Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Cool: Fans and Parasols

pigeon toe

One Too Many
GoldwynGirl, you are too cute! That tiki/Hawaiian 50's look is one of my favorites, it's so hard to come by dresses like that. You totally pulled it off!

I have one vintage fan that belonged to my great grandmother when she was in high school. My grandma gave it to me when I graduated. I have it kept tucked away, I'm really scared of something happening to it so I never used it, I just pull it out to look at it sometimes!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Funny story

goldwyn girl said:
Always happy to supply a pic :)

52-R1-17-8.jpg
I had one like this, but cheap one that was lime green.

I was in Austin for a car show and bright Texas sun. One of the vendors had some of the paper ones from a craft store. I bought one for $10, ( I know I could of bought one from a craft store for around $5, but I was out of state and didn't want to try and find one) I was carry it around and it was serving it's purpose in life. I was sitting by our car with some friends (this was toward the late afternoon) when this girl who was dressed more for getting her picture taken than the enjoyment of wearing vintage clothing, came up to me and ask if I would sell my umberlla to her. She said she would give me $100 for it. I said sure. Got the $100 for my $10 paper umberlla. Later that week-end at a different car function I saw her with it. At least she got use it twice for that kind of money. We all had a good laugh. I don't think I would ever be that disperate.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
I stocked up on silk parasols in Chang Mai back in 1986 - they're still handy!

DSCN0286.jpg
Too bad there are modern cars on the street. It would been a wonderful picture. You do look lovely though. I like the dress.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
GoldwynGirl, you are too cute! That tiki/Hawaiian 50's look is one of my favorites, it's so hard to come by dresses like that. You totally pulled it off!
Thank you pigeon toe. I collect and wear vintage hawaiian clothing.

Mojito, you look lovely.

Red, such pretty fans.

hotrod_elf, too funny, I guess she REALLY wanted your umbrella.

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't have a pic of me with my parasol. I don't take many pictures I'm noticing. Anyway, this is the same parasol I have:
U-LgPecock1.JPG

I'll try to take more pics as the summer goes on.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have a few parasols as well. My favorite "vintagey" one is from Chinatown. I got this one at the Ren Faire, and while not very vintage, it's fun.
l_0d55392a7ff6d355798bad3ef46f83fd.jpg

K

killertomata

I couldn't live without my parasol. I can't handle the sun at all, and so I don't leave home without my parasol if I think I will be outside at all. I use a black velvet Victorian style parasol. I use it when I walk to the store, I take it to Disneyland, parks, everywhere it's allowed. It's small enough to fit on rides with me easily.

It's the perfect one-person size and not awkward to carry around, and just the right size that when it's closed it's cane length. I actually get compliments on it all the time, from every type of person you can imagine. But I'm also in a big city and so people are more used to seeing such things. Besides, a lot of women here in SoCal use umbrellas daily and ask about my parasol because it's more compact than an actual umbrella for shading oneself. The company that made it went out of business before they even sent it to me- it almost didn't get sent- so it's very unique and I've yet to see anyone walking around with one like it.

parasol.jpg

Soon I'll invest in a more casual, vintagey parasol in colors that will go with more, but this will always be my favorite.

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I've been wanting a parasol for such a long time now, but living in Scotland we rarely get the weather....
I'm going to Florida & New Orleans during the summer though, does anybody think I would need one there?
Miss Bella Hell, that's a great parasol!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lola Valentine said:
I've been wanting a parasol for such a long time now, but living in Scotland we rarely get the weather....
I'm going to Florida & New Orleans during the summer though, does anybody think I would need one there?

Yes, I would get one if you're going to be spending any amount of time outside. The sun can be harsh there, but it's really the humidity that's going to kill you.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to own and host the largest hand fan site in the world - 800+ pages.

I've taken it down, but if you ladies want some information, I can either re-post the site somewhere or pull bits of information and pics out and post the info here. (I should probably just find where I put the site, repost it, and throw a link up - it's easier).

Anyway, I have tons of fan pics, so I'll start posting them when I have some time.

Note to self: Why oh why do I offer to do this huge amount of work? Am I insane? :eek: :eusa_doh: lol

Vintage Betty

Miss 1929

I am awestruck as usual.

What does Vintage Betty NOT have the biggest collection of?
I have parasols and fans galore, but no pictures - I will scan some at work today. I HATE not having a home scanner!

Vintage Betty

Miss 1929 said:
What does Vintage Betty NOT have the biggest collection of?
I have parasols and fans galore, but no pictures - I will scan some at work today. I HATE not having a home scanner!

Sorry, I am sure that sometimes I come across as bragging, which I am really not trying to do. If you don't want to see this info, I'll be sure not to post.

As I said to my husband over dinner last night: "This is the first time I've met people who I can share my interests with...I'm more than excited, even after being on this site for a year".

I'm looking forward to your pics.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

French Hand-Painted Fan, circa 1850

French Hand-Painted Fan, circa 1850

*I will be selling most of these fans. So if you see something you are interested in, drop me a line.

I have notes somewhere on this fan, and about the painter, but the information is not immediately available. I know this is hand-painted French and was probably a court fan. I think it may have been circa 1850 if memory serves me correctly.

The frame is almost certainly Victorian.

1850_French_fan1.JPG

1850_French_fan2.JPG

1850_French_fan3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR