Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kevin McAndrews Fedora

Mrs.Little Lady

New in Town
70448581-47A9-4543-BC24-93371BF3C04B.jpeg
891C9C69-0042-46CE-A303-55C476C1D016.jpeg
908BF1C9-3C14-4210-BCD2-CCC5F98B6C8E.jpeg
E2C28AD6-FA5A-4706-84D5-3CA2F741EF9E.jpeg
Hi! This is my first post and I am also New to Estate sale buying and I have come into several vintage men’s fedoras and would love more information on them!

I am selling them but I am more Importantly looking for information so That I know what to look for when shopping future estate sales.

I have one that I am particularly attracted to and would love your input!
Thanks for having me around!

I am selling them but I am more Importantly looking for information so That I know what to look for when shopping future estate sales.

Welcome to the lounge. You've stumbled upon a site filled with folks who are interested in all things hats. Vintage, fedoras, caps and western hats along with customs from a number of makers. The collection and sharing of information about all thing hats is central to this place.

What I don't find this site to be is one that often provides others with the information needed to maximize ones profit in the selling of "hats". The custom makers mentioned here have learned what the market will bear in regards to their offerings. Most here who aspire to market hats, vintage or otherwise, will have spent the time reading the threads pertinent to the information they seek and learning what the value of a particular piece is by researching what the fair market value is. That is, post it on the bay for $.99 for a week and see what it brings. If it's "truly" vintage, rare, desirable for any number of reasons that I won't share with you, some member here is likely to buy it.

Having said that, the hat you've posted is a relatively modern factory production hat that epitomizes all that is wrong with the modern factory hat business. It ain't bringing much.

View attachment 138318 View attachment 138315 View attachment 138316 View attachment 138317 Hi! This is my first post and I am also New to Estate sale buying and I have come into several vintage men’s fedoras and would love more information on them!

Welcome to the Lounge!

There is a huge amount of information on vintage hats. Boiling it down to something that would be useful to an estate buyer is a tough order. As someone who is far from an expert, here’s my advice as generalizations;

Learn to tell fur felt apart from wool felt. Stick with fur for the best returns.

Look for hats that have wider width brims. 2 3/8 to 3 inches is the sweet spot for men’s fedoras.

Look for hats that have a crown height of close to or exceeding 5 1/2 inches.

Look for hats where the crown has minimal taper (straight sided hats are more sought after).

Don’t believe people when they date a hat for you. The majority of hats purported to be from the 1950s and earlier turn out to be more recent. This goes for the person who swears it was the great grandfather’s hat who had it in the 1940s. Do your own research and get an true manufacture date range. Hats made in the 1940s or earlier are most desired, hats from the 1950s are hit or miss, and hats from the 1960s or later are significantly less desirable. There are always exceptions to this.

Black hats tend to sell for less than other colors, but not always.

Condition is paramount and knowing the size is and absolute necessity if you hope to get top dollar.

Good luck. We hope to see you around here often.

View attachment 138318 View attachment 138315 View attachment 138316 View attachment 138317 Hi! This is my first post and I am also New to Estate sale buying and I have come into several vintage men’s fedoras and would love more information on them!

This particular hat, being a beaver 25, will sell if priced right. It’s among the best of its breed, and an extra long oval to boot. The problem is the crown is low, the brim is small (stingy) and there is significant taper in the crown. Some people like this style; however, these hats normally don’t sell for much. That “same” hat with a 2 5/8 inch wide brim and a 5 1/2 inch tall crown (without a nasty factory pressed in crease), and minimal taper would go for 2-4 times what this hat will probably bring.

There are so many variables that unless you are willing to commit to many hours of study you’ll only be able to guess as to value.

I’ll second the recommendation that you put them on eBay with a low starting price without a reserve and list the hats accurately with lots of details. The market will let you know what they are worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

RJR

This particular hat, being a beaver 25, will sell if priced right. It’s among the best of its breed, and an extra long oval to boot. The problem is the crown is low, the brim is small (stingy) and there is significant taper in the crown. Some people like this style; however, these hats normally don’t sell for much. That “same” hat with a 2 5/8 inch wide brim and a 5 1/2 inch tall crown (without a nasty factory pressed in crease), and minimal taper would go for 2-4 times what this hat will probably bring.

There are so many variables that unless you are willing to commit to many hours of study you’ll only be able to guess as to value.

I’ll second the recommendation that you put them on eBay with a low starting price without a reserve and list the hats accurately with lots of details. The market will let you know what they are worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

mark_m

New in Town
Nice Kevin McAndrew 4X Beaver in size 7 ¼. The open crown is approximately 5 ⅜” and the brim is 2 ⅛” with a nice felted Cavanagh edge. The felt is very nice and has a suede finish.

View attachment 465441 View attachment 465442 View attachment 465443 View attachment 465445 View attachment 465446

This hat is destined for eBay unless someone here wants it.
Beautiful hat; it was a bit snug but my hat guy gave it a little stretch this morning while I went out for coffee and it's on my head right now:) Any idea when this would have been made? The label doesn't look too vintage but the price does:)
p.s. thanks:)

Beautiful hat; it was a bit snug but my hat guy gave it a little stretch this morning while I went out for coffee and it's on my head right now:) Any idea when this would have been made? The label doesn't look too vintage but the price does:)
p.s. thanks:)

It’s a great hat and I’m glad it found a good home. I’d guess this hat is 1970s, so maybe close to 50 years old. I’m glad you were able to make it fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner