Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping seasonal traditions????

openroad

New in Town
Does anyone keep to a old tradition that I heard of when I was younger of wearing only straw in the spring and summer and felt in the fall and winter?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Hey openroad. Though we keep track of the rules, I don't think any of us enforce them.
(Well, maybe indycop;))

Take a look at these links:

kaosharper1

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Yeah, it seems a lot of Loungers follow that Memorial Day to Labor Day drill for the straws - - except we Floridians who get a few extra months of 'summer simmer' each year.
:)

G

Same here in Pasadena. It was in the 90s Tuesday and Wednesday and I wore the panamas. Today it was 75, and I wore my DM Akubra Adventurer but I think I still could have worn a panama.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I break that rule regularly.
Felts year round if I'm going out after dark even on days when it tops 100.

I'm one of those that feels that a straw hat is just not fully a hat.

I can keep a felt on my head on windy days but straws start doing the brim flop and then they go airborne.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
I've been struggling with this myself. Per the calendar, Fall is here, and I've been trying to wear my felt hats. But, even in OH and KY (my home and sales territory), it has still been hitting 85 during the day.

Tough call.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
I figure if wearing my felts means I'm taking them off every few minutes to wipe the sweat off, it's still straw weather. I dislike having my hat slide around as it sits on my head. There have been only a couple of days lately I could get away with felt here in SC.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'm in New Mexico, and maybe its because I'm a very warm individual, but I just barely switched over to felt regularly now. I think the official date was around the third of October. Still, it gets very hard for me to wear felt in anything over about 70 degrees.

So yes, I don't really follow that rule. I do what works for me.

kiltie

Practically Family
Agreed...

I break that rule regularly.
Felts year round if I'm going out after dark even on days when it tops 100.

I'm one of those that feels that a straw hat is just not fully a hat.

I can keep a felt on my head on windy days but straws start doing the brim flop and then they go airborne.

I'm with you Suited, although I've pulled out the Panama for Easter get-ups and the like. Usually it's felt all year long, even though it regularly hovers near a hundred or more in the summer ( it's supposed to be 88 today ). Why gear yourself to calander days when the weather's not going to pay attention, anyway? ;)

panama jack

One of the Regulars
I'm still waiting for my first felt had to come. I just ordered a Stylemaster last week. I will be going to St. Martin in another week and will be bringing my straw hat with me.

Neil

A-List Customer
Time of Year Etiquette

I live in the DC area, where it gets quite hot and stays warm into November. The other day, I was standing at an intersection and a fellow in a nice Panama crossed ahead of me. I asked the woman next to me what she thought. She replied that she thought it was after Labor Day. What is the etiquette for hats after summer ends but on days when it is still too hot for felt?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A hat should first and foremost be an item of utility. While I am very much in favor of respecting traditional seasonal changes, I think if it's very warm then one can certainly wear a straw. I might not wear it with a seersucker suit (well, I wouldn't after Labor Day), but I would, and have, worn the straw.

duggap

Banned
What rules

Ok, here is the answer to your situation. It was the hat wearing community of old that made the rules. They quit wearing hats so all rules expired. Now, we, as the new generation of hat wearers, should make our own set of rules. Kinda like that beer commercial were they take a "man vote". Now as to straw, I propose as rule 1 for Panamas, if you don't need a coat or jacket then it is ok to wear straw. If you need a jacket or coat, then felt is required. So what is your vote on this rule.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff