Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just returned: 10 day Road Trip to Utah, hitting four National Parks

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Went on my very first real road trip, in my little Toyota Yaris no less with my Mr. He figured we put about 2,800 miles on the car. No camping, we hoteled/moteled it. Even managed to find three places with pools as we are both swim babies big time. Had never been to UT.

Grandpa (visiting from AZ) hung out with my two teenagers back at home here in CA, and their Aunts and Uncles dropped by from time to time.

Crossed No. California from the SF area to Placerville into Nevada, drove across NV, then across to lower eastern Utah.

Got snow flurries in the Lake Tahoe area, enjoyed going through the Carson City Museum. Sent my kids a pic taken on my phone showing the snow, and my dd texted me back "No fair!"

About UT, its BIG! The first N.P. we hit was The Arches, then Natural Bridges, while staying a few days in the lovely little town of Moab, UT. Took a horseback ride and a trip on the Colorado River, caught the Rodeo one evening, and hunted for many petroglyph sites to go visit as we could find. Got into the 50 degree CO river water to cool off on the 90 degree plus day we were on the raft trip! In Moab, we got a chance to dress up fancy one evening, found a little bar/cafe with two gents playing music, and we danced to a couple of songs West Coast Swing and one song Cha Cha.

I had never really hiked before this, so over the course of this trip I became an adventuress!! At one park we hiked down a steep canyon four hundred feet. After that, I decided to buy the little embroidered patch from each park for myself, saying it was my "Hiking Merit Badge"! Every place we hiked my chest and neck were hurting and I felt like I couldn't breathe well, due to the high elevations. At one site we were well over 9,000 feet.

After the first two parks, on the way back across lower UT we went to Bryce Canyon and Zion. On the way home, went inside the Lehman Caves. Then again back onto HWY 50, "The loneliest road in America". Lastly, before re-entering CA we spent some time at the NV State Railroad Museum. Fun.

Have lots of pics of course, but they are all PRINTS as I couldn't find my digital camera to take, and my Mr. only brought his still camera.

HA! with all the pictures I've had taken over the last years for FL since I joined this place one thing I've learned is how to pose for a picture, much to my Mr.'s photographic delight. He kept saying "perfect" when I'd pose by a rock, in front of canyon formations, or a water feature, etc. during the trip. Once when I sat between two rocks for a pic, he actually said "you sure are a poser, you know just how to pose perfectly for a picture.":)

When I can get some of the pictures scanned into my laptop, I promise to post them! Okay, okay I do have ONE pic - of me in the 'fancy' dress I took along on the trip (my Mr. brought a black suit, charcoal gray tie and a button down shirt that coordinated with my dress color). Worn the night we went dancing for a bit in Moab, UT, I kept the dress put away so as to be as a complete surprise for when we went out. This pic was taken by my dd Sarah yesterday on her iTouch.
IMG_0977.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Great photo! At first I thought you took the nearly 3,000 mile road trip in that old Dodge! Look forward to your photos from Bryce and Zion.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks.

HA, that's a good one delectans! Don't I wish...:)The current owner said to me yesterday when I called to get more info on this Dodge that "you could drive this car anywhere in the world". Folks did just these kind of road trips in the old days to see big ol' America. And Utah (at least the parts of it I saw) sure is BIG!

Great photo! At first I thought you took the nearly 3,000 mile road trip in that old Dodge! Look forward to your photos from Bryce and Zion.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
First couple of PICS!!

After leaving Placerville, about an hour and a half we were approaching the South Lake Tahoe area and suddenly we were driving in SNOW flurries! I couldn't believe it, SNOW in June!
Photos1_5.jpg

Me in my Spring/Summer travel clothing I had brought along- in the SNOW!
junepics6.jpg

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
National Park number two- Natural Bridges

Having just hiked down the steep trail some 400 feet, yeah- that little speck is me! After two days of hiking at two N.P. I had earned my "Hiking Merit Badge"!
junepics8.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
At Canyonlands at the end of the day, after a morning horseback ride and an afternoon raft trip down the Colorado River.

I ran out on a rock edge, shouting to the vast landscape before me- "Woo Hoo! Look at me, I am an adventurer, I am fearless!"
pics3.jpg

As my man quickly pointed out to me as he took this picture of the same from this angle as the sun was setting, I was ALSO out on a very thin rock LEDGE!!
pics1.jpg

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Not sure where this was taken, gotta check with my road buddy- yeah, the speck by the rock opening is him. Utah is BIG!
junepics7.jpg

Not sure if this one is at Bryce or Zion- my handsome Mr.
Pics2.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful photo documentary of your trip! They sure bring back some vivid memories of traveling with my family as a kid through those same National Parks. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

TheValk

New in Town
Thanks for the great story and pics- We hopep to get over there 2012 to see something of that country, and more.
ps Didi you say taking print pics? would that be 35mm pre-digital?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana