Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kicked off a watch forum!

More worrisome than the fora is the money watches take. I got into it kinda deep, and then I realized I was spending way too much and sold off all but three which I rotate through. Even those three would buy a decent car, but I was really hooked and decided it was time to get out. Jackets and clothing is not cheap, but compared to watches...
Every hobby has it's show-offs and "my brand is best" guys. Motorcycles are another tough lot to deal with. I've mod'd forums over the years too, and it's a headache dealing with people like me lol

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I do like wearing inexpensive vintage watches. Some of the old dollar watches look pretty good. Some people are really surprised to see some of the old brands in use as well.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Interestingly people in the international forums are more easy going than the ones in german forums. I think that should tell me something about my countryfellows... :confused:

@ButteMT61: Been there, done that! a lot of money can be burned with the watch hobby and one easily looses all sense of proportionality. :eusa_doh:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I have a Bunn Special, which I love, and a few New York Watch Co, E. Howard, and other decent watches, but I usually carry an Ingersoll Radiolite "Dollar Watch". Am still looking for a good "One Armed" Waterbury, from the land of the eternal spring...

Rathdown

Practically Family
I own three watches: A Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner that I bought back in 1967, a Patek Phillipe Calatrava with hob nail case which was a birthday present to myself on my 40th Birthday, and $29.00 Citizen watch (my "muggers watch") that looks vaguely like it might be expensive. Like my motorcar I have noticed that watches which are perceived to be expensive do engender envy/anger in some rather mean spirited people. Amongst well-adjusted people the watch I am wearing excites no more comment than my shoe laces. While it is true that some vulgar people do own expensive watches, it is also true that some vulgar people feel obliged to comment on that fact. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I find it interesting that these snotty young people are so into watches. Most young people I know don't wear a watch, they use their phone. I wonder if a watch will become a luxury item- in the sense only the very expensive manufacturers that cater to this "show off" group will stay in business as watches become less popular.

I'd die without a watch. If I had to look at my cell phone every time I look at my watch, the cell battery would be dead by noon.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
watches which are perceived to be expensive do engender envy/anger in some rather mean spirited people. Amongst well-adjusted people the watch I am wearing excites no more comment than my shoe laces. While it is true that some vulgar people do own expensive watches, it is also true that some vulgar people feel obliged to comment on that fact. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black...

images

There's only two high-end watches that I would really like to have and the funny thing is since I'm a collector I would probably wear them very rarely, if at all. And I agree that modern Breitlings are way too gaudy for my taste. Of course my regular watches are the Citizen Skyhawk and Poljot Shturmanskie.

Wish/Want List Watches:

1965 Breitling Top Time Chrono
breitlingtoptimegeneve.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Apollo XIII Edition
I also collect almost anything Snoopy
OmegaSnoopy.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well as far as "Wish-list Watches" go, I own mine, but shall never afford to have it repaired. It is a lovely William Creak quarter repeater, dating to around 1780, with a stunning pierced inner case. Unfortunately the gold pair case was lost to the scrappers in 1980. This watch is complete, save for the outer case. It has a good fusee chain, but the verge is broken and the pivots are rather badly worn, so repairs would be quite expensive. It is a lovely bauble, though.

In my youth, I had a bit of a mania for common Swiss cylinder escapement watches. Still have a couple of shoe-boxes full of 'em. Mostly with broken cylinders.

Last edited:
VC, the Apollos have been on my list for years. But I'm not going to play in this thread any more 'cause its like a crack head hanging in an alley. Trouble is bound to come of it! ;)

They sound like Corvette guys. In high school, I drove a Corvette, bought at a bargain, but it was a Corvette. When you're 17, driving an '80 'Vette in that Stingray bodystyle makes you feel pretty good. I remember being at work at K-Mart one time and they Corvette guys always met a couple times a year in the parking lot and they'd come in and buy a few things, always decked out in their Corvette gear.

One time, I was making conversation with the guys as I was assisting them and mentioned that I had the gray one parked at the top of the lot. They all said things along the lines of "oh, an 80? Well, that's fine if you like THOSE kind of Corvettes." Still bothers me now.

I told you this story to tell you this, people with fancy toys are no better than anybody else. They just have enough money to buy that item, and choose to buy that item. Anybody can do it, really.

I never got the point of putting down somebody else who's interests are similar to yours. I love when people post pics of their clothes, or items, or whatever, here on the Lounge, because it pertains to my interests and it's fun to see other people enjoying something similar. If you're in the same hobby, you should try to be supportive of people in the hobby. If you chase everyone away by being too flashy, or by being to rude, or some-such, the hobby will eventually die off, because no new blood is going to have any interest.

I was a moderator and co-administrator at a large watch forum and "kicked myself out of it" because of the Rolex guys. Don´t get me wrong, nothing´s wrong with a Rolex if you can afford it. I got myself four in a row but sold them all because of the "Rolex-only" bunch. Although there are a lot of nice people (the one´s in this fine forum included) the Rolex wearers I´ve met (online and in person) were a bunch of ignorant show offs with no interest in horology at all. The hardly knew how a mechanic watch works but surely knew that Rolex builds the best, because of what reason ever. [huh]

Please don´t take my rant as an offense, it´s just personal experience. I might even still buy a Rolex one day.... ;)

Feraud

Bartender
So what is the rest of the story? It usually takes a lot for some one to get completely kicked off a forum. To me is says something to come here and whine about it.
Why assume that wasn't the whole story? It doesn't take much to get booted from a forum.
The OP isn't whining about it, just sharing his experience.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
With a name like that it'd have to. Sounds like a minor aristocrat in a P. G. Wodehouse novel.

In addition to my Bulova and my Hamilton, I have my grandfather's pocket Waltham -- a pretty common watch as such things go, but the story behind it is more valuable than the watch: he won it in a poker game from one of the local high-hats, and kept it for the rest of life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy