Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khakis

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Khakis are not something current British manufacturers do well (not at a price I can afford, anyhow). So I'm thinking of ordering a couple of pairs from Bill's Khakis.

Has anyone got any recommendations regarding the various styles/weights of fabric? Are they good value? Should I buy big or small? I'm thinking of the 'Filson factor' here, which allows for plenty of breathing space for regular sized fellows...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
Khakis are not something current British manufacturers do well (not at a price I can afford, anyhow). So I'm thinking of ordering a couple of pairs from Bill's Khakis.

Hi, Creeping Past.

Are you trying to avoid the WW2 military angle..?

SoF have WW2 British Khaki trousers, in their "Reenactors/British" section.
They are high-waisted, full seated, pleats front and back and have a slight taper to the lower leg but still a fairly wide cuff. Early model, no thigh pocket.

Originals in useful sizes are becoming expensive.

B
T

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I like Bill's Khakis, but they are a little pricey for not being exact reproductions. I see that you are in England, but in the US, Bill's Khakis sometimes show up at Nordstrom Rack at marked down prices.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Hi, Creeping Past.

Are you trying to avoid the WW2 military angle..?

SoF have WW2 British Khaki trousers, in their "Reenactors/British" section.
They are high-waisted, full seated, pleats front and back and have a slight taper to the lower leg but still a fairly wide cuff. Early model, no thigh pocket.

Originals in useful sizes are becoming expensive.

B
T

Thanks for that, BT. Although I tend to veer away from military gear, I'm getting drawn into the WW2 military web(bing), as the only other places for good quality, natural fibre, vintage-looking outdoors clothing seem to be your Holland and Hollands, etc.

I've a bias against pleats (they tend to give me a 'sack of spuds' appearance) but will look into SoF's trousers, having already bought a couple of their aertex-type shirts. I'm developing an appreciation for high-waisted trousers and braces/suspenders, with one pair (corduroy) in the bag and another (moleskin) on order.

If they don't suit, I'll see what WWII Imps and WPG have to offer.

"Useful sizes": I'm with you on that. We're talking mens' sizes, not boys'

Thanks again,

CP

Edward

Bartender
Does anyone know if SoF and WPG source their products from the same place? It seems to me that the US based companies offer similar looking items at a significantly lower price than UK.... (I often find, espcially gonig via eBay, that I can buy identical items from the US for less than in the UK, even allowing for international shipping. [huh] ). Course, I'm prepared to pay a touch more for quality....

In terms of period-style khaki trousers, I've ordered a pair of the Wested Indiana Jones trews, hich are now on their way to me..... it'll be intersting to see how those are. I'm also looking at Indy Magnoli as a source (once I have the time to have my measurements properly done) for period style trousers in non-military colours. :)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Take a look at Sierra Trading post for Bill's.
I bought all of mine there except for one, their "WWII Original" Button Fly. I have two in linen, one British Khaki in cotton/wool (I forget what they called it), one canvas, and two poplin. Sizing is a bit inconsistent, I find. Half of mine wound up as 31 and the other half 32-waist. Sierra is good about the returns, which is nice if you want the fit just so. You can certainly find a "steal" there. The Bill's Khakis are listed as overstocks not 2nds. I also bought a black linen pair at Sierra in 30 waist that turned out to be a bit too tight, and none available larger, so I gave them to slightly thinner twin brother who lives in south Florida. I had to convince him to take them. He doesn't wear much away from shorts, but he says they're cool and comfortable, and he loves em.

Edward, what is your shipping cost in USD when ordering pants overseas? Just curious.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Edward said:
Does anyone know if SoF and WPG source their products from the same place?

Don't know for sure, but I've just got an aertex khaki pullover shirt and 4-pocket aertex shirt/jacket from SOF that have the remains of white labels removed from inside that look an awful lot like WPG white labels.

Edward

Bartender
Hmmn.... interesting. I've been looking at the trousers myslef - I'll have to look at shipping costs from WPG, but if those aren't too high, I think their prices are in general pretty cheap.

rumblefish said:
Edward, what is your shipping cost in USD when ordering pants overseas? Just curious.

Varies a lot - I think on average I normally pay maybe double for shipping items from the US as the UK (unless the UK seller will only ship by certain methods, then it's less of a distinction). Given though that identical items will often sell in the US for maybe no more than 60% of the UK price, it's a bit of a no brainer!

Course, that's not uniformly the case - sometimes US sellers require certain shipping methods which up the price considerably too.

Edward

Bartender
BellyTank said:
Yes, they have a partnership, of sorts.
I have commented recently, about receiving WPG stock from SoF.

B
T

Ah ha! I thought I'd read that somewhere - must have been one of your posts. :)

LeeB

Familiar Face
For my money (being a family man) the best khakis to be found are the Timber Creek brand by Wrangler. These don't cost an 'arm and a leg' as the saying goes and although perhaps not period correct, they are the best wearing. most comfotable khakis to be found. I wear them for just about every occasion and activity (including camping/hiking).
The best part is, you can get them, in most cases, for less than 20 bucks.

The only khakis I've liked better were from a store named J.R. Riggins that has since gone the way of the dodo. I have two pair of those khakis that are still in use after about 15 years.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
You may want to look at some from the Orvis company, I have a few pair flat front and are real comfortable.

I use to wear Bill's but there was just to much fabric, i felt like I was wearing a bag,

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Kilted_Surveyor said:
Does anyone have any idea where I can get a pair of khakis with the "ghurka" style waist band? All I can find are the shorts.
You might give Bill's a call, they offered them at one time though they're not showing any on their site. Nick Charles scored a pair off Ebay.

Kilted_Surveyor

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
You might give Bill's a call, they offered them at one time though they're not showing any on their site. Nick Charles scored a pair off Ebay.

Thanks, Tomasso!
I might have been bidding against Mr. Charles on those! :eusa_doh:
I had some communications with a very helpful gentleman with the Customer Service Dept. at Bills and he told me that they are no longer making them due to cost/quality issues. I inquired about buying the pattern from them, but I have not received an answer as of yet. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80