Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Driving my wife nuts dept. = I pointed out to her that the silver tab on the end of his hatband was missing this season.
Doesn't the wardrobe dept keep an eye out for things like this?
My wife says she doesn't look for stuff like this. I say I don't either but just notice them....her reply was "Hat Nerd!"

MikePotts

Practically Family
The new crazy eyed henchman with the single action revolver had himself a new fedora made "Custom, cost a pretty penny" and I must admit it looked kinda cool! - anyone here have anything to do with that?

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Last edited:

jlw

One of the Regulars
I read an article the other day that Elmore Leonard doesn't like the hat they use for Raylan Givens. Apparently, he envisioned a Stetson Open road for the character. He didn't specify that in the short story, "Fire in the Hole", though. Instead he described the hat and the one they use does match that description. Anyway, this old BOP would have been a great compromise. The look of the Open Road with a little more size for the western effect.

I've read similar things on Leonard's statements about the hat. In one, he said he envisioned the same type of hat worn by the cops in the picture with Lee Harvey Oswald.

lee-harvey-oswald.jpg

Reactions: 007
I've read similar things on Leonard's statements about the hat. In one, he said he envisioned the same type of hat worn by the cops in the picture with Lee Harvey Oswald.

lee-harvey-oswald.jpg

Yep, I've read Fire in the Hole & other shorts by Elmore Leonard that introduced Raylan Givens plus book Raylan he wrote afterwards. The Open Road is the hat as he described it, kind that ranch owners wore...the character also wore suits different from what TO wears, lots of creative license taken. I like the hat used but would've loved if a good, vintage 7X CB Open Road was used. JMHO

jlw

One of the Regulars
Yep, I've read Fire in the Hole & other shorts by Elmore Leonard that introduced Raylan Givens plus book Raylan he wrote afterwards. The Open Road is the hat as he described it, kind that ranch owners wore...the character also wore suits different from what TO wears, lots of creative license taken. I like the hat used but would've loved if a good, vintage 7X CB Open Road was used. JMHO

In the short story, Raylan shot Boyd with a S&W .45 wheelgun, a target model if I remember correctly. The Raylan/Boyd linkage in the show was not the original plan, but the chemistry between the two along with Walton Goggins' performance in the pilot caused the show to change course. Originally, Boyd was supposed to die in the pilot.

In the short story, Raylan shot Boyd with a S&W .45 wheelgun, a target model if I remember correctly. The Raylan/Boyd linkage in the show was not the original plan, but the chemistry between the two along with Walton Goggins' performance in the pilot caused the show to change course. Originally, Boyd was supposed to die in the pilot.

Yep, Raylan did not carry a Glock like he does on TV...he also had son(s) & was no longer cordial with his ex-wife....

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family

The problem is that the books are somewhat out of date on important points and inaccurate on others. The tech advisor (Charlie A.) would not leave such an anachronism as a revolver for the primary handgun in the modern age because people know this is no longer reality.

Also, the LBJ styled Open Road hat is not common to them today. Was not common all the way back through the early 1980s.

Fed

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Some TV shows are adaptations or based on books.
Look at The Walking Dead, Andrea ans Sofia are still alive in the books and in the show they died long ago. Darryl do not exist.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
SPOILER ALERT:
When the hat hits the ground in stops with brim down but in the next shot it appears crown down and we're able to see a XXXX marking on the sweatband.
We also can see the liner of the new hat when the previous owner is laying on the ground.

justified11.png

justified12.png

jlw

One of the Regulars
Spoiler:

Olyphant on the hats:

I’ll tell you what I did do: I kept the other hat. [In the finale, Raylan kills a hired gun and takes his hat.] I had that one made for me. I’ve always said let’s kill the hat before we kill Raylan, you know? Elmore never liked the hat. Let’s put a bullet in the hat. Then I thought, I should get another hat, one that I didn’t wear for six years. So then I get a free hat out of the show.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
SPOILER ALERT:
When the hat hits the ground in stops with brim down but in the next shot it appears crown down and we're able to see a XXXX marking on the sweatband.
We also can see the liner of the new hat when the previous owner is laying on the ground.

justified11.png

justified12.png

Great screen grab!

Stetson San Angelo Collection 4X Marshall. In spite of Stetson's poor spelling and the wool material, this seems to answer the hat question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ