone told me that my leather jacket makes me look younger. :D

I plan on wearing my Aero NYPD jacket and my future 2nd Aero jacket for the rest of my life... I'm 36 years old right now... so decades from now when I grow old then people will just have to put up with me wearing a jacket that makes me look and feel younger. :)

Mark

Practically Family
Hi All

I'v been away for a week (camping New Forest), just read some more of your replys to my original post. Thankyou all again for your thoughts, really useful and reasuring, especially the age thing which i was a bit hung-up about.
Thanks OneStar for the photo, it was your jacket that inspired me to have the Weathered Mackenzie lining, it just looks made for the jacket, beautiful.

Thanks again.

Mark

CoveredPate

New in Town
You can't go wrong with an Aero. I purchased my Aero Long Half Belt two years ago. I went through the same "angst" as you after I placed my order. At the end of the day, everything worked out great. The only problem was the wait involved. It took almost 5 months for it to be made and delivered. Trust me, though, it's worth the wait.

Enjoy!

Jim

Mark

Practically Family
highwayman arrived 1st October

Thought i'd let you know my highwayman arrived at last (12 week wait!).After lots of chopping and changing with my order i settled on their regular brown horse with wethered makenzie lining. I was so nervous when it arrived fearing it would be too big, short etc but i'm glad to say it is fantastic, fits almost perfectly (ok the arms are a fraction too long and a little big on the lower arm and cuff but not a big deal at all) and the colour is stunning with slight variations, mottled looking. It's a bit shiny but thats normal i believe and i'v noticed one arm is shiny and the other not but again not a big deal. I'v been wearing it around the house to try and break it in a bit. It is heavy and stiff but unlike some folks i have'nt found it unwearable or too heavy. I do notice it's more stiff when the jacket is first put on but that soon goes as it warms up.
One small regret is that i did'nt request a strip of leather around the hem and cuffs to stop the linning wearing, i reakon it will be the first bit to wear but i guess you can always send it back to aero for that to be done.
Sorry no photo's as i don't know how to do it! But it looks pretty much as you expect.

ps Anyone interested in my not so old Adam Jacket from Cirrus (same as the Highwayman) It's beautiful, colour is fantastic, heavy steerhide. Sadly it's too small for me, size 34 i reakon. Hardly worn, Cirrus not as flexable as Aero, they would'nt change it but just added an inch onto the length (at a cost).

All the best Mark

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Congratulations Mark! Should get plenty of wear out if it now summers over. You may find that arm length will shorten a wee bit after a while as the sleeves around the elbows crinkle up with wear so a bit on the long side now is nothing to worry about.

Dav

One Too Many
Glad you're happy with your new jacket, that brown FQHH is a great choice I love mine, as for the sleeves I wouldn't worry about them being a bit long they will definitely shorten with wear.
Enjoy!

Hi Mark,

I ordered by first Aero in April and waited 6 months for the jacket to arrive, everyday worrying if I had got the right jacket and fit.

When my Cossack was finally delivered the style and fit was spot on, just as I ordered. As long as you have given Aero the right measurements and told Amanda what you want to wear with the jacket then Aero will come through for you.

Enjoy your jacket...they smell great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff